1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Blue Paul Terrier

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by JBL, Jun 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mccoypitbulls

mccoypitbulls Underdog

old family dogs from the old world period quite simply put.

2. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

Yes they are terriers by instinct and behavior their just not earth dogs or pure, dont claim to be, and werent designed to be.

If you read their name they are a TYPE of terrier.If your momma and poppa are 4ft midgets from a long line of 4ft performing midgets,and you pop out over 7ft tall unable to be a performing midget, are you not from them with the same genetics and instincts as your ancestry? and do you measure your relatedness to either by spanning your chest and theirs?

3. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

Performance traits are polygenic,not mendelian,so a cross of game x cur doesnt produce all cur or all game or all watered down game and cur blended.

The prints are the product of Alken, read what he states in his own words on the dogs and the words of his contemporaries at the time to know truth.

The prints are from the 1820s, read the history of baiting with dogs and their type, by those who did it,observed it,and studied it at the time, before during and after.

Your comparing a show dog to a performance dog from completely different eras, compare Alken's prints to Rosa and crib which predates Alken,it shows both a real Bulldog(rosa) and her out crossed Bull terrier son(crib), once you know the history of baiting, it should be obvious why they were crossing Bulldogs to Pit Terriers to produce Pit Bull and Terriers for baiting in the early 1800s.

Prove the pug blood theory.

Their are many other pictorial and written records to make a comparison during Alkens time, before Alkens time and after Alkens time,to know the truth.

4. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

These dogs are from the ISLES.

Prove these other dogs involved in the breeding, and their role s dominant performers and producers.

You claim to know for a fact that mainland EU had molloser type dogs and bulldogs before BRITS, put your money where your mouth is and prove it, it should be easy.

The Stafford wasnt and still isnt a black nose only dog, they produce red nosed dogs, where do you imagine the term "Dudley" comes from?

The stafford wasnt a cow patch dog,it was a solid colour dog, BRINDLE AND RED.

blue pauls were not mainly blue brindle and white with blue noses, ever heard of "red smuts"?

The old family reds redonose ancestry is an American old family fantasy.

Irish dogs came in the colouration of the English counterparts who created them.

Spanish fighting dogs come from British blood.

Black and tan fighting dogs didnt come from Germany.

The french mastiff is the product of British blood.

The black and brindle doesnt come from Italy, and Italian mastiffs descend from British blood.

With so many Americans made up of Spanish and a Italian blood it should be easy for you to show their dogs, their influence in performance and production, their history, and their rules and methods of dog matching.Theirs far more descendants of Germans which are American,who speak English, not German, Spanish, Italian, or Dutch.

Colby wasnt trying to claim the same ancestry of the White English Bull terrier,you dont know the history of the bull terrier so you assume.

5. realistic

realistic Pup

Crossing to the terrier is the show version of history written by idiots.Ever heard the expression if you throw enough shit some sticks well that can be said.
    And anyone with a brain can figure out the english bulldog of today is a pug cross.And if any of you guys believe the apbt is a cross with a terrier than you are lost.
    Jbl You're asking about the bluepaul clueless as to it's history and then you make a statement saying you know it's crossed with terrier truth is you don't know your ass from your elbow no offence.

For anyone looking to understand the real history of the apbt you will have to do research and actually try and understand breeding to know how things work.
    And you won't learn by reading books written by show breeders who never had a clue in the first place.

The fact is the bulldog now known as the apbt was used to improve almost every breed of dog in existence but they would not be improved in their abilities by breeding other breeds to them.
    Like dusty road said no dogman today or then would breed a terrier to a bulldog to make the bulldog better this is complete nonsense.
    There is old art works from between 500-1000 years old that show dogs that look the exact same as the modern day apbt this proves that those dogs were around even then way before the supposed bull and terrier show theories in the 1800s.

The english bull terrier is a result of a bulldog and terrier cross the apbt is not and that's why the english bull terrier was never known as a pit dog because they were not bred for gameness because all the gameness had been lost more or less by breeding to the terrier.

6. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

i dont care !

7. JBL

JBL Big Dog

.... A bit of topic but why is it some people seem to think that gameness only comes from the bulldog or mollosser types? Why do some people feel ashamed that their dogs carry terrier in their make up? Does nobody else agree that the terrier added something special to the bulldog in the bull and terrier breeds?

8. JBL

JBL Big Dog

Tigerlines I believe you know your stuff.

Airedale Terriers carry a large percentage of otterhound. The black Russian terrier carries very little terrier blood. The Boston I maybe shouldn't have picked on...

9. JBL

JBL Big Dog

.... Also it has been reported that Airedales have beat APBT's and Bull terriers. They can be tough game dogs, just in my opinion aren't terrier in the true sense of the word. I am not trying to say they lack spirit.

10. JBL

JBL Big Dog

Game bred Jack Russel terriers and patterdales are in no way less game than bulldogs, and I believe the English white terrier was in the Jack Russells make up. So how would a cross between game bulldog and game terrier create a less game dog?

11. realistic

realistic Pup

I don't think you actually know what gameness is lol.Jack russells are not game and never have been and most patterdales have apbt in them.

12. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

I'm convinced that some of you read too much Jack Handy. If JBL thinks there's no reason for a Jack Russell or a Peckertail Terror to be less game than a bulldog, then he doesn't understand one thing about gameness, and through all of your deep thoughts, obviously mistake tenacity for gameness.

Gameness is the will to dominate. It's been bred into these dogs for a long, long time. It isn't prey drive nor is it alpha behavior. It is a competitive will, not a survival will such as what prey drive is. Many animals are tenacious, including humans. It's a totally different trait and act than the will to dominate.......gameness in combat.

This is why some animals are "prey" and others are "predators". The predators are far more able than the prey. Bulldogs compete by weight which means each dog's prowess, size, abilities and will have a chance to be commensurate with each others. There is no prey. There is no predator.

Wild animals and other breeds of domestic dogs have MORE prey drive, and LESS will to dominate on competitive levels. They are survival conscious and their tenacity is a matter of that prey and predator mode and mentality. When one confuses the two, or just professes ignorance of the difference, then they appear to show they have no experience with the actual matters a bulldog performs.

Now, not ALL of any breed has ALL of any trait just because they are the breed they are, so this is all based on YOUR written generalization of such things. Yet since your generalizations show ignorance of gameness, and show your total lack of experience with true gameness, we have to speak under such parasol.

You diverted to this subject. I didn't. But since you posted in such misleading error, I feel it necessary to correct your error for the sake of anyone honestly trying to learn about these dogs and their substance in today's world.

13. JBL

JBL Big Dog

Gameness is a quality of fighting dogs or working terrier, selectively bred and conditioned from a very early age to develop traits of eagerness despite the threat of substantive injury. Dogs displaying this trait can also be described as persevering, ready and willing, full of fight, spirited or plucky.

As for patterdales, Cyril Breay swore there was no bull terrier blood in his dogs.

14. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

Well, you are just absolutely wrong about what gameness IS. Very early age? Gameness manifests in late maturation and in full maturity. You don't see it at a very early age or you're in the business of ruining young dogs. That's a fact, JBL. You show you know absolutely nothing about gameness in its reality. Develop it? No sir. You let a dog mature, then school and see if they possess it. One doesn't develop it at some very young age. One sets proper stages of schooling and experiences, progressing into the time a dog is fully able to be checked for such.

I'm afraid you've quoted too many who also have no fathom of what gameness really is, and furthermore, bought into the nonsense they profess.

15. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Very good post TDK. I'm very thankful that you're willing to share your thoughts and experiences with us. I always feel like I take something away from EVERY one of your posts. Thank you.

16. JBL

JBL Big Dog

Pit gameness and gameness I guess may be interpreted in different ways. Terrier men do use the term game to describe their dogs.

17. JBL

JBL Big Dog

I may be wrong about the history of bull and terrier breeds, I really don't know, which is why I find the history interesting and want to learn more. I have my opinions. Others have theirs. Its based a lot on who reads what and what one chooses to believe.

For this site I may be using game in the wrong context, so let me rephrase:

There should be no embarrassment that a dog contains terrier blood. Terriers are tenacious, plucky dogs, similar to the spirit of the bulldog of old. Modern day terriers are often bred for their original purpose, where as many modern bulldog are not, with the exception of the pit bull terrier which I believe carries a percentage of terrier in its make up.

18. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Jbl some may confuse tenacious with gameness is prob the case here..I think a terrier is and should be a gritty , tenacious little dog..But their is a difference because u just won't see one tote a ass whippin for a couple hrs and keep coming back.

19. JBL

JBL Big Dog

Kerry blue terriers and Bedlington terriers have both at one point in time been used for dog on dog fights. I admit the term game on this site refers to game bred fighting dogs, much like you would get a game cock. You wouldn't here of a terrier being game bred I admit but in hunting circles rightly or wrongly you would hear men say their dogs possess gameness. Apologies for the misuses of the term on this thread.

20. JBL

JBL Big Dog

I see I did write game bred, where I should have put working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.