1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Barryvox PULSE Revisited: Design Flaw?

Discussion in 'Patterdale Terriers' started by Blackpoison, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

2. Blackpoison

Blackpoison CH Dog

Pist Hors just got their hands on two units and found a potential product flaw that they point out on their blog:
    The off/send button on the new Mammut/Barryvox PULSE tranceiver can be knocked to off, due to a very poorly designed and implemented on/off switch. I’ve just purchased two of the spankin’ new Barryvox PULSE transceivers, and both have the same major design fault! To turn them on the on on/off button is pulled sideways, and is meant to lock into ‘send’ and can then in theory only be turned off by pushing it AND the off button down together and then moving the whole switch to off.

However on both my units the device goes into send mode and does it’s self test, the transmit led blinks and it issues 3 beeps to say ‘I’m OK’ before the switch has moved far enough to be locked into the send position, and thus at any time a gentle nudge on the switch turns the device BACK OFF!!! (Tumbling in an avalanche? Reaching into an inside pocket? Falling ? etc.)

Comments
    Display comments as (Linear | Threaded)

Mamut Barryvox is a beacon which has numerous flaws in designing. Its skips into off mode without informed the user. The victim dosent even know if the equipment is working / not, while its been waiting for the search time to rescue them. Moreover as time passes inside snow, the heart pulse obviously would slow down, which will make the barryvox detector-pulse stop working since it works only till the heart pulse is working at some level. So if you are stuck up for little long, and as your pulse starts decreasing, the beacon is 1st one to leave you alone, and stop signalling to rescue team of your location, henceforth ensuring that you are DEAD. On top its high battery consumption due to LCD display is another big no no.......if going to snow...dont even think about banking on Mamut Pulse barryvox......its better to be without it...than with it.....atleast no wrong hopes. ...

Pipes DSP - the big LCD display is also a big no as its not EN compliant due to its intereference with radio signals/ walki talki handets of Motorola etc. hence the rescue team would be digging for you at wrong places...and finally leaving you in snow .......on top the low duration of running - approx 200 hours is also a big thums down.

3. skratchr81

skratchr81 Big Dog

wtf i guess what ever your lookin for had better be alive

4. rathernotsay

rathernotsay Big Dog

My deben LRT has never let me down, Ive never tryed any other collar, and I would try another one if given the chance, but for now I stick with the tried and true LRT. When it reads 3 feet I dig 3 feet and thats where my terrier is. It says 6 feet I dig 6 feet and thats where my terrier is. Thats all I need right? What do the other systems do that the Deben doesnt?