1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Are pitbulls good at catching rats?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by pitbull-kid, May 20, 2012.

1. smithy

smithy Big Dog

Nice pics AGK.

2. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

lol I live 4 minutes from downtown. We got coyotes, deer, groundhogs, turkeys, coons, possums, skunks and tons of ferel cats just wandering around all within city limits. lol. The city I live in has a small population of 122,000 + people but the county it's in has alot of wildlife and is pretty big and tons of acrage of woods. They seem to make their way to the city to eat and get into peoples trash.

The grass rat with the raptor broadhead in her face was shot out my 2nd story bedroom window. Roughly a 20 yard shot. The one thats about to be ate by one of my dogs is the one I shots offspring. The dogs have killed 4 out 6 of her offspring. I got about a 30lb male that was her mate. I'll get him in the spring.... lol

3. smithy

smithy Big Dog

If I lived there I'd never go inside I'd spend all my time out hunting thosee little buggers lmao

4. CaliPits

CaliPits Pup

It took my two APBTs and me lifting couches an tables for them to catch a feeder rat for my snake. Haha. Awesome part about it was they didnt even kill it. My female was able to pin it with her paws. I guess because Ive always trained them not to chase/killcats rodents ect. But they were so excited and into it, it was awesome!

It did take us twenty mintues. Id imagine wild rodents would be even more difficult.

5. babedulce

babedulce Big Dog

My experience is that wild rodents in a relatively open field have been the easiest, with those in thick brush being the hardest, and those in house being the most labor intensive for humans, LOL.

here are a couple pics of my bitch has caught in the house.
    http://www.game-dog.com/showthread.php?t=62233
    I guess groundhogs would be what she usually catches outside in the fields and squirels in the woods which have been her gretest challenge, she enjoys shaking those things to death.

6. coach

coach Big Dog

so true JRT are relentless....I have been around a few just dead game JRTs very cool dogs.you think a "house" JRT can be crazy...a properly handled game JRT are just down right cool dogs.

7. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I got my Jack Russells in a nice kennel set up 6ft chain link fence prob 50 by 50 i forget..But they run the yard lol the bulldogs feed off thier energy so yeah my yard is loud as hell most of the time..They do settle down at night time which is good.But man they keep shhit stirred up all day.

8. CaliPits

CaliPits Pup

Nice!!! I guess if my dogs had more vermin/practice theyd be better.

These dogs Natural Speed Strength & Intelegince and all around Physique would make them great rat catchers.

Wanna good laugh?

Imagine a 125 pound "Bullie" trying to catch a rat.

Hahaha

9. CR!SIS

CR!SIS Banned

10. CaliPits- I would truly love to see an American Bully trying to catch a rat. It would be exhausted before it could get to it. IF it has any prey drive at all to do anything besides pant and eat dog chow. LOL!!