1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Attack dog training.

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Aries, Oct 5, 2011.

1. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

Oh believe me, you can train a APBT to see every stranger as potential prey!
    What you end up with is a dog that you should never let unsupervised, always be in control of him and most of all be more than aware of every possible circumstances that could appear with visitors or people that are just passing by if you walk him!
    So finally you have more stress in supervising the dog than it will fit your needs in a pet! So if you like to train your dog that way you have to be aware to never be one moment unaware of what is going on arround you!
    About these natural protectors, well that´s just plain bullshit in most cases!
    So Aries, there are a lot of technical setups to protect your home, if you want a dog trained for personal protection choose a professional trainer that is highly recommended and has experience with APBT.
    So better think twice and don´t do it yourself!

2. bjh

bjh Pup

i have trained all of my dogs. i abhor everyones propensity for rushing to these said "professionals". professional simply means they earn money doing said thing. this in no way makes them the world authority on said profession. now i do not encourage using apbts for this kind of work but i would only advise against it in the case i was not confident in the training and/or handling abilities of the owner. i think apbts are among the most intelligent and loyal of all breeds of dog. my dogs make excellent guardians and i have no worries that we're going to add to the terrible reputation of our breed. or myself for that matter seeing as though if visually categorized you would most likely mistake me for one of the aforementioned "ghetto" dudes...smh...for the record ghetto dudes would be some comical jewish ranch hand dating from the times of concentration camps, but i digress...lol...i believe there are no bad dogs just dogs paired with the wrong owners. a responsible owner that can train and/or handle such an animal should be honored to be among the few. i am...the reason i won't get a guardian breed to do this job for me and my family is rather simple and self explanatory, i don't want to...i am a bulldogger...point blank period...i will own nothing else. if you disagree then congratulations i'm happy that you get to exprience the hard fought freedoms that are america...bjh

3. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

Firstly why have a APT for gaurd training when it should be instinct for your dog to stand by you if attacked & if you look at the breed in a whole its a freindly breed so why make it attack man ? that in my eyes is looking for trouble & in cases gone back where bull & terrier breeds have attacked man it has been the owner & dog who is punished , lets face it what chance has a kid got against an APB ( NO CHANCE ) so think again in what you are planning to do with your dog .
    Your dog should never be used as a weapon against no one as it should act in instinct , so think again before you loose your dog your freedom as it could all end up in tears .

4. odinslad

odinslad Big Dog

Listen to this man , or you will not only loss your dog but give the breed a name we are trying to change the bull & terrier breeds are the best out their not weapons as mentioned before .

5. Dogman#1

Dogman#1 Big Dog

Aries, listen to everyone on here...you can take your Pit and get it personal protection trained professionally for about 5K and your dog will most likely not be suited for it or you can get a decent Fila for 1k-2k and wait till it is 6mths to a year and you have a solid protection dog...too easy. always buy the proper equipment for the job dont get caught trying to make stuff work where it was not intended to.

6. picasso

picasso Big Dog

Sound advice but the more you know what you are talking the less people listen it seems. True as it comes!

7. apbt187

apbt187 Pup

your gonna get heaps on hippys on this... pitbull has a right to gaurd its yard like every other dog and they make great gaurd dogs join a gaurd dog fourm thats what i done that way u dont have to read everyone bitching about using a pit

8. My big mastiff used to bite me when I was fighting with people lol. Think he just thought it was a game or something. When people came to the door they knew he was their for sure. Now I have a wee staffy my only goal is to teach him to be nice and dont bite. He will know himself if the family is in trouble and the only thing we need to do is love him and feed him. Dogs are pack animals and should not need any training to protect you.

9. Dogman#1

Dogman#1 Big Dog

right, which is why we have protection training for canines...not all dogs protect on instinct and out of the ones that do many would not be effective.