1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

"Beefing Up" The Back End

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by GSDbulldog, Sep 22, 2009.

1. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Re: "Beefing Up" The Back End

Frank, we do a lot of cardio/endurance because on top of this I am trying to lean him up (Plus I refuse to run alone at night lol). To me, having him lean and healthy is more important than him being "beefy".

I'm trying to find a picture of him relaxed,

[​IMG]

It a few weeks old, and he's slimmed up some.

Slim, thanks. I think I am going to take that route instead of concentrating on his backend.

2. Bxpits

Bxpits CH Dog

he looks proportionate to me. would like to see a pic of him in that same pose now to compare but he is nice!

3. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Thats a beautiful hound you got there GSD;) and if thats you holding him, nice legs on you....:D

4. lrk

lrk Big Dog

Took the words outta my mouth AGK

5. scratchin dog

scratchin dog CH Dog

I think his back end looks fine. He just needs some slimming/toning. He's a great looking dog..cant wait to see him ripped.

6. TRUEPITS

TRUEPITS Big Dog

Best exercise is swimming. That gets lean muscles toned. Also springpole for that waist and core. But you need to do your walks to get that back end as well. And change it up a lil bit its good to do one day swiming the otehr spring pole. another walk, another do some running....that's what we do at least.

7. mick73

mick73 Pup

id suggust flirt pole as someone eles has stated, will give the dog alot of explosive power and running up sand dunes if they are near you.

8. briarpatch

briarpatch Banned

I'd do a low spring pole , with feet just touching the ground and add a weighted vest...

9. briarpatch

briarpatch Banned

or flirt with the weighted vest but then you are going to be working the shoulders too.

10. Re: "Beefing Up" The Back End

Drag Wight is da shizzel:)

I will post a pic of one of my females later, and she do alot of sprint and drag wight.

All the best..

11. HBK

HBK Big Dog

He looks fairly thick to me already in those pictures but pictures sometime don't tell the whole story. So I am going to answer based on the question you asked instead of the picture.

First, it sound like you are doing too much cardio/long distance running. Hand walk him with a harness and let him pull slightly but no running for the same distance you are running and walking him. Only do a couple of sprints at about the half way point of the walks.

Second, flirt pole!! 15 minutes of chasing should wear him out if you do it right. About every 5 minutes just hold it up in the air and let him jump straight up for it from a stand still. Do 2 or three reps of 8 to 10 jumps. This will really work his rear!!

Third, spring pole with back feet touching the ground. Just like the others said.

Fourth, drag weight.

Fifth, try adding some raw beef to his diet.

Always make sure your dog is warmed up and emptied before stressing him. Thats my 2 cents :-)

12. RedNoseGurl

RedNoseGurl Big Dog

Yup......im told to lay off the spring pole cos it beefs it up too much for my doggie !

13. norcalreds.com

norcalreds.com Big Dog

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. kitzter

kitzter Pup

i would say resistance training will beef him up:)

15. kitzter

kitzter Pup

16. mikefromMD

mikefromMD Top Dog

[​IMG]

Drag chains or some other type of weighted object. Add in some sprinting, road work, swimming along with the carpet mill, good genetics and ALOT of work and this is what ya get...

CH Diva, 2 months ago....

17. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

the way they should be set up

18. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

thats a proper setup...back feet touching. allows them to work, and not just hang

19. art

art Big Dog

i do a srping paralle to the ground pull back it work's for me :D:cool::D:cool:

20. GSDbulldog

GSDbulldog CH Dog

Just some newer pictures,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]