1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

badger trial dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by blanch, Feb 9, 2010.

1. snakewidomski

snakewidomski Big Dog

Yes, the "animal lovers" have their own logic.
    I've read a funny thing some years ago. A jester has thrown a bag with 5 young cocks over the wall of an animal shelter. The "animal lovers" feed the cocks, but when they have grown up they have made a lot of noise and began to fight. So the "animal lovers" wrote in an German APBT-forum if somebody wants one cock for his garden, ....very urgent!!!:D

...They had a shelter full of dogs to feed, but don't kill the cocks for it :rolleyes:.
    I've laughed every time I read it.

2. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

the whole strong dog trials teastas mor trials were a sick joke invented by fantasist in the irish kennel club to justify their invented terrier breeds and bullshit about their dogs supposed gameness on a docile badger, in an artificial set . it was nothing more than a sanitised version of badger baiting in which the dog was given 5min to draw the badger from the artificial set ,hardly a test of gameness ! like most so called sports these events were about inventing a justification for invented breeds of dog,oh and lets not forget the amount of money that could be won and lost on the outcome. the whole trial dogs myth has only really found a home in the irish/old tyme staff world , were mix bred staffs are given an invented history full of socalled game trial dogs and then sold to a gullible public for a high price

3. culabula

culabula Big Dog

I doubt that youve ever seen a badger Mr tigerlines,let alone a dog on one.Ten seconds can be a long time _ask an olympic sprinter.By the way if anybody knows about an old time trial dog called "the popper" id be very intrested to know.Possibly a Glen or wheaten cross staff or each other(dont know).(p.m if ye want)

4. Oldskool Brent

Oldskool Brent Top Dog

I would say Badger trials show a degree of gameness. If a dead game dog is level 5 gameness, I would say a badger trial is level 1.

But honestly, I don't think any of my pits or pet bulls would have let a Badger back them down, and I only had 1 that I would say was a dog that would dead scratch. I just don't think the badger has enough tools to inflict enough damage quick enough to stop the old hold and shake. And obviously I am talking about being in the open as a 45 pound dog would not be going down any hole.

5. Tigerlines

Tigerlines Banned

ORIGINALLY POSTED BY CULABULA QUOTE = I doubt that youve ever seen a badger Mr tigerlines,let alone a dog on one.Ten seconds can be a long time _ask an olympic sprinter.By the way if anybody knows about an old time trial dog called "the popper" id be very intrested to know.Possibly a Glen or wheaten cross staff or each other(dont know).(p.m if ye want)

Thanks for informing me of your doubt!!…..ill store that INFORMATION in my file named WORTHLESS, and put it in my cabinet named RUBBISH BIN!!!……………………..and ill be sure to hunt down and discuss the relativity of time with an OLYMPIC SPRINTER, as soon as possible ..lol
    As for ever or never seeing a badger ??…….I guess you must be right , growing up in the MIDLANDS wouldn’t allow me to see many badgers , would it??????
    As for seeing a dog on one , only on you tube ..lol
    Any other bullshit you would like to post my why ????

Please feel free to educate me Irish man,………tell an Englishman , what EXACTLY i am misinformed about the TEASTAS MOR TRIALS in my original post.

and finally , as for your assertion that "TEN SECONDS CAN BE A LONG TIME".....truely hilarious in the context of gameness,....please , your not being serious are you??...no really , are you???????????
    <!-- / message -->
    <!-- controls -->​

6. culabula

culabula Big Dog

could run 11.2 once upon a time myself,it feels a hell of a lot longer than that when your flat out-as for the trials >many more dogs failed than passed-dogs that would eat the modern supposed psycho/stormer stuff without salt.It was your comment about the docility of badgers that provoked my comment as well as belittling the efforts of the finest dogmen these two islands have seen.A blindman could see the decline in the breeds used in trialling since the cessation of trials although ill admit the kerry blue was in serious decline as a game dog long before then.over in england ye created lots of breeds of dogs many of which work as good or better than their ancestors(greyhounds,gundogs etc.) but over here only a few breeds the majority of have been fucked up beyond all recognition by the showdog fraternity(AS an irishman i find this sickening,much like an american would feel if those blue hippo dogs became the sole representative of the apbt breed).Apologies if ive insulted you(drink +internet= bad mixture).As a hunter i dont like the artificiality that the trials entailed but perhaps it was a nessecary evil.

7. culabula

culabula Big Dog

A 45lb pit would make shit of a badger in the open as would the occasional greyhound/lurcher ,down a burrow artificial or natural, is a different story altogether ,head to head battle,nowhere to turn,no pit-craft to employ against a foe that never gives up

8. homer39

homer39 Banned

tigerlines reading what you wrote tells me you have a soft spot for the badger lol i was never interested in the trails but the dogs did show gameness,and if the english wanted one of the irish dogs they bought it .i wonder what the english kennel club have done for the staff lol

9. topbulls

topbulls Pup

Thanks for the links!

10. littleblackdog

littleblackdog Big Dog

I think this arguement will never end. Let me catch people up on a another thought, the word gamedog? What does that mean exactly, just because it is down from jeep, rascal, zebo, eli, or whatever; does it mean they are a gamedog? Nope! Now take this for instance, if a dog wins in :20 :30 :20; is he game? Not necessarily in my opinion (there is always a rule to exception) so call or name gameness as you choose because there is no golden rule book to gameness and gameness is not the same for each man. Gameness is defined and most can agree, the ability to keep going forward on a task without thought of self preservation.

This is a hard one to call but I promise there is patterdales and other breeds that have been pushing up hill in lbs quite a few times and without standing there but biting for their life and not hanging around barking like a cur, they will push deep into a fox, coon, badger or whatever and not lived to tell the tell and in my mind that is gameness in hunting and not being matched.

"Stay hungry for gameness, my friend" - The most interesting man in the world

11. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

in the grand scheme of things going face to face w something 1/3 your size and 2 hrs w something is 2 completely diff things imo. but littleblackdogs hit it on the head. no specified definiion of gameness, its subjective & differs from opinion to opinion

12. cromsboss

cromsboss Big Dog

this is my first time to post, so HELLO everybody
    I've read the comments as far as pg6
    correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the loose definition of gameness was a dog that would continue working at whatever task until it keeled over & died
    the test for gameness is surely different for different breeds
    Badgers IMO are are good test for Fells & Patterdales, but I've seen an A.P.B.T. on open ground crush a badgers skull, no contest!!!
    are Dogo Argentino's that hunt boar not considered game???

I'm from the small island across the pond & i don't think badgers are a true test for an A.P.B.T.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2010
  13. cromsboss

cromsboss Big Dog

a lot of what you say is true, I've witnessed a staff/A.P.B.T. cross play with a badger for an hour, first time round before finishing him, finished the second one a half hour later, but I've also seen an A.P.B.T. finish one first time round in seconds

different dogs, different attitudes & abilities
    the A.P.B.T. that finished the badger in seconds also has a fettish for cows, horses, dogs, cats & just about anything on 4 legs lol

a badger is not a true test for a pitbull

14. damon

damon Banned

Load of shit, a badger Is no easy feat for an apbt. I don't believe your story of seeing a dog crush ones skull at all. I've seen bulldogs on pigs and believe me the dogs struggle with them. If a dog knows what he's doing he can finish one, but if it just tries to bite the pig on the back it won't finish one. The only times a dog will kill one if it gets on the throat or guts.

15. cromsboss

cromsboss Big Dog

ha ha Damon, you've never seen a heavey mouthed apbt then, I wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it myself

a badger IS an easy feat for certain apbt's

16. damon

damon Banned

They must be ferrets not badgers

17. cromsboss

cromsboss Big Dog

ha ha Damon, I'm not goona loose any sleep over whether you believe it or not, but there's a serious difference between a pigs skull & a badgers, same as there's a serious difference between a sows skull & a boars skull

18. cromsboss

cromsboss Big Dog

LMAO :D
    badger is NO contest for a good apbt

19. damon

damon Banned

Well if your from England and you don't know what a pig is then my thoughts are true

20. crazy horse

crazy horse Big Dog

over the years pigs have seen off some good dogs fearless joe being one of note ,
    i saw a am bull 0f 90lb fit throw a pig around for about ten mins during an accidental encounter and wen let go the pig trotted off :eek: i hit one with a capri 25 years ago it wrecked my spoiler and stumbled off anyone who underestimates our native brock is a fool:cool: