1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone raise chickens?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by St. Ides, Mar 16, 2014.

1. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

Same here. I have 3 roosters (had more) that get along just fine. But, recently it seems like they've been facing off. So, this Friday I am butchering 2 of them and making coq au vin and frying their gizzards, liver, and hearts. I'll make stock from the rest of the innards, carcass, and feet.

No sense in wasting ammo on them. Grab their tail feathers, hold them out, and stuff them into a killing cone or chop the head off.

2. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

Do they make any noise when you cut their head off? I'd hate to get the people called on me for cutting chickens heads off in the backyard.

3. bushwick

bushwick Big Dog

Easiest way to harvest one is putting a crowbar or metal rod on their neck, stepping on both sides then pulling up on their feet till the head comes off.
    I don't wast time plucking, I pull the skin off while their bodies are still warm.

4. treezpitz

Thanks BW, I knew that's how you PTS a rabbit before you harvest it but didn't know about chickens.

5. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

ill just hack the heads off with tree loppers....

6. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Big Dog

We use to just ring their necks with a quick flick of the wrist or just pop their heads through chicken wire n ring then that way.

7. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Big Dog

Ps.... Post more pics!

8. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

[video=youtube;NAJh9ehtTmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAJh9ehtTmA[/video]

9. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

[video=youtube;lIbm3oU6tW4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIbm3oU6tW4&src_vid=NAJh9ehtTmA&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_458293[/video]

10. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

[​IMG]

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

11. bushwick

bushwick Big Dog

Just got these a couple days ago

[​IMG]

12. bushwick

bushwick Big Dog

Pair of Arsenal Black Hennies

[​IMG]

13. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

It's not illegal to kill them. Lol. I cut the jugular and let them bleed out. They don't make any noise.

14. treezpitz

Thanks Ides, I didn't know the legalities of it at all.

15. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

do you guys "dub" your birds?

16. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

Just something like this. WARNING: May not be suitable for young children.
    Rhode Island Red:
    [video=youtube_share;yBI20fUTsPI]http://youtu.be/yBI20fUTsPI[/video]

17. Mudville_Monsta

Mudville_Monsta Top Dog

Unfortunately it all depends on where you live. I've seen people ticketed and even taken to jail for doing so. Here you HAVE to be in COUNTY limits in order to slaughter any animals. They were also trying to make a permit process and some other things trying to site health codes, but they didn't pass. Way to many are losing their roots and forgetting that grocery stores only sell us food, they really don't supply it. LOL

18. treezpitz

^^^I have a feeling it's probably like that where I live also.

19. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

i doubt it... it dont really get much more american than texas.... if you cant slaughter livestock in TX then WERE ALL IN TROUBLE! lol

20. treezpitz

lol I feel ya but I got city rules, I'm not in the country......yet.