1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

back to vet mystery shits!!!

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Mr. Brownstone, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

So more than two weeks ago ona my dogs started getting the shits bad, More like a month ago now. It started as i was about 2 weeks into switching her food, She neve does well with food change but can do it slow. So she not only gets the shits but also blood in her stool and a good amount of it. She even throws up once but only once and it is a decent size ball of grass. Granted she is always eating grass and throwing up from time to time. Anyway i take her to the vet have her stool tested and nothing. They put her on Flagil to help the irritation and tell me to feed boiled rice and chicken. So i do so and within a few days her stools are better but still not normal, soft the first part and loose toward the end. Plus the rice does not seem to digest. The flagil runs out and she gets the shits full on again and back to the vet we go. This time i say i want to deworm her as she has tested negative before for both Giardia and Cocidia then tested pos later down the road when she was still sick, or it showed in my other dogs stool and not hers. So home i go with more Flagil and a bunch of Panicur. So about 1-2 days after this second trip to the vet my other dog gets the shits, so i call the vet tell em and they give me the Panicur and Flagil. I treat him and the same his stools look better but still far from normal, and that is still being on the Flagil cant imagine when i take him off. I did think maybe she had some kinda blockage till my other dog started with the same symptoms. I gotta call and go to the vet again but i like going in with some ideas as they really have no idea and are just doing one test and then crossing something off the list and another test and crossing another thing off the list. At least being able to suggest a cause can really help sometimes.

2. pitbullkid86

pitbullkid86 Big Dog

My dog had this once before, two trips to the vet and nothing. I would fast for a day and then continue with the boiled rice and grounded chicken. Also, I used pepto-bismol about every 6 hours, it actually worked for the dog but once the shits stop gradually introduce the normal feed. Hope this works....The shits suck mannn

3. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

must be something in the water in mass as that is where i am from also. both my dogs got it now though so that leads me to believe its infection or bug or worm of some sort?

4. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

need some thoughts on this.... dog has been wormed with panacur for three days per weight and given flagil now for 20 days. Diarrhea improves on flagil but still not perfect stools and as soon as i stop the flagil comes back full force right away.

last time i was at the vet she wanted to do blood work to see if maybe something else was off in her body that affected her digestion and also wanted to sell me a a low res food of some sort that was more easy to break down. Being my other dog started showing the same exacty symptoms two weeks in to the first dogs treatment i tend to believe they both have something rather than i digestive problem of sorts?

5. crazy horse

crazy horse Big Dog

dont want to worry you but i lost my male stafford early this year to cancer of the lower intestine and the symptoms were exactly as you describe , tho the other dog being the same does point away from that :confused: hope it turns out ok

6. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Yeah that would make me worry a bit!!! Both dogs def have the same symptoms though at this point. Its weird when on the flagil her food seems to digest all the way and then as soon as she is off it the chicken digests but a good portion of the rice i feed comes out whole? Other dogs food digests but he gets the runs pretty bad off the flagil also.

Sorry to hear about your dog best wishes man!!!!

7. crazy horse

crazy horse Big Dog

cheers hope you get your dogs sorted soon , my dog blew up like a balloon but lost all muscle and fat just filled with gas :eek:

8. RandR

RandR Pup

this is a longshot but do you have any pinecones in the area? My dog did this last year 2x and it was 'fresh' pinecones, not opened the green ones.

9. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Yes but they are never tied out and i hand walk em on a leash like 3-4 hours a day 6 days a week 2 hours one day a week. I have been thinking although they are pretty much indoor dogs they spend tons of time in the woods and places where others take dogs and wild animals roam, they both love to sniff but i am very careful, non the less they get there nose in something once or twice a week they should not. But pinecones maybe but no that i notice, they both love to eat grass and my female that is always having stomach problems loves to eat grass and weeds in a bad way. its work keeping her mouth empty!!!

10. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

Man i got issues my other dog is sitting on the fron porch covered in new stock, i used a whole tuble to treat him twice:eek: Next time it is small dogs for me and ones from people i know well or well known parents with no health problems!! Going to vet Thursday and would love as much insight as possible as they really dont know what the fuck to say other than blood work and vet food :rolleyes: Not saying anything as its just like human doctors all just trial and error!

11. popper

popper CH Dog

had the same damn problem with one of mine. It went on while feeding raw, or itcould have been fromall the swimming we did , maybe cuaght a bug. But it would be straightliquid and would have to go lie 4 times day. Took to the vet , check stools , NOTHING. MAn the strange thing is ,anytime i gae antibiotics , the STOOL WOULD BE PERFECTLY NORMAL.. It was the craziest thing ever. I mean he would shit water all day , give a antibiotic that nightand nextmorning would be PERFECT POOP! Antibiotics and NORMAL STOOL. Finally i switched food and stopped giving raw chicken and the poo became perfectly fine . it was very annoying. went to the vet twice though and dropped a couple hundred and didnt tell me nothing. I always wondered if it was the raw chicken or some bugfrom swimming up in the pond. dunno man , very frustrating... i can honeslty feel your pain as it is a pian in the ass......

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2010
  12. popper

popper CH Dog

O yea ,how man times are they using the bathroom a day? Alot ?

13. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

I feel like i have had the same fucking problem with water and it sucks as my girl will swim all day if i let her and hates the mill. i hand walk her and run her min 2 hrs a day and most day 3-5 walk with 30 min running mixed in. So i almost never let her in the water.. i feel bad once and a while and it never seems to fail she gets sick... she was in the water in the weeks before this happened.

When the whole thing started about 4 weeks ago it was getting us up outa bed twice a night as she had to go suddenly and she hada go like right then!! During the day it was like 2-6 times a day. Now on flagil it is like 0-3 times a day max and and the same off flagil but all water and mud when she does go mostly once a day and thats off as she is a two poop a day girl!!! Its really driving me nuts as the vet has no answer i feed boiled chicken and rice and it just will not stop. I figure i gotta figure it out as it cant be healthy to have the shits 365/24/7!! I was also giving pecid with the flagil for a while and noticed no real dif? Being it is going on with both dogs and the other dog that is a but sniffer got it after the fact i figure they gotta have something? Man sometimes i think i need to just got to vet school. In a year or so i will be adding to my yard and plan to have as many dogs as i can handle and seems appropriate for me to enjoy and produce worthy dogs. I will also have farm animals. Pigs, goats, chickens, and plan on boarding horses to make a living on a grand scale. Obviously i will start with two new pups take it from there, and then add a goat or two figure that out then some chickens so forth and so on. I figure with the dogs and all the animals i am gonna have to learn to care for them myself though!!! Maybe i should got to vet school better yet just find a mentor as vet school is expensive and will take me 5 years as i never finish my bachelors.

14. popper

popper CH Dog

damn man , sounds the exact same asmine.. Mine LOVE to swim also , swim all day long. One time we wereout there for 3 hours and i know the swallowed tons of water. And sometime after thats when the shits hit. Would wake me up 3 , 4 in the morning ....liquid stool. During the day wouldnt be uncommon for3 to 4 bathroom runs. Vet ran stool test and dewormer and nothing. I gave some antibiotics and im telling ya , next day straight NORMAL Stool . i am intrested to see if it would work for you. What are you feeding? I switched to evo with some semi raw and stoolhas been greatever since ...no problems whatsoever...

15. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

I have played with this dogs food way more then one ever should. I did so though as she would either not take to a food and just have soft stools not he runs. I am so reluctant to switch her food as i cant imagine anything more bland than boiled chicken and rice. I gotta say i am thinking about it again. My girl pissed water on evo and it never got any better. Did good on raw chicken and beef only and well on Iams low res from the vet but that shit was expensive and garbage for the price!!!

I think i have some extra antibiotics Cephalexin so maybe i will give that a try.. i was thinking early on what if she got salmanella?

16. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

So i am gonna try and give some antibiotics to my girl and see if it help... I have some fairly new non expired stuff laying around.. i can go to the vet and get more if need be?

I need to know the dose acceptable for a 55-60 lb dog for Cephalexin and Clindamycin... i have 500 mg Cephalexin 15 pills total and 150 mg Clindamycin 6 pills total. Guess i need to know if i can give her 500 mg all at once per day or if that is to much at once or to little for a day?

17. JamesT

JamesT Top Dog

Try giving her some canned pumpkin,it will help firm up her stool.

18. popper

popper CH Dog

Give a half of pill.... i was giving metronidazole 250mg , but i cut in hald so 125 mg a dose. I was thiking salmonella also, but it was kind of tricky cause you gotta really narrow down the food to see whats going on. and sometimes the stool would be semi okay ( but nowhere near normal) and others it would be horrible) but i do know the antibiotics caused perfect stoool ... the vets were baffled... but now i ahve no problems... narrowed it down to either salmonella or something in the water when i was working them swimming... which they did swallow lots of water ... they would carry big sticks in the water while swimming... but one got loose stool and the other two did not soo i dunno... and like i said , i did go to the vet and get some stool samples

19. Mr. Brownstone

Mr. Brownstone Big Dog

unfortunately the pills i have are powder caps... how much does you dog weigh?

20. rallyracer

rallyracer CH Dog

stop throwing meds at the dog if you are taking it to the vet tommorrow

have them do a GI x-ray.

for now bland food- canned pumpkin ( 1/2 cup) brown rice ( 1 cup) and boiled chicken breast, diced...mix it all up together