1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Are presa canarios good dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by David L, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Like a dog in bad hands !!!

Bullshit !

2. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Lol have you seen the iron bull dogs or j7 dogs ? Probably not since you are making such an idiotic statement.

3. PGC

PGC Pup

My brother owns a 5yo presa bitch 105-110lbs. She's very protective, extremely nasty if she doesnt know you and will try to take your head off if you get anywhere near anything she loves(his children or wife). She got into it with one of my 43lbs apbt bitches while chained on accident and did some chest damage so the willingness to "Go" is definately there. They are very rough animal who seem to want to scrap at the drop of a dime. Even as a pup she was animal aggressive , but shy towards people, which she grew out of as an adult. Not a fear biter at all. Bite just because she can. great for home protection. Their bark alone can send chill down your spine. Wayyy to big would never own one myself!

4. Their guardians but also it's a dominant breed . The perro de presa canario is a work dog and not a pet. The dogo canario , today, is a pet because the selection is for show and pet. It's a big difference between the breed registered in the FCI and the perro de presa canario from Curto .
    Also, the perro de presa canario is a really good dog with his owner and family...but careful with others dogs. You couldn't put a male alpha with another male. Some females, also, are hot females !
    You want a dog to protect your home, take one but don't write bullshits about this fantastic breed and not to compare with banddog or others shits !

5. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

its your money, mine i wouldnt spend it in expensive mongrels

6. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

Bullshit ![/QUOTE]

touchy? cause you got few dogo canarios, i mean presas. good luck with them.

7. I own both and dogo canario are sweety dogs . Perro de Presa canario are working dog and guardians but easy to educate and close to their family. Try to touch my son when he's with them...;)
    Mongrel ? Doy your register your own ped here man ?!!....I would like to know your bloodlines before start to speak with you...;)
    You write bullshit without any knowledge of the breed.

8. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

some things are better left alone but since you insist. half of my ancestry is from Telde, Gran Canaria and they had these dogs before they were even famous in the 60's for their fighting abilities, before curto moved to tenerife from mainland, before curto and bethancourt miraculously saved the breed collecting few dogs left from farmers in the 70's, lol and started offering to the public, before the breed was available to show stopper kennels in middlesex new jersey usa late 80's early 90's, redstar kennels, pride rock kennels, etc..

my greatgandad and grandad were involved in these dogs even before any of these breeders were even born, back when when they were just a cross of majorero, bull terrier bull dog and whatever else breed the foreigners brought with them to the islands (then my dad and i were into the breed). the breed was mainly used for ganado bravo, something that later dissapeared when people werent so interested in cattle. british breeds were sought after and people would breed to them when they were given a chance.

dude, the pics on the dog atlas are my cousin's dog a dog that weighed 78 lbs and the book claims he is around 120, presas were never that big until people introduced mastiff, neo, etc. still now they are raising them but he will tell you they arent presas, they are crosses!

there's more involved to the rescuing of these dogs in the 70's i wont get into, because it isnt relevant and i just dont care to share

its your money, mine i wouldnt spend it in a breed i could re-create and better or replace without spending so much

9. I know Canary Island history...I'm from Spain ! Thanks for the lesson.
    I'm agree with you ABOUT dogo because it's easy to find some others breed 10/15 years ago on some spanish pedigree.
    About Curto, he selects dogs for work and not for standard. The breed is fixed since years and all dogs are UKC registered.
    You told mongrel because it's a recent breed, right ?
    I think it's the same way for a lot of breed or all of them.
    Each breed exist and was created for humans and to serve humans...some are older than others but you can tell mongrels for a great breed.
    Do you know, also, the stories/tales about the older perro de presa canario who lived in Canary mountain with an old old farmer and who was used to fixe the breed ?
    Like you, I like little mongrels like staffordshire bull terrier... ;)

10. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

They were always mongrels to begin with and will
    Always be. The real presa dogmen aren't pitching sales presentations for their
    Dogs. Yeah the fci changed the name and standard to turn these working breed types into docile show dogs. But there are people out there working hard to make the breed survive. The mastiff and bulldog all came from
    The same stock so what's the point in discussing outcrossing as a negative. Every modern breed we have now for the most part is reconstruction or has changed through time as breeders and fanciers changed their mind on their beloved breed standard. Look at what the boxer used to be and it was morPhed into a bad type.

There are many backyard breeders and show breeders marketing the presa in bad light but there are other men that really care, I think it's unfair to make that general judgement.

Ps I just got this book and it has awesome info on the history of
    The Presa.

[​IMG]

11. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

I really like these Presa if you ask me, they look like field dogs unlike the other types that look like butcher's dogs.

[​IMG]

12. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

dude you dont know what to say anymore! every breed is a mongrel except for the wolf and only God knows but that's not the point. i've had probably dogs from different breeds some could only see in books and hear stories. i prefer owning a working mongrel like the sbt and not an expensive and too heavy dog that will give up on you when times get tough.

i assume your from the peninsula, i got news for you: being from Spain doesnt mean squat when it comes to knowing this breed or having money doesnt buy you knowledge. many came to the canary islands from mainland in the 70's and now they know and have better presas than the locals, lol.

you dont have to come here and act like you got the answers, just be honest with yourself about the dogs that you own, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

here's a little working american bulldog i had, a hunting full but wouldnt bite a sleeve even if you shot him in the head
    eros 5.jpg

13. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

meant to say fool not full

14. ...I told you since start the thread...1 point !

sbt are inexpensive ?... In Europe, sbt are the same price than dogo canario ( around $1800 ). For sure, you can meet inexpensive mongrels...from breed mix !!...You don't know the breed. Best working stock are from Holland or South Africa and they're really expensive. 1 point !

That's why a lot of dogo canario breeders from USA or overseas, come in Spaib or Canary to purchase new dogs and bring new bloodlines ( Sanders Kennels start with CanMuç bloodlines...and it's the worst breeder ! ). Please, don't tell tales !

...I think you're right...for you !!

Where did you read dogo canario or presa are hunt dogs ????

I think you're wrong ...for all points
    It's enought for me...

15. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

dude your english comprehension sucks ^ read back my posts

16. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

you see david what i'm telling you is from 1st hand experience and not from videos, or books

17. David L

David L Pup

so from what I'm reading you can't find a real presa in the U.S

18. No gracias....;)

19. davidfitness83

davidfitness83 Top Dog

Books recorded history, how can you deny the validity of it? I don't disagree at all that the Presa is a crossed dog but if you look back you will see that most of these war/baiting breeds share a common ancestor and that they were all crosses within each other. Look at the beloved APBT, it originated the same way..

I believe in what historians try to tell you because they have no product to market or any monetary benefit for them. The Presa, Alano, Cao De Bou, Presa de Malloquin they all spawned out of the same working mongrel used in the old days. Everyone had a different opinion on what they liked for their use and crossed to their like. Just like our society does now. Look at the eforts of the De La Arena or J7 with their dogs, I don't even think they will sell a dog to the public. Like I said before there is crap everywhere but if you look deep enough you will find good dogs and good people.

20. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

yes they are a crossed breed to begin with, but presas were crossed with more mediocre breeds than superior breeds since the 70's, the years few claim the breed was rescued from some intact specimens found deep in the mountains and other places of in the C. Islands, owned by old farmers and such. what bothers me the most is the dogs of today people call presas, dogs so deformed and so obviously show mastiff and neo influence, but worst of all dogs that couldnt hold a bull or a wild boar for 5 minutes, or even the desire to make the catch.