1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

blue eye issues

Discussion in 'Dog Shows & Events' started by BoiBoi, Jan 25, 2008.

1. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

I'm currently looking at a breeding that will possibly produce pups with blue eyes because the bitch has blue eyes, the male has dark eyes. In terms of ADBA and AADR how important is the eye color and how many points would i loose if my dog had blue eyes.

2. crawfish407

crawfish407 Banned

I have had blue eyed APBT's for 20 years or more. I love them. It usually comes with red or liver noses and a lot of white in the coat. Mine are merles. I have found the females with the trait will throw pups with it no matter what they are bred to. Watch out for pups with too much white coloration or a solid pink nose. They tend towards deafness and eye problems. I don't know about show rules and blue eyes, but the ADBA is frowning on merles due to health issues associated with the gene.

3. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

thanks crawfish, i already know that the adba has deemed blue eyes as a major fault, my question is does this mean the dog won't place because of the eyes even if everything else is perfect? Comeon show people help me out

4. Miss Conduct

Miss Conduct CH Dog

Blue eyes are a fault, and you would not place

5. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

Hey bud, I can always check for you.

6. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

well hopefully one of the females has the dads eye's so i can get one in a few weeks. Let me know what u come up with LO
    Thanks MC

7. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

Ok, this is what Adam told me:

No, that is not true. Blue eyes is not a fault and will not effect how a dog places at a dog show.

The only time this is a fault is if the dog is an albino dog. This is an all-white dog with no pigment in its flesh or eyes so it is all pink with white fur. If the dog is an albino it would be disqualified from the show because this is a genetic fault.

jadedpitgirl likes this.
  8. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

oh man thanks a million, i think u just helped me seal my decision. I'll holla at ya and let u know how it goes

9. 215pitts

215pitts Top Dog

No problem buddy, just pm me what line your actually getting :D!

10. coolhandjean

coolhandjean CH Dog

This is kind of funny. I was just wondering yesterday if a fullbred APBT could have blue eyes. lol.

11. MinorThreat

MinorThreat CH Dog

I've had a btch with one blue eye and one with both blue, they both did well in ADBA/AADR wether its a said conf fault or not if you get a judge thats about bulldogs they most likely wont think twice about a blue eye.

I will say this was in the days when those that brought obvious show dogs were having a tuff time beating those that brought dogs that had time in

I showed them both a few times and they placed 1st or 2nd each time

12. jadedpitgirl

jadedpitgirl Top Dog

215, you are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!! I have also had two chocolate dogs who had one blue eye each. They were mother and son and they had both placed in ADBA conformation. Before I bought Maggie, I personally called the ADBA and asked where they stood on the blue eye thing. Again, this was before the outlawing of merles, but I double checked after that incident, to make sure I could still show her son.

Like crawfish said, it seems to appear more on chocolate/red dogs with lots of white. Maggie was a dark chocolate with completely white head, white chest and socks. Tukker (her son) was a reddish-chocolate with a white blaze. Neither were deaf....

13. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

yea the pup would be almost all red with a white head, thats the way the mother is and she has both blue eyes

14. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

Sounds like a Boyles dog.... Is it? :p

15. CooljoeGoodie

CooljoeGoodie Big Dog

I was thinking the same thing,and I thought the myth was if they had one blue eye.

16. Suki

Suki Guest

17. BoiBoi

BoiBoi CH Dog

banjo/coachise.........tight

thanks suki, i wasn't plannin on ukc, i don't think this dog would do good in it anyway because i doubt she'll max over 35lbs

18. chinasmom

chinasmom CH Dog

Wow. Little Dog. Can't wait to see her.

19. brolick

brolick Big Dog

i know a breeder in my area that all his puppies have blue eyes now, the coats are mostly black, blue and red, haven't seen any with alot of white from him

20. LadyRampage

LadyRampage Top Dog

Blue eye(s) are fairly common in linebred colby dogs as well. We tend to get alot of white headed colby's and our main stud's grandmother had 2 blue eyes. We have no reds or rednose colbys, lots of tans, brindles, and fawns though.

as for ADBA I know of a beautiful CH 1/2 colby 1/2 heinzl female right now and she has 1 blue eye.