1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Bad smell & excessive gas..?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by topmodel662, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Re: Bad smell & excessive gas..?

catchdog, i called the vet & he said they're too young to have the anal gland thing. He said that the change of food will help, it just hasn't had long enough to make any difference (almost 3weeks on diamond now) & he did mention that the cheap treats i had been using for rewards for their training were no good..so basically just confirmed what you guys said. I'm getting ready to put them on the scale to see exactly what they weigh, but here's another question: If i mainly feed the kibble, can i also add in some meat/bones, or should i just go with one or the other? Here are the best pix i could get..they won't sit still for anything. ...oh well it wont let me post the pics as an attachment?

2. Re: Bad smell & excessive gas..?

The pics of the dogs are in "First Pics" ..The 1st two dogs. ..Sorry i couldn't post to the forum directly. I am going to weigh them now..

3. Cinjent

Cinjent Pup

Re: Bad smell & excessive gas..?

kibble digests differently (or at a different rate) than raw meat and bone. for this reason, it seems to be better -if you want to feed both- to feed them as different meals. some people mix them up, but i wouldn't suggest that. raw foods pass through a dog in maybe 3 or 4 hours (their tract is much shorter than ours), while kibble, well, if you've ever seen your dog throw up 6 hours after feeding -it still looks pretty much the same as when it went in.

but i want to stress to anyone reading this; if you decide to go on an all meat diet, then you must include bone and organ meats. think of it as feeding the dog the entire prey -though this doesn't have to happen all in one meal (and couldn't unless the prey was small like a rabit). different nutrients are gained from different animal parts.

4. Re: Bad smell & excessive gas..?

I usually just give them a raw beef shank with the bone orsomething like that as a treat.. That started as a means to get them to stop chewing my funiture/sheets/clothing etc.. they chew through plastic toys/kongs/rawhide treats in a matter of minutes, but it takes them a few mins to get through the meat & then the bones keep them from chewing the house for hours on end.. and they love it so much that i feed it maybe once a week. I have gotten alot of flack from people who say i'm "giving them a thirst for blood". Those people swear that they're going to turn on my 8yr old son.:eek: ..So are the meat & bones ok just as an occasional thing? And should I really be cooking the meat first though?

5. Cinjent

Cinjent Pup

Re: Bad smell & excessive gas..?

"thirst for blood" lol! no really, Roflol!

cooking the meat first would devoid it of some of the food value to the dog and is Entirely unnecessary. -that's why wolves stopped cooking their elk a long time ago.:p

i used to feed my dog chickens and rabbits right from my yard and she didn't even get a blood thirst for chickens and rabbits -let alone children. if anything, proper food will make your dog more healthy, making it more stable and ensuring a safer animal for your kid.