1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Before and After

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by marshall619, Feb 5, 2010.

1. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

I see alot of "Raw diet" threads and was wondering what were the most notable changes in your dogs, from appearance to energy level etc... I've fed pre-made raw (Bravo & Natures Variety) to homemade diets. The changes I've really noticed between kibble & raw was he got into shape alot faster (dropping weight), muscles were more defined, and less intake of water. Right now I'm feeding Canidae (ALS) with an occassional fish oil capsule, and raw (feed separately). Other than what I mentioned, there weren't any drastic changes in appearance between raw and kibble. Energy level & coat was the same. But I do understand raw may be better in the long run.

By the way, any before and after pics of those that fed kibble then switched to raw? I also was feeding straight raw for half a year.

Mel

2. slim12

slim12 Super Moderator Staff Member

the biggest difference between the two will be the piles....the RAW diet will be assimilated at a higher percentage than the smae amount of dry food, even the natural ones. I did not see a huge difference in the over all dog.

3. melros

melros Pup

I just started feeding raw 3 weeks ago but already am seeing a difference. He had scratched all the hair off the back of his ears and now its starting to grow back. Also his coat is alot shinnier and he has a lot less dandruff.
    Heres a picture where you can see how bald his ears are:
    [​IMG]
    It's kind of hard to see but this one shows the hair thats starting to grow back, sort of looks like black peach fuzz.
    [​IMG]

4. Deniz

Deniz Big Dog

The difference I have noticed between kibble and raw is that when you feed your dog kibble it will hold more moisture in his body. When you feed raw the dog will hold less moisture.

5. lunadogge

lunadogge Pup

What? I'm confused by what you are trying to say.
    Are you saying that the dog drinks less. This has nothing to do with hydration, but the fact that kibble is a dry product that provides no moisture. Raw fed dogs drink considerably less water since their food contains water.

6. cheese

cheese Top Dog

My dog had allergies on canidae and i switched to orijen and it got better but it was still there. After switching to raw there were no more allergies. It does seem my dog has calmed down as well but it could be she's just got older:confused:. But appearance wise she looks the same as far as i have noticed.

7. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

I agree appearance wise do not expect a transformation just from feeding raw even though nutrition is a vital key towards their appearances you have to incorporate the diet along with just plain hard work. As far as allergies/fur problems go I do tend to see people saying they clear up just by feeding raw. I still give minimal kibble with a main raw diet however but I love how my dog looks this diet works for us :)

Let me see if I can find a decent before picture but sorry if I can't.

8. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

how expensive does it get joey?

9. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

its hard to imagine somebody with a yard of 10 or more dogs feeding raw all the time.

10. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

when I first mentioned evo from innova, they were constantly telling me to switch to raw and they wouldn't hear of kibble from the main perspective, I always thought raw meant higher pricing with the different varieties you are in need to give and such. I thought about it for a good few days and decided to at least try it but I made sure it would be fine to still keep the kibble somewhere in the diet since that was just my preference from the start.

I found it to be about as expensive as buying the largest bag of kibble, for a pack of chicken legs, wings, and thighs that will last me for maybe 2-3 weeks it will cost about $40 the chicken gizzards and livers are the cheapest part of the diet they cost about $2 per package/tub and are lasting for a few weeks now. Organic eggs I just take them from the fridge :D and I give an egg every other day or two. The kibble is lasting me even longer now since I barely supplement a little less then a cup per meal. So in a month's average it's about $40-$50 for me to feed a ONE 50 pound dog. I usually run out of the wings and legs the quickest since I will usually give 3 pieces per meal unless I have thighs those will be finished in about a week and a half.

11. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

ive been thinkin bout goin raw also, but the thought of the cost has always scared me away

12. popper

popper CH Dog

you can keep it pretty cheap

chicken leg quarters from wal mart 10 pounds is either 4 or 5 .99
    pack of turkey necks 2.00
    dozen eggs 1.00
    3 packs of chicken gizzards 4.25
    2 buckets of chicken livers 3.00
    1 beef kidney 3.00
    1 can of oatmeal 2.50
    that will last me about 3 1/2 weeks with still having left overs i also incorporate canned mackeral and salmon.... just look for sales

13. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

yeah exactly as I had stated how many dogs do you own evil Kyle?

14. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

2..... with the intention on gettin 1 more before long

15. marshall619

marshall619 Top Dog

Thanks yall for the input. Right now I'm doing the kibble/raw thing. I may be going straight raw soon. But like I stated earlier, not really any difference on my dog, but we all know every dog is different.

Mel