1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

apbt vs bull terrier

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by makaz24, Jun 4, 2011.

1. jacko

jacko CH Dog

in your words what excactly is a "gull terr" cliffdog ?

2. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

As far as I know (I am not certain because I have only been able to find one source of info) the Gull Terr is a descendant of the Bull Terrier which was continuously worked and appropriately bred/culled while the EBT was being deformed and ruined by kennel clubs in the UK and USA.

3. visiongee

visiongee Banned

Im not sure this is a pretty big one yeh my bull terrier needed a lil bacon you know how we do. the truck could not pull the hog home so I ended
    up just strapping it to my dogs and they pulled it home doooooont hate lol
    hogzilla.jpg
    and im sure they will do what they have to
    if the time ever arises because they love humans
    http://youtu.be/He5GuHB0L1s
    lol
    Even after they f his leg up he still would have gone
    back in poor guys neither dog looked competition ready
    sad to see that's all them dogs are good for.
    Hope you guys have a great day I am taking the dogs out for some
    fun in the California sun.

4. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

I guess you could test gameness with a boar if you cut your dog's front paws off. If he continued to go after the boar with no front paws then he is game. If he stops than he is a cur. I have heard that is how they tested some dogs back in the days of bull baiting. Otherwise there is really no comparison.

5. AGame

AGame CH Dog

it is as close to a game test as you are legally going to find

6. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Unfortunately, yes. All I'm saying is that it isn't a game test. It IS the closest thing legally though (in most countries).

7. damon

damon Banned

Now that would be a stupid thing to do wouldn't it

8. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Not to the people who used to do it I suppose... dog doesn't need front paws to breed, lol.

9. jacko

jacko CH Dog

if i"m not mistaken it was a butcher who bred bulldogs who whilst one of his dogs was latched onto a bulls head, he sawed off 1 or 2 of its feet to prove how tenacious his stock was , a waste of a good dog if you ask me !

10. visiongee

visiongee Banned

You would have to be pretty shady to have to do that to prove your point dont you think.
    If you trust the dog man and he is a stand up guy you would never have to do that
    all that proves to me is that he doesn't value his dogs as much as most.
    What a desperate thing to do.

11. AGame

AGame CH Dog

Agreed but there were some crazy sob's back in the day that did not care what they had to do to prove their point i cannot remember the name of the movie but there was a thread about the movie he fought dogs to try to get money for his childrens child support or something along those lines and there was a man that cut his dog all the way down his back to prove a point that he was not a cur if someone could please think of the name of that movie i need to redownload it

12. visiongee

visiongee Banned

I could care less for your opinion you are entitled to it, to me its just trashy just like fake ass cops.
    Im sure you know all about that. The mutts prolly sucked that why he used a bull and not a game dog.
    Most APBT could probably do the same when pain registers in a APBT it releases end orphans that numb the dog
    that's also why some dogs could get addicted to fighting even their eyes dilate the genetic makeup of the dog
    not game. Sh humans can cut their own limbs off and continue to survive is that game no its survival. Its a f bull with horns who cares
    if they cut off the limbs he still wants to survive. The guy was sick in the cabeza IMO period last post on this thread
    dont want your stupidity shutting this one down too lol

13. BAU

BAU Pup

I think the movie was Walker Payne.

14. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

yep, thats it

15. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

Hi there!

As I do own both breeds let me tell you what my experiences are!

The Bullterrier is a show dog. He was created to compete at shows by James Hinks.
    He is bred down from fighting dogs crossed into other breeds to get an attractive sportive showdog back then.
    He was never used on a professional level for dogfighting and as a showdog never selected for fighting purposes.
    Even that bullshit story of James Hinks Puss beating easily an old type gamedog and have been able to win at a conformation show the other day was pure sell out bullshit put out by his grandson 60 years later.

But over here in germany and austria the Bullterrier has a long tradition as a rock hard working dog!
    He was mainly used as schutzhund and for boarhunting.
    Just google for people like Emil Hauck or Rudolf Sewerin that put the hardest selection on these dogs!
    Hell they even have been the oppinion to sort out all puppies that show any bad signs of a litter and just end up with two dogs within the first ten months, if they proved themselves to be hard steady and rock hard they are allowed to survive (Hauck!).
    Germany and Austria getting more into conformation from the early 60´s on but still up until the mid 90´s there has been the Bullterrierverein e. V. under Rudolf Sewerin that has been breeding for he Ultimate Working Dog!
    Pardon but most APBT and Am Staff didn´t pass the tests put upon these dogs (Candy Pokal etc.).
    So there have been extremly good dogs out there in germany.
    I don´t state that they have been game dogs but they have been rough enough to take even an honest APBT away in short order.
    I have seen this happening in 1995. I sold an extremely fast and powerfull white female to a friend of mine and adviced him to never let her get into any contact with foreign dogs as she will kill everything that is on four legs.
    This was a very small female about 19 kilogramm.
    Dumb as the guy I sold her to was he took her out for a walk along with a guy from his neighbourhood that had a very solid APBT female at about two years sooner or later they heated up because of dogtalking and the guy was bullshitting his Bullterrier female.
    So he told him to get his bitch and go away as he was near to punch this guy because of the shit he said about his female.
    Guess what happens if two idiots meet.
    The guy turned his APBT female loose and send her into that leashed Bullterrier female.
    As I got to know it was all over quick the Bullterrier killed that poor dog within two minutes!
    Later on this guy even suited him and the judge granted it!
    As a matter of consequence he had to pay this guy another dog and his Bullterrier has to be confined with a muzzle!
    Common sense and the law are just two separate things.
    This is no story this was how it happened!
    I knew both of these guys.
    So you see you never can state 100 % if it comes down to a fight who will be victorious at the end.

But the majority of Bullterriers are easy going pet and show dogs that are able to defend themselves properly aswell as have the ability to be a good working dog if kept in proper condition.
    I do love them as they are easy to be arround and are energetic and outgoing.

Now about the APBT, he is what youa sk him to be!
    An oversized showdog a good working dog or a decent game dog.
    You can choose what fits best to you and either get a dog from show stock, working stock or game stock.
    It depends on your needs and if you are selecting your pup properly you have a good chance to end up with what you are looking for.

They do have their good and bad things and both are wonderfull breeds in their own right that everyone could be happy to live with.

But if I were a dogfighter and I had to choose I´d go with a gamebred APBT as the records are speaking for themselves.
    As I´m just into wokring dogs I have the luck to choose from both breeds as I please.

16. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

I would chose a Bull Terrier as a working dog if they still looked like this:
    [​IMG]

Do they look more like that (the working lines) in Germany, Doginhold? All the ones I see are just thick, heavy, slow, and with that weird head, but here in the US I don't know of any being used as working dogs, or from working bloodlines.

17. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

Up until the early 60´s the pretty much looked like them with slightly more downface and a little more bully.
    The dogs from today could be seen on www.bullterrierverein.npage.de if I wrote the link correctly.
    Don´t get fooled by the massive writing on that page but within the long text there are the pictures of some of these dogs.
    So just scroll and search trough that page (it´s in german).
    Today the look like a lighter and better conditioned version of the showdogs with not overdone downfaces.
    They have been pretty good but because all that BSL over here it was difficult to keep the breed going in germany.
    There are some ocassions that we can make litters from time to time but the breed is now very very rare and the working lines are almost extinct.

18. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

You best hit the button BV und AC there are some other buttons poping up then check them, there you´ll see a lot!
    Also Walad and Nadir is interesting!

19. cliffdog

cliffdog Top Dog

Thanks for the link, very interesting. :)

20. doginhold

doginhold Top Dog

Your welcome but this just scratches the surface!