1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Are blue dogs truely non-game?

Discussion in 'APBT History' started by purplepig, Jun 22, 2006.

1. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Looking at all the controversy of the blue dogs, I stumbled across this article and wanted to share it. This is about a blue dog named, "Barney".

I was speaking to a man the other day an he had traced allot of these "Bully" blue dogs pedigrees and he found that allot of them came from allot of Colby in the background. I was told this, I did not research this, just so you know.
    Looking at some of the web sites of these dogs, it kinda looks to me like the pictures have been stretched wide, what you think?

http://www.richardfstratton.com/goinglightbarneyandbluedogs.htm

Jay

2. jessiepbg

jessiepbg Big Dog

Not sure, but don't many Pit Bulls trace back to Colby? I heard somewhere that even Razor's Edge could be traced back there. Also, Blue is a naturally occuring coloring in the APBT. That can be a problem as the diluting gene that turns a black into a blue can cause other defects. The reason I believe many people don't like blue dogs is that irresponsible breeders have been overbreeding these dogs and they have become a fad. With this fad, there have come many unstable dogs that show the aggressive traits that have caused the public's general distaste for Pit Bulls. A blue dog can be game, but its existance in the line makes it possible for the genetic defects to occur farther down in the breeding.

3. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

4. runt

runt Big Dog

most trace back to colby,look at the eli stuff,go all the way back to tudor,look at the old family bloodline,cottons bullet,as a matter of fact almost every bloodline has colby in it;and the reason people don't like the blues is because they were being bred for color not for gameness.

5. runt

runt Big Dog

alot of the blood is the old Ruffian line which was game bred,same with watchdog the old was game bred,with the eli stuff on the bottom,if the breeding program was breeding for the right reasons I see know reason why it wouldn't work.

6. 14rock

14rock GRCH Dog

Theres so much controversy over the Turpins "winners" I wont even go there. Run a search, and see for yourself how much of a "gamedog" he was.

7. ABK

ABK Rest In Peace

It would be unwise to judge any dog based on color alone. There have been blue game dogs, but they were (& still are) few & far in between. In fact, Barney was NOT a blue dog. He was actually black brindle. R. Stratton just put the blue info at the end of the Barney article as an afterthought.

As for blue, it is actually a mutation & is caused by a gene in the Dilute (D) series. There are 2 genes in this series, the dominant Dense & the recessive dilute. Dense allows for the formation of black pigment, while dilute prohibits the formation of black pigment.

Dilute is not a color gene but is instead considered a modifyer b/c it "modifies" a color that has already been deretmined by genes at other locations. If dilute acts on red, the dog will be red/rednosed. If dilute acts of chocolate the dog will be blue fawn & if dilute acts on black the dog will be blue. (Remember, dilute will not allow the formation of black pigment!)

As for what blues go back to, almost all pit bulls go back to Colby dogs, to include blues. But this doesn't mean the dog is any good. Heck, one of the greatest pit dogs around was Tudor's Black Jack & the tightest Black Jack line around is an AKC show line!

Hope this helps! ;)

8. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

I had always heard that that Turpins dog was fake. and also Barney was not a blue dog.