1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

At what age is best to start training for weightpull, with weight?

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by RegalRedKennel, Jul 14, 2012.

1. I think that some people train to early with weight. I know some that start out at 12 wks. In my opinion that is way to early. I believe you can really mess up a pup doing that. Would love to know what others think about the age to start training with weight.

2. rob666

rob666 Pup

There are some very basic things you can do to develop your dog into a good puller. the first thing as with all training is understanding your dog, what drives it and understanding your own body language. I personally like to begin harness introduction at a very young age of 12-16 weeks. At this point we are not doing any more than putting the harness on playing with a tug just playing around and letting them wear it and get used to it being on. You can get small harnesses that go as small as a 12lb dog and will fit it up to about 30-33lbs. These are very inexpensive and are a great way to get going but do not work for older dogs being started unless they are a toy or miniature breed. You can also do this basic step if introducing a adult dog to his

3. WWII

WWII Banned

4. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

I'm not planning on adding more then 5-10 pounds of weight to my pup until after he is 12-15 months old. Waiting until his joints are fully developed and he isn't growing anymore to lessen the damage done to his joints. You can also place him on supplements for joints to keep them from wearing as bad.

5. if you plan on keeping the dog a while, what's the rush? wait a while, let the pup grow for a while, let it be a pup.

6. yerichoffpits

yerichoffpits Big Dog

Ill think that this depents from dog to dog? Had a litter over more than 4 years ago and they started pulling games at 12months? They did well the bitsh that was on my hands is a strong dog she was going over 50% body weight and finisht 5 in here category she still is a strong and solid dog off 17 à 18kg.
    Ill did not puched here to pull she loved it she leves with my wive's parents as petdog, sadly she is not at are yeard a real good dog with a will to please

so some dogs can start young and other will do it soem time later buth always ceep in mind you are dealing with a dog that will do it all for you even iff he is verry young you must guide him the whole way and lissen to the dogs body langush and don4t start to soon and start whit low weights.

7. This is plain ole scary-stupid. If you`re serious about competing with your pal, I would strongly suggest preventing damage, not just limiting it. If you won`t be content with waiting train your puppy in a possibly crippling fashion, why not get another, older dog? That way you can get involved with others who compete with their dogs and experience what you (and not your pup by the way) is looking for.

8. Lovepup

Lovepup Pup

Whats the point in damaging a competing dog for the sake of doing it? You have all the dogs life to train it to pull heavier weights. Let the dog get past the growing stage (usually about 9-12 months; depends on the dog) before you start adding heavy weights to it. Its not stupid, its playing smart. As said, whats the point in ruining a perfectly good dog by adding too much weight too soon?

Also some people don't want to start with an older dog. They don't have the same bonding experience training wise as they would starting from a pup. Juds WP Training harness just came in the other day. I plan on starting him walking in it next week. For now he wears it and gets treats for not trying to chew on it.

There is no rush. Take this as a learning experience. That is what I am doing. Rather I compete with Jud or not isn't important. The fact of learning to do things right is.

9. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I wouldn't touch weight heavier than the dog's body weight until you get the dog's hip and elbows x-rayed. Once you know the dog is healthy under the hood, you can start competition weight around 2 years of age.

10. There's some "Polly want a cracker" (parroting) going on in this thread lol. If you think I'm talking about you, well I'm probably talking about you hahaha I just love it when people who don't know shit from shineola about what they are typing hand out advice they have no clue if it's true or not!! LOL