1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

before and after photos

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by shadyridgekennel, May 20, 2006.

1. all my dogs are fed raw.. i dont put no kibble in them..they dont need that shit.raw is the best way to go . anyway she got lost of hand walking,mill work, flirpole. and some weight dragging..

2. simms

simms CH Dog

Who said anything about kibble....LOL.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2006
  3. MR BIGGS

MR BIGGS Breed Advocate

I like the picture on the left of the original post(the before pic). Looks well defined before and very athletic. The after is just sad looking, but to some that's what a conditioned dog looks like.

4. Riptora

Riptora CH Dog

It does look like she lost a tiny bit of muscle mass in the after pic. It is very hard to tell because the angle is different and her stance is different. It is also tricky feeding a raw diet. I think raw is fabulous, I am sure you have been feeding it for a while, I fed my athletic dobe a cooked diet specific to his needs, but when you are conditioning it is hard to estimate how much protien is needed. It's amazing how much muscle requires to maintain and build. It takes more calories and protien to build than to maintain and it takes a lot just to maintain also. Raw diets are very tricky.

It would be great if next time you use the same location (I noticed you have a grooming table in one of your pics) and the same height, light and stance, but I guess we're getting picky here.

5. B

B CH Dog

I'd change diet during conditioning. The dog needs more protein and fat. Just my friendly advice. We're all here to help. Every dog is different but they shouldn't have flatter looking muscles. The definition just isn't there even in the other shot. PM if you want and I'll try to help if I can or if you are even interested. I'd like to know the portions and what she was eating and perhaps I could better help.

Check my pictures below.

Gauge1 is the start.

Gauge shows the beginning to the end.

Gauge-4 is showing a shot with ribs slightly visible. Nice definition and a solid line of muscle running down his rib cage from head to tail.

Gauge-10 is showing overall muscle definition and the nice seperation between his ribs and midsection/belly. Muscle extremely full and very hard. They are defined and obviously protruding.

Gauge-11 is showing overall muscle definition. Look at his shoulders in this shot. The line on his rib cage shows well. He shows a nice tight tuck but not emancipated at all.

I hope these pictures show you a bit what I am referring to in my last post. I would be happy to explain some of the methods behind my madness.

He was working an hour of pure HIIT training at this point and then we went on a nice trail run. He could recover his heart rate in minimal time and it got extremely hard for me to keep him working at his max rate. I used no supplements on this keep however because I was trying to find the best weight for him to keep ALL of his strength and speed. We even ended up building his backend even better and getting the nice strong front end. If you are feeding properly and training properly you should be able to cut his fat and build muscle. It all comes to training and diet.

Regards,

B

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2006
  6. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

That was my honest opinion,, the dog looks to have more muscle difinition in the previous photo than it does in the after photo,,,really look at the two pics and you can see,,the mucle should have stayed or increased,,, I'm not by no means knocking your dog ,just adding my opinion,,or maybe change the feed to more protien,

7. simms

simms CH Dog

Nice post,

Good lookin animal, and a fine Example.

8. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

nice post,,, dog is looking good,, excellent example, definately comming around

9. B

B CH Dog

Appreciate the comments guys :)

Regards,

B

10. TRENCHHOUND

TRENCHHOUND Big Dog

Looks Great

11. tommy3

tommy3 CH Dog

12. pennsooner

pennsooner CH Dog

When you guys are working a dog really hard in a keep, how many times a day do you feed? B's dog looks FANTASTIC. Do you increase food during the keep? Feed more fat?

And Shadyridge, your dogs look great as well. But yes, it looked like the dog lost some muscle mass during the end of the keep.

Tommy3: I liked that link. I know in humans they talk about the "golden hour" after working out and that makes sense. In the wild a dog would start of eat the second his workout ended, IE, when he caught dinner.

13. I personally thank that is to mutch rib showing.. . Does he have hip bone showing, I really cant tell. . If so under fed if not your in good shape. But I am a newbie I,ll let everyone els decide. I also think the dog needs more Mussle tone. I am new at this so if I am rong tell me.

14. B

B CH Dog

I feed twice a day while conditioning. With my schedule (everyone's varies) I would feed right in the morning when I woke up. That gave the dog a solid 12 hours before we worked him. After we returned from all of our work I would feed again almost exactly 40 minutes after we finished. I don't think a dog should be fed 2 hours before working. In my opinion that just increased the chance of a twisted gut, the same as feeding too soon after working out. I believe that the animal should have approx. 2.5 grams of protein per pound of lean muscle and at least 2.5 grams of fat per pound of lean muscle. This varies a bit between dogs but it is a good basis. It sounds odd offering a dog fat while you are trying to reduce its weight but it is essential in keeping the muscle on the dog. The type of training I do also helps preserve lean muscle mass. Exceptionally long training periods generally begin to burn muscle protein for energy. My goal is to have the dogs body running off the supplied fat and his own fat for energy. I feed very little carbs during conditioning. He gets under a gram up to a gram(must be watched and adjusted) per lean muscle pound after exercise. The dog in the first picture was approx. 56.5 lbs. By the time I was finished and happy with my results and his strength and speed remained the same he was a little over 50 lbs. He gained muscle mass and lost both internal and external fat. I did a one week pre-keep feeding high protein and mid levels of fat to cut back some of the stored stuff. We eased into the heavy work in this period. After this we started the full course and began to work progressively harder using HIIT training. I firmly believe that HIIT training is an essential part of conditioning an animal. The focus is to increase heart rate dramatically and then work on an extremely quick recovery. There are many people's ideas on methods and what works but your goal is to ultimately end up with a lean animal that preserves the same or better strength and speed than you started. If the animal is weaker then you have not done your job at some point. Most people's mistakes come from fearing protein and fat. These are both essential to accomplish your conditioning goals. The other essential item is keeping your dog interested and wanting to work hard for you. A bored dog is not going to give his all.

Regards,

B

Edit: I forgot to say but he didn't eat much in the mornings. I would keep them extremely small amounts of food. This was just enough to jump his metabolism and provide some energy for workout later. This was not a full meal.

15. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

I'll be there by dinner, just make sure its on the table when I get there, maybe start off with a nice salad and some rolls, iced tea would be nice..LOL

16. ok lol hehehe