1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Are pitbulls good at catching rats?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by pitbull-kid, May 20, 2012.

1. You want to borrow my Rat Terrier? She can turn swiftly and sharply, but the only thing about ratties.....when they are on to something, they have this ear-piercing scream. You would swear someone is getting murdered. Lol!! She has strong prey drive and won't stop until whatever it is, is caught and killed. She's no useless show dog.
    Or you can get a cat, some mouse traps and an exterminator.

2. coach

coach Big Dog

This is so true...mine has caught birds in flight! unless your terrier is out of shape...its gonna get what it wants...they live for that shit

3. determination

determination Big Dog

Do you have hard wood floors or tiles i now my dog doesn't get good tracksion on those surfaces like a 632 big block chevy with three stage system on wet pavement lol

4. bootsbjj

bootsbjj Banned

The wife and I were watching TV one night and our male starts barking in the kitchen. I go in there to see what's going on and he, our female, and our cat are standing there looking at a rat. The rat is standing there looking at the dogs and cat like he knows something they don't. The dogs look at me and I tell them, "Don't just stand there", so the female runs over, grabs the rat, and shakes the hell out of it. I had to put her outside because she wouldn't give up the rat. lol

First post, hello everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2012
  5. SacRedboyOwner

SacRedboyOwner Top Dog

My 9 month old Mayday pup just caught one two nights ago. We have never had problems with rats so I was surprised to find him tearing into that rat..

6. my hammonds dog will catch'em up. shes about the weirdest thing I ever saw in my life!

7. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

This has been a bad year in my area for mice.Its the worse i have saw in a long time.If u see one in your house you better do something right away and dont wait lol..If your dog cant get him u better do it yourself.These little critters cause all sorts of havoc.I use poison hate to do it but its the most effective way i have found since I cant keep cats.

8. smithy

smithy Big Dog

Jrt best ratting dogs out there

9. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

they r very very good..i dont let mine in the house ,they will chew a whole in a door or cabinet to get to one..lol or mine will

10. smithy

smithy Big Dog

Lol same here no special feed at all outside all year round fed on table food most of mine live to be 12 to 14

11. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

When i first moved to my place i built the jack russells a nice pen.Thier was a family of hawks living in the area and I am guessing they had been feeding on small dogs as part of thier diet.So when they saw my jack russells they thought food,heard some noise one morning and one had tried to get one of my dogs.The jack russell quickly killed it and they never tried again.So i guess all the small dogs they came across in the past were not Terriers.But yeah they will kill anything thier size and smaller and some things a little bigger.Far as feed I am feeding everybody Diamond right now but have always been worried about the recalls.

12. jacko

jacko CH Dog

13. smithy

smithy Big Dog

Yep he was 75percent terrier the rest bulldog wasn't he?

14. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

Lot of people dont know that about a hawk they will kill and eat small dogs and cats.I got 6 to 8 hawks that live here and I got one thats solid white or looks solid white ,i dont know if he is albino or what i never saw him close up..I dont own them r feed they just live here.I sit on the front porch in the evening and watch them hunt.They pretty good mice and rat killers to.

15. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

16. jacko

jacko CH Dog

i got sparrowhawks living close to me. they take doves, pigeons, young jackdoors. etc i love sparrowhawks, i dont like them taking my favourite summer visitor - the swift. though i sure would be pleased to see them on a cat . i wonder how that would pan out ?

17. smithy

smithy Big Dog

I'd say that's the end of the sparrowhawk lol abit to small to take a cat

18. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

I never saw it with my own eyes.But i have heard from older folks that they can and will take a cat.

19. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

Sometimes a grass rat (Groundhog as they are really know as) will wisen up and learn that my dogs cant reach them beyond a certian area. Thats when I take over. lol We call it Wack-a-Mole ;)

[​IMG]

Other times they get caught slippin...

[​IMG]

20. bamaman

bamaman GRCH Dog

lol...AGK i believe it to about them wising up with the chain spots..Mice r some of the smartest lil critters i have saw..I hate a mouse and kill all I can .Thier is alot of farming goes on where I live thats my problem.