1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Black and Tan

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by bamaman, Oct 7, 2015.

1. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

2. thx. for posting. i read an extensive thread on black and tan dogs a couple of months ago. i used to always see Maxwell's bulldogs with a business card in the sdj. dude used to give a knife with a pup u bought from him too. i always thought they were beautiful; but beauty is only skin deep for our breed as you know. nice article and already learned a bit about some i didn't know. thanks again

what made you post it though ? anything else you'd like to add about them. i know 1 of the articles i read in the thread was by wildside if i recall. pretty sure you're famiiar with it by now though.

3. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

No particular reason at all,just enjoyed the read and thought some other members may enjoy it.

4. OsageDogman2014

OsageDogman2014 Big Dog

I grew up in the same town as Charlie Maxwell. I went to school with his daughter. I saw some of his dogs a long, long time ago and for the most part they were honest, decent dogs. I have some of his bloodline mixed in with the dogs I've bred all these years. I only got to see one black and tan dog of his. She can be found behind some of the Hillside bred dogs of Earl Jr. fame. I think her name was Capri. Most of Maxwell's dogs were either brindle or black until he went to breeding the black and tans. He was a great guy and a really easy man to talk to and really loved the APBT.

5. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I used to not like the look of the black and tan dogs but I like them now a days.

6. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

Read a story from, like, 1880(?), of a black and tan bulldog that weighed 28 pounds whipping a bull x mastiff. That same dog would catch rabbits, pin a bull, hunted otters for fun, ate cats, had already won at least one match, but still took time to play with the kids. It was a nice story, and i've always loved the B&Ts.

7. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Good share and read Bamaman...
    Good read Osage, Ive heard Mr.Maxwells dogs to e solid, never knew how they were bred or that they had some black and tans...
    Can anyone share some peds of his dogs or other black and tan lines...
    Bluedoglover always adds some good history and I too can relate similarities in color and quality traits, the black and tan terriers are not only a predecessor to jack russels and patterdales but probably behind some of these bulldogs too...

8. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

Found it!

As said, this dog was nearly identical to a B&T terrier but he had the bull head and gameness.

9. NYSTATEOFMIND

NYSTATEOFMIND Big Dog

Great historical read. I never like the color combo though. Remind s me of Rotties. Have seen some with a Widows peak and "Smudging" on the neck. Not my taste.
    But that Demon dog looks good.

10. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I got a red male who sire is black and tan.So I do have a male that's capable of throwing this color once bred back into his family or any female that carries this gene.From what I understand both parents have to carry the gene.But no black and tans at this point on my yard.Maybe some to come one day.

11. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

His mother also carried the gene but she herself was red like my boy.So chances are pretty high I will have some one day.Not close to this step yet though.

12. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

Good read Buedog...

Black and tan bulldogs are cool and I remember a dog they called champion rottwieler from a pup, went on to win one but never a real champion, except maybe in his owners eyes... He sure looked alot like bulldog rottie cross of both breeds might share a black and tan mollaser gene???
    ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [254163] :: <B><FONT COLOR= BLUE>SMITH'S ROTTWEiLER 1XW

I also like tans and black that look like there off the german shepard up the street, both those rottie and shepard looking bulldogs are probably good betting dogs for the gamblers, lol...

Bamaman, once that black and tan gene is locked in for so many generations, dont they loose the ability to produce anything but black and tans??? Maybe alot of colors do that, the ofrns, ofbns and the boudreaux blacks etc... IDK. Iam sure it has something to do with alot of letters in a row I dont want to understand...
    I thought I read that or heard it and thats why rotties and jagd terriers only come in black and tan, but I might be wrong???

13. bluedoglover

bluedoglover Top Dog

black and tan comes from terrier blood. The black and tan in rotts is likely from mountain or shepherd dogs. Plus jags can come in lier from time to time, and rotties can also come in liver, smut, black, white (usually albino), an tricolor.

p.s. what is a OFBN if you don't mind me asking???

14. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Elias I call it family breeding on a good dog.And yes you will get some Black and Tans and Reds also..I have also saw the chocolate and tan color ,come from the same family and also white.But I think when you get a good dog and he is everything you want in a bulldog and you start sticking him to all your females ,sure more than likely you should get a lot the same color as him.But I will say no that even if it's locked in your family ,you will still get other colors.

15. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

If both parents carry the gene ,you could breed 2 reds together and get Black and Tans ,etc..etc..I do believe it's a throwback from some where in the past which just comes up sometimes.And yes unexpected ,but it happens.

16. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I will also say , sure you could lock the gene in and breed for one color but at that point I think your just breeding for color and missing out on other options from dogs of different color.But you look at some families like Eli that produce mostly black dogs ,Floyd had a yard full of them.I guess if you were more than happy enough with the ability and the production of one certain color and it was far above every other color that your family produces then why not at that point..just my 2 cents..

17. OsageDogman2014

OsageDogman2014 Big Dog

Just an example of one of his dogs....

ONLINE PEDIGREES :: [84369] :: MAXWELL'S CRICKET

18. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

that stripped mother fucker down from the cricket looks almost as nice as his son...
    Thanks looks like the old coplin blood that was highly spoken of, with a touch of mayfields ni##er to some other henry stuff...
    I thought there was also some old colby loposay blood that was behind maxwells ch max??? fimilar with that dog or any one share a ped???

that stripped mother fucker down from the cricket looks almost as nice as his son...

19. OsageDogman2014

OsageDogman2014 Big Dog

LOL.......thanks. He was almost eleven years old in that photo. He died when he was 13 years old due to kidney failure. His son took 1st place in his class (out of 23 dogs) at the ADBA Nationals. It was a tough class to even place in (3-5 year old). He would have made champion for sure if I'd taken him to more shows..........

20. ELIAS'PISTOLA

ELIAS'PISTOLA CH Dog

both very handsome bulldogs...