1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Attention seeking barking and nipping

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by SpartanLady, Oct 26, 2012.

1. About 7 months ago my friend contacted me because she was unable to keep her dog at her apartment complex any more because the complex ruled the dog was too big. She was 6 months old when she came to live with me, and now she is just over a year old.

For the last seven months it has been a constant battle to get her to stop barking and nipping when she wants to play or wants attention. She has been spayed and she knows basic commands like sit, stay, come, shake, speak etc. However, she will not perform any of these commands unless she can see a treat, or if she just plain doesn't want to like when we are at the dog park.

The biggest problem is the attention seeking barking and especially the nipping. We have tried EVERYTHING. We've tried making her lay down for a while, she gets up and starts right back in. We've tried attention re-direction. We've tried keeping her leash on her and giving her a pull when she starts (it doesn't even phase her anymore). We've tried ignoring her. We've tried putting her in her crate for a 'time out.' Nothing works.

She's nipped me quite hard twice today, and I've about had enough. I have no idea what to do about it anymore. Advice?

2. lefty

lefty Pup

What kind of dog is she? It seems to me she is pretty stubborn and may think she's the boss. Anyhow just doweling from my experience some of my dogs learn from just simple no's and react more emotionally while the others need more hands on training. I have a pup tight now that is more of a family dog being inside more than out and likes to nip at the face when near it. It may seem crazy but after her doing it a few times and not listening to any kind of scolding I actually bit her back right on the cheek just long enough for her to feel it and not like it. Go figure that once she realized that would happen if she did that to me she has stopped doing it but still continues to do it my wife and daughter who won't do as I did. The moral of the story I guess is I needed to find something that the pup didn't like to teach her consequences to bad behaviors. Whether that may be a poke to the ribs or a slap to the ass it completely up to you but she needs to know her place in the family and no she's not the boss!! I also don't like to teach my dogs that they're crate is a form of punishment because I find it normally turns into a struggle getting them in there. All my dogs look at there crates as a peaceful getaway place and that's how I want it.

3. riotact

riotact Pup

Also, it may help to increase her exercise. If she is tired and content, she is less likely to act out when she wants attention

4. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

yes long walks and physical play keeps them more calm and relaxed. if that doesnt work try a hard right hook. no bullshit youd be suprised how it works.

5. Cyril22

Cyril22 Pup

Hi, I ahve the same problem but an 8 month old. I have now tried everything. I have tried ignoring but this is a big dog and even thou we stand say nothing, dont move an dignore the dog, it will move behind us , jump up and nip us. It can get quite painful and go on and on and on/ Any suggestion for bigger dogs with this probleM, or is the same tactic ( perhaps with a roll of bubble wrap) Thanks,

6. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

A foot in the ass always did the trick for me. Its something they learn earlier will not be tolerated.

7. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

good shit dream! i was just bout to say "easy, whoop her ass!" lol

8. TopBox

TopBox Top Dog

Sometimes a good firm hand from the start can stop them from that shit every time.... Sounds to me like its the boss over there. Dont beat the thing but a good solid tap and a strong NO at the same time should cure it.

9. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

yeah i dont mean literally put it in intensive care lol, but ill give em a good swat in the ass! i try to avoid striking in theyre face at all costs cuz i dont like hand shy dogs.....

10. capo

capo Big Dog

Spartanlady,lefty,Cyril, get rid of whatever it is you have and find yourself something else's to invest in.

11. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

They are scared of whats on your hand LWC....LMAOROTF hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Ok let me address this problem, first you must show the dog you are the pack leader , you must show the dog you are the dominant one but remain calm , use your fingers like a pinch to the dogs neck to show you are being dominant, I am not hurting the dog I am just being passive aggressive. LMAO

12. rroscoe

rroscoe Lightner Hemphill / Colby

you need a choker and go for a walk and comand your dog to do as you say not as it wishes keep a coolar on it if it jumps up grab the collar ause your palm near the wrist and hit the top of it's snout and say no bad dog be firm and I do mean hit it not tap it it has to learn from you what is right and what is wrong but you should walk it every day at least twice a day and od your commands no reward make the dog do it or use the choker til it does as you say Train your dog

13. D.Dogg

D.Dogg Big Dog

Alpha dogs need leaders.....if your dog isnt listening you are not a leader! Learn to be the leader. It takes a mental state of mind as well actions and knowledge. Good luck, but it starts with being the pack leader. Dogs dont want friends, they want a leader!

14. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Obviously your dog isn't in a calm submissive state, you must train yourself and rehabilitate the dog. You must become the pack leader

15. D.Dogg

D.Dogg Big Dog

To get started set limits for the dog, limits you control. Work on the dog respecting these limits you set. Work up from there.

16. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Put a cup of vinigar and a cup of water into a squirt bottle that has the jet setting, when the dog begins its nipping squirt the little prick in the nose. If this doesn't work get rid of the dog and be done with it as one day the dog may get over excited and take a piece of you off in it's excitement. So many people say that every dog can be rehabilitated which is true, some just need 100 grains more powder than others, there's no excuse for a person to keep a dog that bites.

NGK

17. Apex_Kia

Apex_Kia Pup

My adopted Bully mix was out of control when i first brought her home, for the first 2 years of her life she was part of back yard breeding and never played with or socialized. If a quick back hand is not your style, May i suggest an E-collar. If used properly it will fix any problem. She would kill my chickens, tear everything apart, jump the fence to chase cats, and all that other bad stuff an out of control dog does. A couple zaps and she was happy to leave the chickens, stay in the gates, and play with only what i said she could play with. With any Power breed exercise is important and key to balance and control. This is just advice.

18. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

I would quit taking her to the dog park.An APBT at the dog park could be a disaster,plus it's a filthy breeding ground for disease and parasites.

19. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

You need to cut the dog parks out ASAP or you will have an even bigger problem on your hands. These dogs have a long history of Dog Aggression and are not suited for dog parks. So you need to keep her away from the dog parks.

Another method to try is Bitter Apple spray dogs can't stand the taste of it and it's used to discourage excessive nipping and chewing. The problem is this should have been corrected a long time ago when the pup was small. So now you are going to have to work harder to correct this unwanted behavior. I will give you some more suggestions shortly and some good links to read.

20. Cyril22

Cyril22 Pup