1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Blood in stool.

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by 40lbRed, Feb 18, 2009.

1. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

Yesterday when I had my dog out exercising she emtied herself and I saw a faint line of blood in the stool. The few times since I have seen the same thing. I know this will get the "go to the vet" response, but I want to see if it could be something simple first. She is on a worm preventative so I doubt it's worms. My major concern is that it's eating bones. I do my best but she always seems to find bones on our walks and will try to chew and swallow them before I can get them away from her. Could she have cut her intestine, can this heal on it's own?

2. Yes, it can be something very minor and likely will heal on its own. Just keep an eye out (here it comes) and take her to the vet! lol just kidding......Start getting worried if you see the stool coming out dark red...:cool:

3. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

I'm watching very closely, I'm just trying to prevent her from getting more bones, so that I can say for sure that she hasn't had had them in so many days.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
  4. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

sometimes this will lead you to find the anal glands infected/impacted, thus warranting an expression...be forewarned- there are few smells on this earth worse than an anal gland expressing session

5. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

is the stool loose? there are alot more reasons other than worms and eating bones that could cause blood in stool. i don't get too bent outta shape unless it's chocolate milk or doesn't clear up.

6. AceBoogie

AceBoogie Pup

do you exercise the dog if so how intence is the workout cause you can mess up the kidnies

7. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

The stool isn't loose at all. Her energy seems pretty good and she hasn't been moody. All her exercise is off a machine in the outdoor world, can this damage kidneys?

8. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

kidney damage will be blood in the urine, not stool

9. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

Yeah, that would make more sense. I was confused there.

10. performanceknls

performanceknls Top Dog

Just watch her, not eating would be a bad thing and a trip to the vet would come next. It could be something like coccidia or giardia. Then only Albon and/or Metronidazole will clear it up. If it keeps up most vets will let you just take in a stool sample without an exam.

Bleeding in the intestine would more likely come out dark red and lose.
    I wouldn't get excited just watch for a few days.
    I work my dogs very hard and have never had a health issue with kidneys if my dog was in good health and properly cared for.

11. 40lbRed

40lbRed Big Dog

I plan to keep a close eye on things.