1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

best chain?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by Scrappy2k4, Dec 29, 2004.

1. As my APBT gets older I am scared that he will try to jump my fence. A lot of kids play out side my house. I want to start chaining him in the back yard. what is a good chain to get that he wont just rip out the ground?

2. powder925

powder925 Big Dog

A chain spot is only as good as the weakest link which is usally the collar.As long as you have a good collar attached to a chain that is stonger then the collar and have the chain anchored good you shouldn't have any problems

3. get a good stake, i use a fence post dug deep in the ground with cement, a 10 foot 3/8 inch link chain

4. JCleve86

JCleve86 Big Dog

I'm not a big fan of keeping dogs outside, but if you must...DO NOT get a huge chain for your dog. This will only break down his muscles and can cause spinal damage. As I said, I'm not a huge fan of outdoor dogs so the other members here can probably help you out more on this...one thing I'll add though...don't just attach the chain to your dogs collar. Get an o-ring (available at a few online stores including acmekennel.com and http://www.dresslersdog.com/hardware01.html) and put the collar through that, and then attach the chain to the o-ring. That way, the dog would have to snap the o-ring to break free (provided that the rest of the chain is strong). From what I hear, most problems with dogs busting chain systems is due to busting collars or the d-rings on the collars...so this completely bypasses that issue. You might consider getting a cable rather than a chain too...