1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Bite work

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Bluepit50, May 9, 2005.

1. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

O.k. lets discuss opinions of doing bite work with pitbulls. Now we all know that pits love games that have to do with pulling and all kinds of bite work. They love it and will do it all day if they could. Now it's important to exercise the dogs and bite work is something the dogs really enjoy and lets them work their bite. Spring poles comes with some risks of injuries as well as a few other things. I personally have done some bite work with a bite sleeve as my dogs instantly loved the challenge and training I did with them this past weekkend. Not only is it safe because of the special material that they make into it but I was easily able to teach them to release on command, which is 1 of the most important things to train a pit to do. I also am able to advance their training with obedience, they must remain still when told, they can work the sleeve when commanded, they must release immediately when told, and all kinds of games and challenges can be created to keep your dogs focused and learning.

Now here's the question, some believe a bite sleeve and k-9 training should not be mixed with pits because of the bad image they have. I say that pits can excel in many areas on training and events including k-9 training, as i've personally seen many do great. I prefer to keep my training at a personal level and just for the sake of working the dogs in the yard. I don't think they should be used in real life k-9 training, just as a form of bite work, training, obedience, and a fun game that the dogs love. My dogs know that the bite sleeve is just like anything else I can hold, a rope, a tire, a towels, ect. to play tug of war or for bite work. The way I do it they are'nt simulating attacking me, they just want to grab the sleeve and challenge me to a game of pulling and working their mouth just like anything else. What I like is that they won't injure their teeth like most other things, atleast if you got a good sleeve thats made correctly.

I know some will oppose anything to do with k-9 training on pits, but what do you think about a bite sleeve being used only personally and as a form of bite work, obedience, and training. (Not as attack training!!!!!!!!!) Please don't confuse my post with attack training, there are so many forms of training and commands I was easily able to do with the dogs.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2005
  2. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

Why would you want to you a sleeve for bite work on a game bred dog? Sounds like you'd be asking for trouble in the long run. I understand what you are saying just doesn't seem logical to me.

3. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

When used correctly there are many benefits of training that can be given to dogs using a sleeve. I just want everyones opinion on the subject, as some want pits seperated from it simply because of the image factor.

4. Kay

Kay Big Dog

Well, since you asked for opinions....lol
    I don't think that ANY pit bull should be encouraged and "taught" and praised for attacking humans.
    JMO and 2 cents

5. NORTH

NORTH Top Dog

what if the dog mistaking something in or on your arm for the sleeve goes for the bite. I know ive had some very intense dogs that would hit anything resembling a toy or something they have played with before.

6. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

get a Presa

7. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

Please understand that there's a difference between training the dogs to attack an individual, (such as with the police dogs), and usind a bite sleeve purely as other forms of bite work, training, obedience, ect. When I train my dogs they are not going at me, only the sleeve, as they think its a game and they see the sleeve as a toy. Without getting into detail with all the forms of training, just know that i'm suggesting methods that have nothing to do with attack training. Some may not know these if they have'nt personally have had any experience around anyone training dogs with these. Just know that there are many benefits that can help you greatly with quickly advancing your dog through its obedience level and how greatly it works them mentally and physically when done correctly.

8. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

I believe that ANY dog doing bit work should be working under a PROFESSIONAL Schutzhund trainer. "Street training" is a half-ass way to go.

And if someone wants something that looks like a pit bull and smells like a pit bull to do bite work with, get a Presa Canario or in some cases, a Ca da Bou. These dogs are born with that natural guarding instinct. No sense taking our breed into a directions that our forefathers tried so very hard to steer it away from.

9. Kay

Kay Big Dog

Yep I know what you mean....But see BigGuy211's post. This is exactly what you want to avoid. Again, just my opinion :)

10. chainsoff

chainsoff Big Dog

What?? The dogs are catching YOU and biting YOU, even though there's a sleeve sepeating YOUR ARM and their mouth. The fact is, they are still attacking, and biting a HUMAN. You should not be instilling this in these dogs. Being a RESPONSIBLE apbt owner, you should NEVER encourage biting of humans.

11. TabDogs

TabDogs CH Dog

why the hell would you want to do bite work with an APBT??? Do you really think that looks good in the public(media) eye??? With all the bullshit going on now...Why would you want people to think you are training"vicious(sp) pitbulls"????Cause that is what they are going to think whether you like it or not. I am totally agianst APBT's doing bite work..PERIOD.We dont need a story aired on the 11 o'clock news saying"vicious pitbulls being trained to attack". If you want a dog that is good at bite work get a Shepherd, Mal, Presa, Rottie, or Dobie..NOT an APBT. I also VERY much agree with what Mia said about this form of training should be done under the supervision of a LICENSED Trainer..Not in your backyard to look cool and terrify your neighbors.

12. Zoe

Zoe CH Dog

I don't have a problem with training a pit for bite work IF {and that is a big IF} you really know what you are doing. I am definitely against it if you are using defense drive with pits. If you use prey drive which they already have a ton of and you do it properly I do believe they will see it like a game. In fact I have heard people who do this say they won't even react unless the sleeve was there so essentially even with bite work they make lame guard dogs lol. I am totally against using defense drive in pits for this. Definitely a good way to skrew up a good dog. I used to have a cool tape for protection training pits and they started out real young as puppies, big emphasis on positive obedience training, lots of cool games to build up prey drive, LOTS of socializing so they have a great perspective of a real world, and they didn't even get into sleeve work until well into adulthood. Once the out command was given the dog could play and wrestle with the agitator with no problems. I think a pit of solid temperment who is dealt with properly would have great fun at this. I know my girl Venus would of rocked at it. I used to wrestle harsh with her wearing a leather jacket and she stop on command and knew it was a game. She never tried to do it to anyone else. She understood it was play and she was trained that only I initiated play like that. I guess the key is having not only someone who really knows how to handle a dog in that type of situation and a dog with bomb proof temperment and GREAT training and socializing. Without all those things in place I could see it being a problem though. I actually looked into doing that with Venus but the place that did it near me used defense drive and basically made a living at making dogs paranoid enough to bite....

13. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

Like I said before i'm not using attack dog training methods which is completely different. I will assume that there are not many people with first hand experience with this type of training with another dog trainer. I do think the bad image pits have greatly effect people's opinions but I do know that my dogs love the training and in no way are being taught to attack people, i'm simply not using those methods. I've seen alot of improvements in my dogs control and obedience using methods from a friend who trains dogs and where I bring my dogs. My dogs love it and its a game to them, I for one am the one holding the sleeve during training, not a stranger. If they ever showed aggression towards me they know what will happen, lol. Seriously, I keep the sleeve as a game for them and they like working it just like anything else I can hold for them to work. But we will just go with the sleeve not being good to use because it will teach the dogs to attack people, no problem.

14. nappydawg

nappydawg Top Dog

hmmm not sure some really good points here it could be bad if the dog mistakes something else for a sleeve and does some real dammage there is the whole media thing hmm i say no better things to do sorry blue jmo no good no good at all

15. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

I just want opinions and I did state for personal use and training. The person who I go to is a professional trainer, I don't own a bite sleeve.

16. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

This is a neverending debate.

"I believe that ANY dog doing bit work should be working under a PROFESSIONAL Schutzhund trainer. "Street training" is a half-ass way to go."
    I fully agree with Mia's statement. Having been through such training myself, I won't personally recommend bite work for an APBT, but I can't object to it either, knowing firsthand how stable and controllable a professionally trained dog can be.

17. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

Very good post! lol. I agree with how you put it and how i've started a couple dogs with it is through a trainer. They love it and are gaining alot of solid control and advancing their obedience to another level. I'm not talking about attack training as most are use to seeing.

18. Rockstar

Rockstar CH Dog

A dog won't make it through training if it uses its defense drive, as opposed to its prey drive.

19. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

That's one thing I admire with his dogs. He has trained dogs of all types and having a pit that learns to release on command and many other good solid skills and control is what i'm aiming for. Offcourse he is my friend and is the one doing the actual training, i'm just going through it with him as they are my dogs and I want to get the results i'm looking for. So far they've done wonderful, and he makes sure it stays a fun game for the dogs at all time, no aggression is allowed.

20. Bluepit50

Bluepit50 Top Dog

Keep your opinions honest and open minded, I respect everyone here and its important to me to hear from all you. Remember I want to help the breed, so if this is a bad idea than I just want to understand why. Also keep in mind this is through a professional trainer and myself helping, and i'm looking at only methods that improve control and obedience, no public involment.