1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Apbt/ bulldog

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by viegas703, Feb 15, 2010.

1. oldtymer

oldtymer Top Dog

A bit of history now , here in the uk there was never an earl of tudor. Henry VII was born in wales the son of edmund tudor first earl of richmond and his mother was lady margaret beaufort . Henry was born in the middle 1400's . When henry VII came to the throne the royal family was then known as the house of tudor, the tudors ruled as kings and queens of england from the late 1400's starting with henry VII and ending with queen elizabeth I in the early 1600's After elizabeth died. The next house to rule was the house of stewart.
    ;)

2. As I understand it from the writing the man who was known as the Earl of Tudor at the time Queen Catherine was in power was named Edmund Meredydd who was not of royal blood. He supposedly had an affair out of wedlock and without royal consent with Queen Catherine. The letter goes on to say that at the time he was considered the head of the House of Tudor and his relationship with Queen Catherine produced 5 sovereigns.
    Anyway, that drawing is from that era of time in history and is a drawing of an original bulldog. As one can see, the original bulldog is pretty much the same dog that we have today.
    There are two schools of thought about the origins of the breed. One is that the breed comes from a cross breeding of 2 or more different breeds of dogs and the other is that its origins are pure from the original bulldog. I personally believe the second theory, that it is the original bulldog evolved into what we have today.

This is how I believe the the breed has evolved into todays dogs, although I understand it to be very controversial.

Around the year 60 A.D. there were dogs bred in Rome called Cat-Dogs, and Bear-Dogs. These dogs were used by the Romans in the arenas to combat against bears and lions for the peoples entertainment. When Rome invaded England, the different families of the Roman Cat and Bear Dogs were imported to that country by the soldiers and were then bred by the people of Britain into what became known as the English Bulldog, a dog that is now extinct that was used to combat bulls. The different families of these dogs were then bred into pure families of Bulldogs by the English and Irish people that became known as the English Staffordshire Terriers and the Irish Staffordshire Terriers. Around the year 1600, the Roman-English people that emmigrated to the English Colonies arrived on the shores of the state of Virginia with their different families of English Bulldogs. These were bred together to create what was known as the American Bulldog. At the same time in the north-eastern part of the Colonies, those who emmigrated to New York brought with them their different families of English and Irish Staffordshire Terriers. One of the most influential people to import these families of dogs was Charlie "Cockney" Lloyd. These families of English and Irish Staffordshire Terriers were then bred together to create the American Staffordshire Terriers (not the modern day AST but the old fighting staffs). These different families of the American Bulldogs and the American Staffordshire Terriers were bred together and in the 1900's the American Bull Terrier also known as the American Bull and Terrier was created. During the 1970's these dogs became known as the modern day American Pit Bull Terrier and they are the dogs we know today. It is worthy to note that these dogs have remained practically unchanged during their trajectory to the present day. They were created by pure families by crossing them together and then bred pure of each family again to obtain what is today the American Gamedog.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2010
  3. junkyard

junkyard CH Dog

my dogs are bulldogs and they always have been.

4. catchw8

catchw8 Big Dog

downsouth thats what all the older ppl call them my mom calls them that an she aint no dog woman alot of ppl that dont even have them call them bulldogs its just another name for apbt.