1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Bowel questions/help

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by lambchop11078, Oct 21, 2004.

1. I had my stafford for 5 days and I noticed some drastic change in his bowels. Please bear with me, this is the first pup I had in 10 years and I'm pretty rusty with puppy characteristics. Here are my questions.

I noticed the past 2 days that my puppy has been pooping 4 times a day. is this normal? There was a slight change in his food. I spoked to my breeder and was told he was fed twice a day with a mixture of Eagle Pack canned & kibble and cottage cheese. I was originally using too much canned food and now lowered that amount but increased his kibble, my breeder recommended that I do that. Ever since I noticed this change in bowels. Any ideas or suggestions?

After I feed my pup, I wait about 15 minutes before letting him out. It's pretty chilly in New England and he doesn't like to stay out too long even with a sweater and jacket. I noticed he'll urinate in the grass but once I let him in, 30 minutes later he'll urinate on my floors. Another 30 minutes later, he'll urinate again. It's pretty tough coming in to work an hour late everyday so does any have ideas and suggestions what I can/should do?

Here's a picture of my lil boy.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2004
  2. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

How old is the pup? Yes, its quite normal for a pup to have to go 4 or more times a day Their organs aren't fully grown nor muscles fully developed to hold for longer than a few hours. it takes time!!
    Best thing to do is get the pup on a schedule. CRATE TRAIN too if your pup is inside If you have to leave the pup alone for 8 hours, I would suggest having a pet sitting service or trusted family member let the pup out once or twice You simply cannot expect a pup to hold it for that long
    As to the housebreaking ... you'll have to get creative. I find that by walking the pup around the yard first thing helps get things going. Also..try having a play session right after the pup goes. this acts as an incentive to go outside.
    And i would try and wean the pup off of canned food all together, too.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2004
  3. He's about 10 1/2 weeks old now. I've been crate training him and he's actually doing pretty good. I work about 15 minutes away from home so I'm home for lunch to let him out. So he'll be in the crate for 4 hours max. He seems to be able to hold it for about 4 - 4.5 hours when he sleeps at night. I spoke to a friend who owns an AmStaff and he believes I might be feeding a bit too much.

Also my pup is very nippy. He grew up with his littermates and other puppies. I've tried the "no, give a chew toy and praise", "growl and bite", "finger on the back of the tongue", "yell ouch and leave" techniques but he still nips pretty hard. I can deal with the nipping but the gf is getting pissed because it hurts her. Any ideas or suggestions?

4. tell her to quit being a baby

j/k

5. It is because you aren't feeding him wholesome food.That crappy food that has like grains,corn, and that kind of stuff will make your dog crap that many times.IF you feed it something like IAMS,Eukanuba,Diamond or something high quality then you will see drastic changed in his bowel problems.I feed mine IAMS and he only has a bowel movement once or twice a day.Just a suggestion.

6. SSandecki

SSandecki Pup

Actually, there is an easy method, I used this to stop my dog from nipping\licking my face. Every time your dog licks\nips you act like it hurts, don't be mean, act in pain, your dog will not like this, make a loud yippe like he\she would, your dog will so learn that this doesn't please its master.