1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Blue vs Taste Of The Wild

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by TommyC, Jan 6, 2012.

1. TommyC

TommyC Pup

I currently have my dog on Blue/ fish and sweet potato. The dog loves it.
    They were giving away samples of Taste of The Wild. TOTW rates a star higher at
    http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/. The dog seemed to gobble this stuff right down as well.

Does anyone here use this food? Its not much more money then Blue so thats not an issue.
    Does anyone here think it will make any difference? Just wondering if I should make the switch.
    Some background: My dog is a spayed 4 y/o 50lb bitch, not fat at all and I would like to keep it that way. She gets at least a mile walk a day and 20-30 mins of spring and or flirt pole and the in between running around the yard a couple of times a day.
    She gets 2 1/2 cups a day of the kibble

2. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

I feed TOTW Pacific Stream, and IMO for the price its one of the better kibbles. I have a sucky blue dog and they are prone to skin issues, and he hasnt had a single problem on the TOTW PS.

It might make a difference, but the way I look at it is, if your dog is doing fine on the kibble your giving it why switch? Is the Blue grain free? If not than I can see not keeping him on that but thats the only reason.

You might also feed less on the TOTW, less filler typed stuff and grain = less feeding. I am doing 50/50 kibble/raw and my 30lb bag last over a month with my 60lb dog. If he is on straight kibble and working out hard every day he would only get 3 cups MAX. Usually less.

Its up to you though. JMO

3. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

5 dogs here on TOTW high prairie, being using it for about 5 months- very happy here, would recommend

4. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

With Blue Buffalo go with the Wilderness or it's really no comparison. TOTW great kibble. BB Wilderness is on par but even more expensive.

5. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

So the kind he is on isnt grain free? That would be reason for me to switch, grain free makes a real difference in a dog.

6. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

I bounce back and fourth from totw and raw. I tried many other top brand kibbles, I always end up back to totw. Its a excellent kibble to feed. I hate the price but if you only have one or 2 dogs the cost is not too bad but if you got more then it gets pretty pricey. I spend more a month on dog food than I pay for my food its ridiculous.

7. fonzie

fonzie Top Dog

I tried taste of the wild and it works great but never tried blue

8. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Even the basic blue is all holistic, but i still prefer totw just because im a big fan of diamond.

Considering totw and BB are both grain free and one being holistic id say u couldnt go wrong with either, id go for the one with the better price tag!

9. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

The only thing i like better than TOTW is raw...

10. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Compared to corperate chain store brands its fairly cheap. Petco sell 35LB bags of natural balance for damn near $60, as where our local feed store carries 35LB bags of totw for $35

11. TommyC

TommyC Pup

Thanks guys, The girl at the store told me only blue wilderness is completly grain free
    so think Im going to switch to TOTW and see how it works out. I just bought a new bag of blue so its not going to happen til next month. Thanks for the imput

12. AGK

That lady lied to you. There are several grain free kibbles on the market
    TOTW
    Orijen
    Dog lovers gold
    Tractor trailer supply stores have their own brand of holistic food
    Along with many other brands that are 100 % grain free.

13. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

I think he meant out of everything Blue Buffalo offers...

14. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Thats still not true though like i said the basic blu is all holistic

15. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

Holistic does not equal grain free. This is off their homepage.

The wilderness variety however is grain free...

16. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Hmm.............i gotta stop by the feed store today anyway. Ill give the ingredients a gander! I never was really a fan of blue so i didnt rrally take the time to study the ingredients. But according to the nutrition certification shit at work holistic means all natural ingredients & grain free. And on the front of all the blue buffalo bags it says holistic nutrition.

17. TommyC

TommyC Pup

"I think he meant out of everything Blue Buffalo offers..".

Yes, That is what I meant

18. eeblack

eeblack Pup

I had my boy, American Bulldog, on Blue Buffalo for a month and he would not stop having stomach problems, then I switched to TOTW Pacific Stream and NO PROBLEMS!! and a little cheaper which surprises me since it has four more protein products more than BB. My boy, Maliki, LOVES the taste of TOTW even more than BB as well. Try it, you may like it. Also I have had Maliki on Bully Max Vitamins for three months now and that is also a great product (little pricey thought) We all want the best for our dogs you know? Also look at all the recalls they have had on BB. I still have a HUGE bag of it that im not even gonna feed him due to this recall problem as well as his upset stomach. hope this helps, Maliki & I

19. Old thread is old..

^^ but you might be confused. BB hasn't had nearly as many recalls as TOTW has had. Based solely on that, in the past 2 years, TOTW has had at least 1 major recall, while BB has had none. It's also rumored that Diamond (mfg's TOTW) is still having ongoing issues with one of their plants.

Feed what you want and what works for your dog but don't talk about recalls where there aren't any.

20. AGK

Im on my 4th generation of dogs all raised from the womb on TOTW. Never had a problem except deciding which flavor to buy this week....