1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Are You a responsible Owner?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by SFK, Aug 10, 2005.

1. SFK

SFK Top Dog

I really hope no one take to much offense to this thread. I've noticed there are a lot more uneducated, first time, or Pet-Dog owners visiting the site nowadays. I'm curious to know how many of you actually know how to properly separate dogs that get in a kennel accident? Or get into incidents out in public. I'm asking because using a breaking stick is something that you should know how to do before you even get a bulldog. So are ya'll Responsible owners?

jankab and Vicki like this.
  2. jankab

jankab Top Dog

Yup... and if you have two people and no stick (which you should have) each person grabs the back feet of one of each of the dogs. The dog back feet are then picked up and with the legs up, both dogs are then pulled apart.

The two people need to start turning in a circle, or slowly swinging the dogs in a circle while they back away from the other dog. This stops the dog from curling back and biting the person holding their legs.

3. jankab

jankab Top Dog

4. PitbullLover

PitbullLover Big Dog

I have never had to use a breaking stick, but since I do have two males I have one, read up on it, and "pretend" to use one on my oldest. You insert it behind the canines and slowly twist to open the mouth wider. It is good have have two other people that have ahold of the dogs and can restrain them away from each other once the dog has released.

Vicki likes this.
  5. PitbullLover

PitbullLover Big Dog

That's one of the websites I went to Jankab. Good post!

6. jawbones

jawbones Top Dog

In defence of my family I will say this: Just this morning as my wife was getting ready to leave for work she came back in the house dirty. She was pretty aggrivated that no-one heard her yelling "dog fight." She quickly ran out to the dogs chain space and seperated the two dogs by herself. One dog is quite bigger than the other. My wife, who is a small framed, very well built, and did I mention beautiful, handled it quite well. :D Thankfully no dog or especially my wife was injured. The smaller dog has no teeth because he is quite old and the bigger dog had a hold on the smaller dogs collar. If we wouldn't have had a plan how to handle this type of incident it could have led to a bigger problem. If any of you are new to the breed you must take no chances. Always have a plan, always know where your parting stick or sticks are located, and always ask more and more questions on this forum if you are not sure. We have dogs with a very high prey drive because we hog hunt and this can at times lead to accidents. Some dogs may have a more docitile personality than others but, we should always be ready for anything at all times just in case.

P.S. I just love the edit button. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2005
  7. bam-bam's mom

bam-bam's mom Big Dog

ooooooo jawbones i'm callen and tellen her:D

no j/k wouldn't want you in the dog house tonight!!

8. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

lmao but of course...lol.

9. jawbones

jawbones Top Dog

oh gosh, I'm in trouble now. I'm going to go eat some dinner. I must be having low blood sugar or something....LMAO. My brain isn't thinking far enough ahead today.

10. bam-bam's mom

bam-bam's mom Big Dog

11. jankab

jankab Top Dog

Jawbones better utilize that edit button! LMAO!!

12. Defend2DaEnd

Defend2DaEnd CH Dog

I've never used a parting stick and the one time Halo and Snatch got into it over food we put a lighter in front of their noses. It worked but I wouldn't advice it. As for parting sticks the person I got the pup showed me one and told me how to use it. I hope I never have to use one but they are on my list, thanks to the breeder and you guys. I know I will need one having two Pits, both females. They are seperated when we leave the house and I plan to seperate them if they don't get along in the future. The pup is fine with other dogs, Halo growls at every dog. She is just getting old and grumpy. As far as responsible goes, I have been around this breed a lot, as many of my friends have them. I have seen pretty nasty dog fights and I've seen them split up (not all involved Pits, I did have 9 dogs at once (including a Dalmation, Chow mix, Sheltie mix, Lab/Border Collie, Rott/Pit, Pit mix, 2 German Shepherds and a German Shorthair Pointer). I know this breed is totally different than other breeds and I am learning to be responsible. I have also owned a Cocker Spaniel, Chihuahua (more viscous than any Pit), a dalmation/Pointer, a Great Pyrenees, a Doberman/Lab and a husky. I've seen my fair share of dog fights and I know that seperating those breeds was as easy as a bucket of water. But the breeder showed me that using a breakstick works easier when you put it behind their canines and pull back and twizt.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2005
  13. MoonStr80

MoonStr80 Pup

YES... I'm an respsonsible owner :) :D :)

14. MRS_FIFTY

MRS_FIFTY Guest

I am shocked at the lack of judgement that JAWBONES has used in this thread...........Very disapointed............tsk tsk;)

15. GaDog

GaDog Big Dog

Breaking sticks and alternate methods some of mentianed in here are preached to our adopters but you can tell it sails right over some of their heads. I will say that we say that all large breed owners need to know how to seperate so not to point directly at the Bull breeds.

16. misterdogman

misterdogman CH Dog

Its good you wont advise using a lighter like that again, it can severely burn your dogs nasal cavity and hurt their lungs also...it is not an effective method anyway it would never work on a determined dog...

17. miakoda

miakoda GRCH Dog

oooooo, you are so busted!

But on a more serious note, jawbones is right. Not only is having a break stick around the responsible thing to do, but you must also know where it is at all times (I prefer have more than just 2), but you must also know how to use them. I've seen a friend of mine stare at the break stick for so long then ask, "Why do you need a special kind of stick to beat 'em apart with?" I loaughed so hard I cried. But it's true. You, your spouse, or even your parents if you still live with them & have more than one dog, should know how to properly use one. Practice on your dog (NOTE:I'M NOT TELLING YOU TO PUT YOUR DOG IN A SITUATION IN WHICH YOU NEED TO USE ONE, just put the dog in a sit & go from there). And make sure that everyone knows where the break sticks are located.

18. SFK

SFK Top Dog

Good points Mia, & everybody else. I practice on my dogs all the time. Getting them off of hides & tugs. It's a good way to familiarize yourself with its use & It also makes you more comfortable in these situations. Also no offense jankab, grabbing the dogs by the back legs (or tail) is a good way to get accidentally bit. Especially if one of the dogs is'nt a bulldog. I prefer to take a good hold on the back of the neck so that I have control of their head.

19. jawbones

jawbones Top Dog

Whatever are you talking about? :D

20. DryCreek

DryCreek CH Dog

Yes I am a responsible owner....but, owning parting/breaking sticks is a sign of you know what...sigh.I have seperated dogs with and without sticks...yard accidents SUCK.Most important point...DON'T PANICK....keep your head about you. If only one dog is free,situate the chained dog at the end of his chain(no room to move)and work with the free dog.And be ready to move quick.I've done it alone after a swivel snapped,no fun for sure.

If your alone and two dogs are loose....what is the advice for this?