1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Biking with a BullDog

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by BBT, Jan 2, 2012.

1. BBT

BBT Big Dog

For those that bike their dogs, what kind of lead, collar, and/or harness setup do you use?? I used to use a front lead harness and do figure 8s until they learned. Are their any new products out for this?

2. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

The ones that I have biked with I have used a 6ft lead and a 2" collar. Most of the time it worked out pretty well.

3. Nash

Nash Big Dog

Short lead so the dog is always right next to the bike, even when it pulls he cant go in front or behind the bike.5 inch collar. Keep the dog right and make sure the rear brake is "on the left hand side". You know the song.

4. pookie!

pookie! Top Dog

Max 5ft lead, held tight and close and a regular 2" collar.

5. hardluck

hardluck Banned

when i bike my dog he is on a 4-5 ft lead. i choke up on the lead giving only maybe 2.5 ft for the dog to run. i always have control of the dog as its next to me. dont ever let the dog get in front of you. i would not trust any of those bike dog products, i just never seen one used on our dogs. i think they are made for other breeds and not ours. Some will tell you not to even ride them on a bike, but if you know what your doing and trust yourself and have your strong hand near the brakes you should be good. just dont mess up or you'll be kissing the street.

6. BBT

BBT Big Dog

I do the same just collar and lead. My male is always on left side whether on bike, jog, or run. So my issue is left arm fatigue and not being able to switch sides. I was thinking maybe theres a new type of harness, frame attachment, technique, etc.

7. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

Collar and i just regulate the leash, depending where i am and what im doing. I tie the leash to the frame, just up to the fork.

I dont like harness, too much friction into the sides.

Here's a vid, old one tho :P

[video=youtube_share;ZCTBN97F7gc]http://youtu.be/ZCTBN97F7gc[/video]

8. hardluck

hardluck Banned

looks fun pirbul

9. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

Sucks to live in the city, now in a better place :D

That was the first time they were running in bike as a pack.

10. versatile

versatile Big Dog

when you ride you should never let the dog be in front. if it sees a dog or animal it will bolt after it, cross your path, and you will crash. i learned the hard way. now i steer with one (left) hand and use the other hand to control the dog. wrap the leash around your wrist so there is no more than 3 feet of lead, once again you don't want the dog crossing your path. imho think it's best to run the dog on the right side. it can usually run in the grass while your on the road. i rarely pedal, when the dog stops pulling the bike i turn around and head home. keep an eye out for other people's dogs.

11. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

I like having my two hands in the handlebar. If i need i can pick up the leash and pull the dog, if you tie to the frame, you wont have balance problems and you can brake with both hands without losing balance.

When i was 13, and my dog Bongo was young (RIP), i used to do bike with him every weekend, one day my chain broke and i ran around for couple weeks just using my dog as motor LOL.

In that video you see my brother's gf, she weights something like 45kg and the black dog weighted by then around 22kg, a pulling machine and she never fell to the ground.

As i said, i let them more or less leash depending on where i am, and i live in a city.. so you can expect everything... unleash dogs, children playing with balls and even rats LOL. Just tie the leash to the frame, put both hands in the handlebar and get your brakes to work correctly. Start slowly and you'll have a good time.

I bike everyday, something like 20 min to get to the place where i let dogs run offleash, in middle of nowhere hehe. I'll put a video in a few minutes.

12. the.peon

the.peon Top Dog

Unless the animal in question just rips the entire front end of the bike off the ground. No contact means no balance or control, lol

13. fonzie

fonzie Top Dog

Short leach right next to the bike and a chock collar

14. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

15. Nash

Nash Big Dog

There's a wee bit of space where i trust my dog enough to do the same as on the leash. A relaxed 12 km per hour pace next to the bike. Few commands here and there to keep him in check. Realy nothing to go after on this road, and the piece of road i do this on is just 2 minutes long. You see that he's next to the bike keeping same pace cause he is used to it.
    [video=youtube;znxmq65r16k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znxmq65r16k&feature=related[/video]

The reason why i keep my dog at the right side is because opposite traffic ( cars, pedestrians, bikes etc ) are on my left hand side. ( In UK i would do opposite ) So the dog is between the bike and the curb for safety. Also left hand side for the rear brake as that is the hand that's always on the stear and brake. Which is the rear brake cause if something should happen and you brake with front brake only, that's some air time for you right there. Try looking back and see if your bike follows you to land on top of you.

16. joe rock

joe rock Pup

I use a harness and 12ft line that clips onto a weight lifting belt ! The reason I use a harness = it did'nt restrict the dogs neck and breathing as much . The 12 ft line ( plastic cover'd wire ) it is strong, gave me more choice on directing the dog,(pull line slightly to one side to go in that direction)and speed and if the dog was in front pulling me , it gave me more distance from it ,so if it pulled up quick I would have more time and space to brake . The weight lifting belt , the dog weighed 62lbs so he could pull real hard and fast and I use to loop it around my waist , and it would cut me into ! so I then clipped the wire line onto the belt .
    I have try'ed sevaral ways of biking with a dog and found this to be the best set up for me .

17. Pirbul

Pirbul CH Dog

How long do you guys (harness users) bike with your dogs. I've tried walking harness and canicross harneses but friction made a wound in chest or backend. Thats the reason i switched back to collar, 5cm one works for my dogs.

18. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Working harness & 4ft lead.

19. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

I just got a bike from a friend for the holidays and the plan is to use a 2" collar and 5' leash with a prong collar backup.

20. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Id hold off on the prong collar and get u a 3" sratbelt collar from stillwater