1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

bladder infection?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by GAowner, Jun 23, 2007.

1. GAowner

GAowner Pup

We have a 5 month old puppy, just got her 2 weeks ago. Shes mostly lab, no pit, but most of you seem to know your stuff so I figured I would ask here. BTW, we just found out the other day she needs ALL her puppy shots, none were given so thats on the to do list. We were originally told she got all her shots. friggin BYB

We are trying to house train but today its been REALLY bad. she squats like she is going to pee and just a tad comes out. Toaday she peed 3 times inside the house (just a few drops) in like an hour. every time we took her out,walked her, then brought her back in. Finally I gave up and put her on my boys chain outside.

Does this repeated urinating, and signs of attempting to urinate indicate a bladder infection? even when we take her out, she squats but nothing comes out, Anything we can do besides a trip to the vet?

2. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

She needs to see avet.It coukd be a bladder infection,or any number of other things.If it is a bladder infection or ant infection of the urinary system she will need antibiotics,which you need to go to a vet for.Also its always a good idea to get any new pet a complete work up anyway.Take her in while the problem may still be easy enough to treat,the longer you wait the worse it gets and you will just end up shelling out more $ in the end.you wont believe how many people wait untill it's too late due to thr fact that they thought treatment would be too exspensive.We are treting a dog right now who has demodectic mange which most of the time is pretty simple to clear up.Unfortunately the dog now has almost no hair and will likley never be cured because his owner thought the treatment woul cost too much and hoped the problem would clear up on it's own.All it would have taken was atwenty dollar bottle of medicine to clear it up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2007
  3. GAowner

GAowner Pup

looks like shes now urinating blood. Great. Guess Monday morning we will go to the vet. DO we need to go tomorrow?

4. Suki

Suki Guest

a serious invasion of bacteria can cause bleeding, amongst other things, but to be certain, for sure, bring that dog in. In the mean time, call your vet and heed any advice they give you.
    good luck and keep us posted

5. GAowner

GAowner Pup

we called the vet and the emergency # listed on their machine. no answer. Our cat is on some anti-biotics, clabomax? My wife looked it up and it says for felines but is good for bladder infections. so we gave her one last night.

6. simms

simms CH Dog

Clavomox is perfect! make sure she has a little food on her belly when you give it.

7. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

I agree with simms Clavamox is good but what mg are the pills for the cat? Because as you know all meds are by weight. ANd the dog will need more that the cat needed.

To treat a susceptable infection The Plumb's Formulary says 13.75mg/kg BID (twice a day)

Good luck but ya'll still should take her to the Vet. The reason behind it is because some UTI and bladder infections are so severe that they sometimes need stronger antibiotics.

8. GAowner

GAowner Pup

Simms I dont mind taking from the cat, i hate the cat anyway :) J/K we will tell the vet we used them for the dog and get some more.

OK help me out, the pills are 62.5 mg and the dog weighs about 20 pounds. 2 pills? We have 20 pills left, plenty for the next day till we get to the vet.

thanks guys

9. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

To get the kg you divide the weight in pounds by 2.2
    then you multiply the kg by the mg

so 20/2.2=9.09kg
    9.09kg x 13.75mg=124.9mg needed

So 2 pills would work

But remember if you start her on antibiotics before you get her to the vet when he does do a UA he may not get accurate results. If you plan on taking her to the Vet tomorrow I would hold off on the clavamox till he runs the tests her needs to do. JMO

10. GAowner

GAowner Pup

i get it. The way it was written 13.75/KG I thought it was 13.75 divided by KG and I was all confused. Well I started her on it. Guess I'll just tell the vet Cynthia in Atlanta told me so (we live in Dallas) :) and he'll have to do the best he can. I saw her take a pee a little while ago and it was a nice long one and I thought, good. Then 5 minutes later she went in the house a tinkle.

I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Thanlks for all the help

11. Michele

Michele Guest

JC is prone to UTIs. He was on anti-biotics but then I got him Urinary Maintenance made by Natures Sunshine. I sprinkle it on his food and he has not had a problem since.........their website is: naturessunshine.com

12. CynthiaATL

CynthiaATL Guest

I can see her face like who the hell is Cynthia LOL

Like I said the problem with starting antibioics before they do a UA is that you may not get accurate results.

I got the dosage from the Plumb's Forumulary. I was at work doing the weekend work. I hope it works out for you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2007
  13. GAowner

GAowner Pup

just got off the phone with the wife. Vet has no clue, couldnt find an infection, checked for tapeworms also. Said she may have a small infection around the bladder wall. She also got all her shots so shes up to date and my wife got some heartworm pills for my boy. He said the clavomax was fine and thats what he put her on. He didnt say one way or another if the prior clavomax interfered with the testing. We just were a tad off on the dose :), she weighs 32# not 20 so shes getting 225mg now. Id rather guess less than more and have her OD.

And the bill didnt kill me, was less that I thought considering everything that was done.

I'll keep everyone informed on Zena's progress.