1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Barkers

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by shadyridgekennel, May 17, 2006.

1. Attila

Attila Guest

Now this is an easy one for me. Retired SF. SF can mean spank fast. A good ole fashion paddling shuts a kid up and makes him mind rite fast like. Just ask my dad and all the Nuns at ST. Mary's After a few years they only had to give me a look and I was yes sir and yes mam. I will get right on it and shut my damn mouth real fast. I only have step son's but one time out at the side of the shed and a leather strap and that back talking stops perminantly. And that was to their mother. They have yet to cross me on that again. 7 years and not a slip yet.They could have called them scan or what ever you call em but they would have been homeless. A good spanking never hurt me. Glad I got them. I would have probably been a bratt otherwise

2. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

The problem with spankings & bark collars arise when they are nothing more than a bandaid to the original problem. While some dogs just like to hear themselves bark, they are a very small minority. Most dogs bark out of pent up energy, excitement, & boredom. They NEED exercise & more than just chasing a ball around once or twice a day. And roaming around the yard doesn't do it either. People need to learn to step it up & fix the problem on their end, before punishing the dog for a behavior that is more like a plea for something to do.

14rock likes this.
  3. you said it right miakoda people need to learn to step it up these dogs need to be worked if not they'll start to act out like barking and destroying anything they can get their paws on. oh yeah maygar, spankings made me a better person too. lol sure didnt think so when i was gettin em though.

4. Suki

Suki Guest

Mia wrote: Most dogs bark out of pent up energy, excitement, & boredom. They NEED exercise & more than just chasing a ball around once or twice a day. And roaming around the yard doesn't do it either. People need to learn to step it up & fix the problem on their end, before punishing the dog for a behavior that is more like a plea for something to do.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- google_ad_section_start(weight=ignore) --><!-- sig -->

Agree! Dogs bark FOR a reason, NOT for no reason! It's their way of telling you something, whether that be they want to be with you=lonely, or as mentioned, bored=need a job to do, too contained=pent up energy, or any other number of things. If your dog is barking, imo, you should find out why, and adress the issue accordinally: exercise, talk to, or see what the "something" is that they're barking at. Find out what the "issue" is, and take care of it.

5. Hillbilly Pit

Hillbilly Pit Big Dog

I am haveing the same problem. I went on vaecasion all last weak my dog was with a friend. When i got home i got him back the frist night he was back he started barking. I trided the verble stuff no luck trided woaping him no luck. This whent on from 9:30 tell 2:30 in the morneing i get up at 5:20 to go to work. At 2:30 went out the door i didn't turn no light on didn't say nothing and at the eag of the yard was a cyoty well when i said J.R.'s name to get on to him the cyoty ran. I ran back in the house to get my shot gun whe i got back it was gone but i shot in to the woods hopeing it would stay away. He still barked for 30min. after that and i had to put him in the shop so he would stop that was Sunday night. Monday night same thing, night come he started barking. Well at 9:30 i went out out of frustrasion i put him on the gip line that go's to the eag of the woods hopeing if the cyoty was romeing around there J.R. would kill it and it would be done he barked about 30 more min. and was quite the rest of the night. Well Tue. Wes. different story it was constint until i couldnit stand it anymore and put him in shop to get some sleep. I have went out there and stood in the dark to see if i hear or see anything and there's nothing their and he sill looks tword the woods and bark. One i don't like a dog that barks when there's nothing there. Two i have a neighbor that is elderly and is not in good healith. So know what do i do?
    P.S. I hwent and trided to see if the cyoty was liveing in the woods behind my house. On scine's of it.

6. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

I live in a residential neighborhood and my 13 week old pup wont stop barking when she is out on her cable while I am out at work and is driving my nieghbors (and myself) nuts...

I was thinking about using a bark collar, but is it too soon to use one on her at 13 weeks? At what age can you start using one?

7. MISSAPBT

MISSAPBT Top Dog

My last two bitches whined and barked on the chain forever used to drive me up the fuckin wall!
    Just ignore it all!!

Gracie is a little angel, no need to chain brek her i just chucked her on at like 4months and havent heard a peep since, she is now 8months

8. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

The problem is more so my nieghbors ignoring it...I can put up with it, my nieghbors on the other hand...Not so much

9. MISSAPBT

MISSAPBT Top Dog

Have you tried giving ya dog a canon bone to chew on?

10. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

She has plenty of bones/chew toys etc. to keep her occupied but they dont interest her when she is on the cable.

I think one of the main contributors to her barking is that she wants to be like the house dogs I have and be able to roam around the fenced parts of the yard...But she has to learn she isnt like those dogs and as a result needs different treatment lol...Hopefully this will come clear to her as she ages!

11. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

I use a shock collar and water. I used the shock for months with great results but my bitch learned how to ware out the batteries quick. Lol. She also hates water,so when she hits ADHD mode, I spray her with the water hose for about 3 seconds. JMO

12. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

I got 2 new pups, everyone pray for me (and them). The buckskin one would NOT shut up last night, i was bout to kill her lol

13. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

How long would you leave it on? And at what age did you start using it on her?

I thought about using the water method, but was curious if spraying them with water creates a negative association with water-activities like swimming? :confused:

I wish you luck buddy :D

14. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

i would leave the collar on all day, it activates on its own when ever the dog starts to nuisance bark. The collar only delivers the shock during nuisance barking which i believe is when the dog starts to bark in repeative sessions of 2 barks or more. The dogs that i spray water on would never swim anyway, so their negative association was already there for it to work in the first place. A couple of my dogs love the water and will stand there while you spray happily.

15. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Gotcha. :cool:

16. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

before I left on vacation I tried to steer zoey into getting use to staying outside in the backyard as much as possible. That was where she would remain during the entire day and then I would have my cousin come to put her in the garage at night. Well, we established that she is the biggest whiner once she is aware that is staying outside. She thankfully does not bark for the attention but she whines and whines and whines. Well I figured that is not nearly as annoying as a non stop bark so she had to deal with it and she survived as well as the neighbors. Even until this day if I want to leave her outside for a few hours or so she may begin to whine and not stop. She will not come back in until she has stopped whining and is sitting patiently I have never gave in to her for that.

Now my parents german shepherd/rottweiler cross that dog once she starts barking it's never ending. I told my parents to buy a muzzle for her and they won't listen. We got a complaint from her one time from a neighbor who called the cops when we left on vacation. If we go on vacation during the this fall they better consider a bark collar.

Purepit which shock collar do you use if you don't mind?

17. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Yeah I don't budge at all, no matter how bad it gets under my skin...

Its my parents that let her off the cable because they are tired of hearing her bark...I cannot get it through to them that when they do this, they are giving the pup the idea that if she continues to bark long enough, someone will set her loose...

18. JoeyNzoey

JoeyNzoey Top Dog

OH WOW

the same exact ordeal over here with my mother! she is always trying to let her in behind my back or baby talk to her while she is whining.....this drives me absolutely crazy no matter the countless times I have to even yell at my mother to stop, she refuses to listen. I tell her repeatedly that by doing either of those two you are giving and feeding her into thinking she is doing something right to come back in or cry about. She says I mean and that's to long enough my goodness I get exhausted each time she starts to say stuff and how I will have to repeat the same useless things.

are you going to try the shock collar?

19. simpson

simpson Big Dog

peanut butter

20. BRONXXX

BRONXXX Big Dog

Yeah, I'm going to go compare prices/collars this weekend...I have a difficult time justifying paying that much for a collar, but I think this might be that occasion...

what about it?