1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

are weighted collars bad?

Discussion in 'Sports & Activities' started by SugarPit, Nov 12, 2005.

1. SugarPit

SugarPit Pup

ive been having my dog wear a heavy chain link collar when we go on walks, she doesnt seem bothered by it. it doesnt bring her head down or anything but i was just wondering if this was bad for there neck or back?

2. rocksteady

rocksteady I'll drink to that..

how old is she? You might want to invest though in a weighted padded collar.. no, they are not bad if used properly and when the dog is old enough and done growing..

3. whiteyransom

whiteyransom Top Dog

if the dog is old enough, you can also by them a weighted pouch harness. just like a harness, but has weights on the left and right front shoulders/sides.

4. Sid Finster

Sid Finster Big Dog

My understanding is that a heavy chain is not good for the neck or back. A weighted collar is another matter, as long as the dog isn't wearing the collar all the time.

5. game_test

game_test Top Dog

you should use a 2 or 3 pound weighted collar, depending on the size of dog, and it should be used in keep, not just to make your dog tough by wearing it all the time because eventually it could harm the animal.