1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

badger trial dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by blanch, Feb 9, 2010.

1. peppapig

peppapig Banned

is it not usually the big bull crossbreeds sent in to finish a badger off?...and thats after quite a few terriers have been on it a while!the badger is tired exhausted and still trying to find a way out of the situation!!....then a big fresh bull cross is set on it.not my cup of tea that.....

2. blanch

blanch Big Dog

i was refering more to when it was legal and there were strict rules,sound dogs would go in first to confirm there was somthing in there then a strong dog i.e staff,ebt,wheaten,imaal terrier etc would go in and draw it,im sure people do just set lots of dogs on one exhausted badger but thats no test for a dog

3. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

fighting an animal fighting out of fear doesnt test gameness? Rules? Only rules should be to cull the animal if its a pest in a way to cause less suffering. Why dont the owners stop using frightend animals fighting to escape as a way to call their dog this and that, man up and put the dog in a box and see what the dogs truely made of doing what it was bred for...

4. dannyboy

dannyboy Big Dog

My take on the subject, for what it`s worth... a lot of the old dogs that were were bred for badger trials, are in the make up of a lot of todays[] dogs.....whether you believe a badger tests for gameness or not, that "frame of mind" willingness etc is what was passed on.
    Cheers Dan.

5. peppapig

peppapig Banned

exsqueeze me!!....what box dogs of tday are from trial stock??

6. dannyboy

dannyboy Big Dog

Isnt the pyscho/beanie stuff down from badger trial dogs....same goes for the DRS dogs...could be wrong

7. peppapig

peppapig Banned

and how many of them bred dogs are in the box??.......a very very very very small percentage....

8. dannyboy

dannyboy Big Dog

Im not aware of many other strains of s.b.t`s that are used as box dogs?

9. peppapig

peppapig Banned

its not that they arent used.......the psychos, d-reds etc...just not in any great numbers....its a bad example you gave....im sure theres staffs elsewhere in the world used for baiting or trials etc...but im quite sure they wont be making a big impact in a box anytime soon....

10. matty

matty Big Dog

gog123 i kind of understand where your comming from but have to disagree, these badger trials have been going on as a test of gameness for a long long time probably as long as putting them in the box or even longer and were bred for these trials in a lot of cases, like it or not thats they way it has been done for hundreds of years.

11. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

disagree matty how can the dog be tested going against an animal who doesnt want to be there and doesnt want to win? Im not anti pest control but this is no sport and the animal has no choice. Id know who id rather a pup of given the chance between a game dog or a dog whos needed a few staples fighting an animal wanting nothing more than to escape and like i said some dogs quit on top because it knows that other dog is going to keep coming ...the wild animal wont put this mental stress on a dog and cant be compared to a game test....for many its just to stroke their own egos.

12. matty

matty Big Dog

That is because of your definition of gameness, you presume it can only be tested one way, but for hundreds of years these trials have been classed as game tests my great dog men who know much more about dogs than me, or you or most on this forum.

And as you say..."who doesnt want to win?" Well it does want to win it certainly doesnt want to die, it may have little choice in the matter but this has been the way for centuries, be it rats, badgers, foxes, hogs, bulls and in the box.

As iv said look into the history of these trials and some of the past great staffords it was classed as a game test, although it tests different qualitys than compared to pitting a dog it does give a hard test to the dogs, as there will be many dogs that would hide there tails and make a run for it when struck by a large badger, and if this same dog was to end up in the box i certainly wouldnt back it!

Obviously all the above we are talking about when these types of sport were legal and common place, i do wish i lived in a time i could have seen these dogs worked.

13. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

the animal isnt looking to win, given a chance to escape it will. Its fine as pest control to see if your terrier will do what it was bred for...how many stafford owners brag about their dog doing this and that but wont put the dog into something which is perfectly equal size and wanting to be there just as bad? Above all im an animal lover and i dont see any sport in killing innocent animals for no reason.

14. Yardboy

Yardboy CH Dog

Better play it safe and get a 500 smith & wesson

15. Boze

Boze Top Dog

if a dog gets his face torn apart by a badger and he continues he is game i do not give a shit what anyone says that is gameness

16. gog123

gog123 Top Dog

that same dog could be going into an animal which he knows wont quit and once he knows his not got it left in him to finish may quit on top? Even if it tests gameness you cant tell me its not cruel unless its pest control like i said im an animal lover..

17. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

matty, i was def a bit harsh but i am sick of these one side of the pond to the other tiffs it goes nowhere but to say "we sent you guys the dogs" and then "we made em better" bullshit.
    i dont doubt that there would be the best of the best on both sides of each, but we could suprise you with what we have down under too, and we got dogs from both of your home countries. but a we have better than you shit gets no one anywhere.
    most if not all of the good guys down here shut the hell up or theyl be gonners just for owning the breed.

that being said i dont think a badger of anysize would stand a chance against a real APBT.

18. molly

molly Banned

Matty,if i'm not mistaken then the trials started in the 1930's or roundabout then.
    For those saying it is not a test,or maybe even cruel,well there has been many many respected dogmen involved in the federation trials,who are still talked on today. Peter Gorman would come straight to mind. Done correctly,by likeminded men,the trials was a good way of evaluating your dog ,but far from the cajun test.
    Like all working activities with the dogs,you will always get lads who would never earn the respect of their peer's. For every lad who abused the badger above ground,you will find there would be many more who abused the cajun dog. Man has abused everything in life in one way or another. That ain't going to change.
    Regarding the lads from the USA saying a badger would be gone in seconds with a well bred bulldog,well all i can understand from that is your species of badger must be far far from the UK version.
    A genuine dog man would never abuse a badger above ground.

19. damon

damon Banned

Putting a dog to badger is definatly a test of gameness, especially for the smaller working terriers. They are giving up weight to the badger, and are punished severly if they are a dog of hard type and gameness. Countless terriers have died when put to badger underground because these dogs don't know when to sit back and bay. The patterdales and lakelands are sometimes to hard for badgers, and it would be unwise to use these deadgame individuals because you will have lost a good dog, especially for fox. A big badger will give any dog hell. A dog does have to be game to finish one because it will take a pretty nasty beating in the process. Gameness is certainly needed, it's just directed against a wild animal and the dog sees the badger as his prey instead of another dog

20. peppapig

peppapig Banned

i always thought that the terriers put down the hole were used to bark,push badger back,help to locate it.....men dig down....lift out badger.....let dogs go on it above ground.....