1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

BOXING yesterday & today

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ben brockton, Jul 2, 2012.

1. venom

venom Top Dog

Re: BOXING yesterday & today

I still take them over lewis.

2. Re: BOXING yesterday & today

It seems to me that Lewis benefitted from an era when the good fighters were on the decline. Bowe, Gullotta, Tyson, Holyfield. All past there prime.

3. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Didnt lewis fight one of th klitchkoz before he retired and got beat??

4. venom

venom Top Dog

A lot of fighters do. A lot of it is timing.

Its hard to think who would reign on top had everybody been in their prime in the same era.

Its not hard to see a guy like hearns cleaning up in boxing today...

but at the same time, everybody's golden years always seem superior in their eyes.

each generation has a certain period where things just arent like they use to be.

I've grown up in a Floyd mayweather, roy jones jr, now pacman etc.

those in my generation will view this as superior to whats to come next.

5. Re: BOXING yesterday & today

No. He won on a cut. He was getting beat. He was behind on 3 cards when it was stopped.

6. blanch

blanch Big Dog

despite the fact he beat the better brother in his prime while past it and very out of shape.
    (before it comes up if Lewis hadn't of cut Klit he would of focused more on outboxing him than stopping him and won that way instead)

do you dislike him because he effectively killed the American heavyweight scene?

because that was always going to happen when the eastern euros came around anyway,he just stopped them lingering for as long.

7. venom

venom Top Dog

I dont dislike him and I've never been about any sort of scene. I watch boxing because I like to see people fight. I dont buy into hype, I do not need to be spoon fed superstars for me to believe boxing is well and alive! Lol. I have no real opinion about Lewis and he was getting his ass kicked by vitale. Its only speculation for you to assume he would have won considering had the fight went to the cards right there, he would have lost unanimously. I'm no lenox fan or no klitchcko fan though... I just like boxing.

8. Jdll13

Jdll13 Big Dog

Agree 100% and Rooney

9. Re: BOXING yesterday & today

Don't forget about Teddy Atlas and Bill Clayton.

10. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Lewis was starting to catch Klit more and more as the fight went on.Lewis was suppose to fight the winner of Holyfield vs. Bowe which Bowe won ,and this was after Lewis knocked Razor Ruddock out cold in 2 rounds .But Bowe refused to fight Lewis.Its not Lewis's fought that these guys where either over the hill or wouldn't fight him.Lewis beat most of the guys put before him and thats all you can ask of a fighter.

11. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

The Duvas tried to make the fight with Holyfield vs.Tyson .Thats why they moved up to heavyweight to fight Tyson then Tyson went and raped that girl and went away.Lewis was young when he fought Ruddock he was just coming up and Tyson was in jail at the time.Now Tyson did beat some good fighters also like Tony Tucker but all fighters have fought guys that wasn't up to the challenge.

12. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Frazier,Forman,Ali,Young,Ron Lyle was another beast that could really hit check out his war with Forman,Shavers really could bang but he didn't train for endurance that well.Jimmy Young was a very good boxer and could have outboxed a lot of todays fighters.Kenny Norton was another very good fighter and he got wrecked by Shavers and Forman

13. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Tyson was closer to Cus and Jimmy Jacobs.Teddy is a very good trainer.

14. Re: BOXING yesterday & today

Forgot about Jimmy. Nice analysis about the older heavyweight division. ALways thought Norton was a bum. I mean if he allowed Cooney to put him on queer street, then he was a bum.

15. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Norton wasn't a bum but when he fought heavy hitters he got crushed Shavers,Foreman,Cooney. But Cooney caught Norton at the end of his prime.I have to tell u guys I do miss the older fighters. The thing about Tyson was at that time fighters where fat and Tyson showed if you come into the ring fat and out of shape you will get hurt bad and carrier out on a stretcher.A friend of mine with the dogs with Yankee Boys was trained by Floys Patterson who was trained by Cus .We met Tyson before the Tyrell Biggs fight where Tyson wrecked him in 7 ,just took him apart.

16. Re: BOXING yesterday & today

He was super human at that time. It is hard to explain to the younger generation just what a time that was. Not to mention all the comparisons to The Rock...

17. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Yeah I never understood when my Dad would say those where the times when he talked about stuff when he was younger .Till now,now I get it.Lake it is always a pleasure to read your post on the dogs and other topics.

18. Re: BOXING yesterday & today

And yours as well.

As far as Tyson, when they fought the rock, he hit them in the arms and a few rounds later, they couldn't lift there arms. Also, after the fought Rocky, they were never the same again. The same as with Iron Mike.

19. redrumdog

redrumdog Top Dog

Yeah Rocky beat Roland Lastarza by beating his arms up then Roland couldn't protect his self then Rocky put him away.Tyson would come in and hit a guy with that hook to the body and then fire the right upper cut to the solar plexus.It would take their air right away.Spinks looked like he was scarred to death before the fight,and once the fight started he moved so stiff because he was already scared before he even got hit.I was surprised he made it out of his corner with out fainting.Tyson could ruin a fighter real quick.I remember Biggs pissing Tyson off by degrading him before the fight.Tyson punish Biggs in the ring,just beat him down.

20. Re: BOXING yesterday & today

What about ole Trevor Berbick. Felt bad for that guy...