1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

bloat

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by mikelia, Feb 14, 2006.

1. mikelia

mikelia Big Dog

I was just doing some research on bloat and read that a couple of studies showed APBTs being at very high risk for gastric torsion. I am asking if anybody has found this to be true. I know it is common with big, deep chested dogs. Weimeraners, GSDs, st. bernards and such. I know a lot about bloat itself and how to deal with it. My GSD bitch bloated quite a few times over the years and is what ended up killing her when she finally torsioned at 11 1/2 years old. But I am looking for opinions of if you guys have found APBTs to bloat often?

2. My Self I Have Never Had A Dog That Bloats But I Have Heard And Read It Is Very Common In Bulldogs Because Of The Way Alot Of Them Inhale Their Food And Water Then They Wanna Go Run And Play And Then Thats When They Bloat.thats Just What I Have Heard But Like I Said I Have Never Had A Dog Bloat On Me Thank God.

3. Just take simple precautions. I feed mine in raised dishes and always feed twice a day rather then once a day. They have to lay in there crates for at least one hour after eating. Also if they are inhaling the food put some ice cubes in it so they have to pick around them it slows them down a lot.

4. sajoseph

sajoseph Pup

Funny you say that ameribulldog203, because this past July when I was visiting family in NY my cousins Rotty had developed bloat. I helped him take the dog to the vet, and the vet had to put him down, it was too late, and told us that raised dishes contribute to the dog getting bloat!

I too used a raised dish, and when I returned home to Fla, called and asked my personal vet, and he also stated the same thing.

I have heard both, use them and do not. Im gonna research once and for all to find out the truth. Bet I find conflicting stories on the net as well!!!But for now, after seeing what I saw, it is very painful, and I feed my dogs on the floor(of course in bowls!!)

5. mikelia

mikelia Big Dog

Yeah, there is quite the controversy between raised bowls or not. I will not use raised bowls for my dogs, I think it would be easier for air to go down with the food if their head is elevated. I feed my dog from a bowl on the floor, she doesn't care :P