1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

bloodlines with mouth

Discussion in 'Breeder Discussion' started by upthewayboys, Feb 2, 2013.

1. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

Been that way forever. The destroyers always get talked about. People chase these dead dogs by inbreeding paper. Ol' spot that made all his scratches, accounted for his owners inadequacies and ignorance, and kept on coming gets over looked in the grand scheme of things. That solid bitch that does everything she is asked and produces good dogs does not warrant much internet attention. Just the way it goes. I will take my chances with a game and talented dog that is willing to work.

2. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

People are enamored with "the freak". If one could or would only realize that a freak is a freak because he is NOT like the rest, and is the exception to the norm of what they have, they wouldn't overlook the main ingredients which are most valuable, that their immediate group of dogs gives them on the norm.
    The exception indeed does prove the rule. And it does so simply by BEING THE EXCEPTION.
    Most are enamored because they haven't witnessed nor have they experienced what a good norm is. They don't know that the exception to a good norm is better than the exception to a low norm, in most cases
    Nor do they realize that any said norm is the key to their future, and not the exception.
    I hesitate to even touch on the fact that so many really don't know what a hard mouthed dog is anyway. They wouldn't know how to make such a call.
    And what is a hard mouthed dog? Is it one that starts out and gives it hell for twenty minutes? Or..........is it the one most effective, and using his mouth the most effectively late, and in the end?
    I realize there are those who care about nothing but now, and care about little but to gamble and have cheap thrills.
    Mayfield said ONE thing I like and adhere to. Pre cult, of course, or I wouldn't take it to heart as I do. That was: To know where you're going. It pays to know where you've been.
    When BB said one needs to know where what they have is coming from, he is on the dime. I don't mean ancient dogs. I mean in your own yard and dogs directly around and behind yours.
    A freak has little to do with this method. A freak has little to do with what prevails in your ongoing lineage(s).
    The world will always love the sensational. Yet, I believe it isn't worth seeking for the sake of any future consistencies of same.
    You can read a breeding left to right, right to left, up and down, or upside down. When you have one full of what is commonly purported to be game dogs, and try for mouth, you're on a grease pole.
    And if you should get the exception......the freak.....well, I'll just refer to what I said above.

3. DaTeacher

DaTeacher Pup

What do you call mouth???? Only you know what you expect to see that will satisfied with your choice of dogs. I will admit some lines carry more mouth then the other but then what strains in that line then what dogs. It get deep when you talk on breeding or even just looking for certain traits. Alot is self thought and a bigger part is seeing to know what you like and looking for. Then find someone that you can trust to send you in the right way to get a complete dog.

4. slim12

I like the freak as much as the next guy. I would love to have a yard full of them. I understand that they are few and far between and their is no recipe to get them. I have seen a three or four over the years that were just plain freaks. A couple I would breed to because their families were chocked full of solid, hardworking game dogs. Another that I distinctly remember I would not give a squirt of piss for because the topside was slam full of hard mouthed curs. And this particular dog I always have believed if someone had something that could to the forty minute mark he would fold up. But in five attempts nothing could last that long. If I were to just look for his mouth and breed to him I truly believe I would be on a slippery slope, or that greasy pole as it was said before.

5. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

buy the " freak" from someone & breed a good average within your own stock.

6. rroscoe

rroscoe Lightner Hemphill / Colby

I agree with this , as It take alot of years and alot dogs to get where you can pull off multi ..and I feel a lot of luck also.. it's like trying to find a diamond you have to sort out alot of rocks

7. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

if the freak comes from good honest lineage like slim said before then yes but I agree that i'd be content breeding to a good dog who lacked nothing and trying to reproduce that in high percentages. When a good dog runs into a better dog its nice to have a dog who not only is going to keep coming and able to take it without breaking downn. If you have that your always a threat to win.

8. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

Is it just me....????i thought all dogs had mouth??
    It's just been some that knew how to use it better.

9. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

sure they have mouth. but a hard mouth is something totally different. theoretically speaking a hard mouth don't mater what spot how long the event. it's constantly doing damage from all angles.it's a systematic breakdown of anything in the area.

10. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

I know I was fucking with dude....
    But me personally the best mouth I seen came from a heavy honeybunch/bullyson dog.. I'm mean what ever that shit landed on was shattered.

11. TDK

TDK CH Dog Staff Member

A quote from an old timer, long ago: "TDK, I love mouth. We all love mouth. But on the other hand, I don't want to be the one shittin' his pants at the hour mark."
    Which, to me, meant mouth has to be effective. A dog can have great mouth yet it be negated, and his ability to "get there with it" struck down, dampered, negated enough by certain talents and abilities, and even equal or near equal mouth on the part of the other dog. This is what I meant by "What is mouth, anyway?", Da Teacher. It comes with many winability factors that go along, Or............it can come with few to none. Since there are no guarantees as to the way competition may go, I'll just have to agree with that old timer. LOL

12. deadgam33

deadgam33 CH Dog

Lol...not a good situation to b in..

13. slim12

An older guy once told me he was never concerned with the amount of mouth he was more concerned with the targeted area. Two dogs exactly equal in the mouth area with one being in the face and the other being on the leg. That amount of mouth is far more effective on the face. A dog in the chest has to have a lot more mouth than a dog in the rear end. So the one with average, and maybe below average mouth that stays in the face between the eyes and the top of the muzzle can deliver wins as fast as the freak dog trying to bite the body down. And then like everything with these dogs mouth is relative, it depends on the who is grading.

14. hammer head

hammer head Top Dog

Big John smashed the side of his opponent so bad that it quit......... Nothing scratched back to him in all his shows.

15. fat man

fat man Pup

never seen in today age of dogs i never seen a redboy dog with mouth jmo.

16. slim12

you should get out a lil' more. lol. US1

17. Caos

Caos CH Dog

you could find lots of dogman with big mouth it's easy to find them.lol now in my opinion you will find hard mouth in every lines that still around that story about only chinaman and eli or hammond dogs produce hard mouth dogs are just bullshit

18. I agree 1,000%....

19. ...right on the money.

20. Huh!!! He asked you a specific question which means you obviously have no clue so why open your mouth?? I don't know it all and if I don't know I keep my mouth shut... Bunch'a know nothing fools. Ch. Gator?? Little gator?? Alligator??