1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Books, some old, one new.

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Rasp, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Rasp

Rasp Pup

Hey there. Noticing a few old books from the early part of last century are being reprinted and quite easy to get hold of. Has anybody read any of these books and if you have did you enjoy them, were they informative, or interesting?

The Dog Pit, by R.K.Fox.
    White Monarch and the Gas House Pup, by R.G Kirk.
    The American Pit Bull Terrier, Joseph L Colby.

Another I'm looking at: The Pit Bull Placebo, The Media, Myths and Politics of Canine Aggression - by Karen Delise. Has anyone read it?

As usual, thanks in advance.

2. OnionHead

OnionHead Big Dog

What site you find them at. Like to order

3. I have a book here called "Memories of the Pitbull Terrier and his Masters" by L.B. Hanna, first published in 1926, ordered from amazon, very good read, lots of old time stories. Definately recommend.

4. JBlazeRx7

JBlazeRx7 Top Dog

Well haven't heard of those but i have some, and I still enjoy reading and just lookin through them all the time!

The World of the American Pit Bull Terriers By Richard F. Stratton
    The Truth About The American Pit Bull Terrier By Richard F. Stratton

I've had them for years and try to get my hand on the last one that I believe came out in the end ot the 90's can't remember who wrote it tho but if I see it or heard the name I'll remember!

5. Thats a good book, I remember reading that as a young lad.

6. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

I've heard good things about the Pit Bull Placebo, but I haven't had the chance to read it yet. I liked Karen Delise's other book, Fatal Dog Attacks. (Although she does emphasize that tethering is arguably the most dangerous situation in which to keep a dog.)

7. Raymond

Raymond Pup

I bought the reprint of an Old Book written by one of Colby's sons. It was a good read and great to see some photos of the dogs of that time period. I highly recommend getting this particular book. I sold my copy on ebay though.

8. jr102770

jr102770 Pup

Picked up "This is the american pitbull terrier " by richard f stratton, First book i have read very good, alot of nice info defenitely recommend it.

9. QWERT

QWERT Pup

you can find alot of "old" books that have been reprinted on E bay, but if that fails you, you can always order them from Ed Reid in the UK - I ordered the George Armitage Reprint, Jack Meeks Reprint etc etc..They are Top Quality Re Prints. Any books you want ALWAYS check Amazon and E bay, they will always surprise you!

As for the questions were they informative etc : yeah for what they are, written back then what more can you expect, They give you the facts as they see them.
    Alot has changed as far as shaping and nutrition, but thats not the reason for buying such a book, its merely to have a glimpse at the scene way back when.

10. New2Game

New2Game Pup

what are some good newer books to look into?