1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

azium

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by alabama, Nov 3, 2009.

1. alabama

alabama Big Dog

Thanks for the info gorilla,if you know can you tell me how and what infection it lets into your dog.

You think so homer?? The swelling would start before the end of the hunt??

2. homer39

homer39 Banned

forgot to say allways use straight after hunt as well as pre hunt, if used right there will not be much swelling during hunt

3. peppapig

peppapig Banned

thats a fecking hell of alot of fluid your taking out of an exhausted dog.....if you do it before and after.......id be wary of that.....:(

4. peppapig

peppapig Banned

i still think its a hell of a risk though.......

5. alabama

alabama Big Dog

Cheers gorilla,how much would you dilute into an iv bag??would you do it that way or would you give dex followed by the bag etc??

6. alabama

alabama Big Dog

;) thanks for the info gorilla i know about skin popping a bag,a note i should add in case anyone else is following this ALWAYS heat the bag up to room temperature/maybe a bit warmer before putting fluid under the skin as could cause shock to the system.good to hear this for sure,how much dex would you suggest to use after??

Thanks for this info again invaluable actually....in return ill share with you via pm what i know about how much and when to use pre show if your interested.....

Bama:)

7. alabama

alabama Big Dog

;) thanks for the info gorilla i know about skin popping a bag,a note i should add in case anyone else is following this ALWAYS heat the bag up to room temperature/maybe a bit warmer before putting fluid under the skin as could cause shock to the system.good to hear this for sure,how much dex would you suggest to use after??

Thanks for this info again invaluable actually....in return ill share with you via pm what i know about how much and when to use pre show if your interested.....

Bama:)

8. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

There would be no need to warm the bag before you use. Do you want a hot shower after a long hard workout? Warming a bag would be benefitial is the dog fell into freezin water, but a dog in danger of overheating wouldn't benefit from a warm iv. Post hunt, giving an iv under the skin or sub-q, would be good for dog that did not take excessive damage, for those that went over the hour and a half mark with a good biter, a iv in the vein would be best. It will obsorb much faster than under the skin, a 1000ml iv bag in the vein will be absorbed in 30-60 minutes depending on the trip set being used, that same bag will take half a day at the fastest to absorb under the skin. The dosing will depend on the milligrams per cc that you have. Dex comes in 2mg and 4mg per cc, if I'm not mistaken it's a 104 mg for a 42 pound dog. ( I don't have my field book handy at the moment) but if you had a 2mg vial, you would have to inject 52cc of dex into the dog or into the iv bag. Most people that I deal with prefer a bolus of the drug followed by the iv drip. Just my 0.02.

9. alabama

alabama Big Dog

Purepit where i come from you DO need to warm the bag up as where i come from the temperature is very cold.my friend see a dog die because of the shock of the cold fluid going in.obviously its quicker into a vein but is easier said than done after an hour and half hunt.not an easy task i can assure you.thanks for your post purepit but i might be reading it wrong could you clarify if i was going to give dex as a jab into the muscle straight after followed by the bag how much in ml should i give??im guessing it varies for the weight of the dog so how much per 10lb of body weight??

You cant be serious with how much your suggesting to use!!

Learning alot from this thread thanks for the replies guys really useful info;)

10. alabama

alabama Big Dog

Purepit where i come from you DO need to warm the bag up as where i come from the temperature is very cold.my friend see a dog die because of the shock of the cold fluid going in.obviously its quicker into a vein but is easier said than done after an hour and half hunt.not an easy task i can assure you.thanks for your post purepit but i might be reading it wrong could you clarify if i was going to give dex as a jab into the muscle straight after followed by the bag how much in ml should i give??im guessing it varies for the weight of the dog so how much per 10lb of body weight??

You cant be serious with how much your suggesting to use!!

Learning alot from this thread thanks for the replies guys really useful info;)

11. general

general Big Dog

i have seen guys bang in 2ml of dex after a show, if it was my dog i would use half a bottle =50ml. works wonders for me.

12. PurePit19

PurePit19 CH Dog

The dosage for dex is 2.5mg per pound. So for every pound the dog weighs, he gets 2mg of dex. I got my field book now, for a 42lb dog would need 105mg of dex to effectively fight shock. With a 2mg strength vial of dex, you would need 52.5mls for a 42lb dog which will equal 105mgs of medication. For a 4mg strength vial of dex, a 42lb dog would need 26.25mls to equal 105mg of medication.
    From what I am told dex is best used under the skin or in the vein and should not be given if not absolutely needed.
    And you are right for heating up fluids when in the cold, I forget that you live over there. I understand now why some use it over there preshow.