1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Armstrongs doc holiday

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by ElJay, Jul 9, 2012.

1. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

anyone know anything about this dog or offspring he's produced?

2. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

i'm wanting to know because i have a pup off him and the damn thing is covered in demodex now....

3. Jim R

Jim R Banned

if i remember correctly, red mange is/can be hereditary.

4. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

5. Jim R

Jim R Banned

on paper, it looks like the possibilities are strongest from the Amstrongs or Mainlines dogs. good luck with him. try to boost his immune system.

i lil story for ya :)
    i have a "hobo dog" mutt that is 14 y/o. when he was 10 weeks old he acquired parvo. he stopped eating, diarrhea, the works towards the last days of a parvo pup... vet said he had no chance even with medication. he got the medication shots and i fed him milkbones and forced him to drink gatorade for 5 days straight. like i said he's 14 now and to this day the gamiest non apbt dog i've ever companion-ed. he will still go after any dog any size he sees. he's a REAL pain in my ass but to me he's the bees knees.

6. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

well i've got two half siblings of doc holiday and they've never had it nor produced it. so i'm thinking it has something to do with Gypsy Queen or most likely Raw Rita. very very frustrating. now i can't use the bitch in my program.

7. Jim R

Jim R Banned

it is, but for your goal it's a blessing and a notch on the experience to catch it early and be honest.

8. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Top Dog

The breeder is kinda local. If it tells you anything he advertises in the thrifty nickel.

9. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

yeah, she will be spayed and sent to a pet home if i can find one. she has the temperament to possibly make a good pet for someone.

10. Trying to pinpoint where it came from is impossible. As a matter of fact since Doc is 2x up close in the ped that kinda points more toward him not the females IMO. Again, justl like mine is a guess, so is yours.

Just because a puppy at that age has demodex doesn't mean you can't use it in your program. There's many things that can cause it at that age and to disqualify a puppy at that age is silly IMO. A slow developing immune system or the stress of moving to a new home, kibble change, can all bring it on in a young pup. ALL pups have the mites. It's just whether their immune system is strong enough to control and fight them off. Now if you rid the dog of the problem and later on it comes back, well that's another story. Or if it develops it as a young adult then for sure you're screwed IMO>

Good luck with the puppy.

11. I really think you're over reacting at this point. Again, JMO

12. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

she didn't get it until after we'd had her a while. and it's not localized, it's generalized. all over. and not responding to treatment. we're going to have to go with another treatment option already. she's had it for a while now and it's only gotten worse.

13. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

small spots of demodex that eventually clear up on their own do not bother me. because then i know it was only a short-lived immunity issue due to stress of some sort. if the immune system is strong enough to fight it off over a period of time, i have no issue with that. but if it continues to get worse and begins to cover the entire body, then that to me is a problem that reaches beyond just a simple stress factor.

14. Well that sux :(

15. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

yeah it does. because she is a beautiful little dog. such a shame

16. swiftersweeper

swiftersweeper Big Dog

how are you treating it eljaybee? i wouldn't count the pup out either. the pup may turn out to be good. . . i heard taking the offspring away from the mom as soon as they are born helps because the mites are passed with in the times they are nursing between days 1-3 if you do breed her later. it'll be alot of work though. the thing is if there are males in the litter they wouldnt pass it on. and you can breed it out really by breeding to a dog with a stronger immunity. any dips you are using? well, i only experienced localized mange and not generalized maybe upping the dose might help. when the pup gets under control with the dosage your doing for demodex i wouldnt stop giving the ivermectin if your using that until its a year old. id give the pup 1/10cc every 3days until it immunity is up and running after the generalized mange is managed so it doesnt relapse. . i wouldnt count her out yet either though if it was mine, but its your dog at the end of the day. hope she shows sighns of improvement soon.

17. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

Well currently we're using the vet's suggested treatment, metaflumizone (Promeris), but I say to hell with that. I'm gonna use Ivermectin now.

so should I just wait and see if she ever gets it again? like, wait until after a couple heat cycles to see if she breaks out again? i know that can trigger a relapse sometimes... i just want to do the most responsible thing. she's about to turn 6 months old. she's had it for over a month now with no improvement. she looks like a dalmation with all the missing hair spots, poor thing

18. swiftersweeper

swiftersweeper Big Dog

id switch products if i was you. id go with the recommended daily ivermectin 1% treatments. all i know is ivermectin and its been used over and over w/success. since its spread all over the body in your case id just keep the dog on the ivermectin till its a year of age just for security. i wouldnt give any off time on the treatments at all. after the demodex cleared up give 1/10cc 1-2 times a week. pick and choose. you may start it off with 2 times a week and when the pup is getting closer to a year bring it back to 1 time a week. this should hold the mites back. there also would be no reason to deworm while doing this with extra de wormers. ivermectin will hold off all the rest of the worms also except as im sure you know tapes. id keep the dog on it until a year. if after a year the dog gets it then there are some real problems with the dog. you should be using a dip too atleast once a week. taktic/mitaban/lime sulfur dips etc which ever.

19. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

alrighty, i'll give it a try and see what happens i reckon. thanks. and thanks to you too Boogie. i don't hold much hope, but we'll see....

20. Naustroms

Naustroms CH Dog

explains a lot... good luck with the mange