1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone raise chickens?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by St. Ides, Mar 16, 2014.

1. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

Anyone have a flock? I have egg layers and meat birds. Rhode Island Reds, Buff Orpingtons, ISA Browns, Welsummers, and Cornish X. I'm looking to add in some Easter Eggers, some Polish breeds for the wife, and some turkeys, I wouldn't mind a couple bantams for lawn decor. Been having a problem with predators since my dogs are gone:(.

Here are my brooders. This March hasn't been nice to us in terms of weather.
    Left bin are Cornish X @ ~4 weeks old. Right bin are Buff Orpingtons and RIRs @ ~4 weeks old. Top left rubber bin are a couple birds I picked up tonight; Cornish X and Welsummers.
    [​IMG]

Because of predators, I'm missing about half my flock now. I'm about to take 1-2 roosters to the crock pot pretty soon. The one right in the middle is a black silkie my cousin gave me. It last a whole day before I found its carcass behind the coop.
    [​IMG]

And this is the set up I had in the house of the chicks before I moved them out to the coop.
    [​IMG]

2. bushwick

bushwick Big Dog

I raise Gamefowl, I haven't lost one bird to a four legged predator since I put all my dogs in a perimeter surrounding my property, nothing can get in without a being seen. I can hear packs of Coyote's on the outskirts on my land but they wont come in. Hawks and birds of prey are my only issue but they usually only go for the little ones.

3. bushwick

bushwick Big Dog

4. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

My friend's family in the Philippines raise Sweater/Lemons. I'd like to get some game fowl at some point.

5. treezpitz

treezpitz CH Dog Staff Member

I know quite a few people that have game fowl down here also, it's real popular with the Mexicans. I'd like to get into raising chickens/rabbits for my dog food when I have more room to do so.

6. bushwick

bushwick Big Dog

My dogs eat a lot of chickens. Guts, feathers and all, also eat a lot of eggs.

Sent from my M97 using Tapatalk

7. treezpitz

They eat game fowl? I'd assume there is no difference, I'm just not educated on birds.

8. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

Never had game fowl, but imagine it's "edible". Nothing like a Cornish x, but probably best as a stew.

9. treezpitz

I've thought alot about raising them here lately but I've heard where I live you can't have roosters so that wouldn't help me on my chicken for dog food, just for eggs. I really want to get into it though, just need more space. Ides, have you been doing it for awhile or just getting started?

10. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

I've got some friends with game fowl, doesn't take a lot of space. Now with you living where you do im sure you're short on space, but I know guys that have 20-30 birds in a space you prob couldn't put two dogs comfortably.

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

11. treezpitz

Yea, not alot of free space, not for chickens anyway, maybe another dog or two. Personally, I'd just go for the domestic chickens (if that's what they're called) so it would be easier to house them. I don't want them for anything other than dog food.

12. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Even hens of gamefowl can be housed together. The roosters are what have to be kept separate. Most guys who have gamefowl that keep hens separate do it to be able to tell which hens produce the best gamecocks. Even the "domestic" roosters have to be kept separate as far as a I know. My great grandma always had chickens and she had a coup for every rooster with about 8-10 hens each

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

13. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

i may be mistaken...but i believe you have to process cornish birds by a certain age or they become immobile?? not sure on the facts but ive had more than one person tell me that.....

as far as my collection goes, we have egg layers...... 2 roosters (GL Wyondotte, & a hybrid bantam), 2 RI Reds, 2 Buff Orpingtons,1 bantam d'uccle, 1 bantam americauna/copper maran cross, 2 gold sexlinks, 2 naked neck turkens, and a bunch of others i have no clue the breed... oh yeah and four ducks....

14. david63

david63 CH Dog

Those are some nice looking gamefowl bushwick. I love my game birds to when I get a chance I'm going to get me some more.

15. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Laced, do you keep your roosters separate?

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

16. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

Yeah. Normally between 6-8 weeks. Due to their eating, they can and will eat themselves to death. Heart attacks, high blood pressure, strokes, broken legs, etc.

17. feastodg

feastodg Big Dog

Get some guineafowl, they're ugly and noisy but they will keep predators away.

18. CajunBoulette

CajunBoulette CH Dog

Lmao my neibhors had some of those loud ugly fuxkers

Sincerely Yours, Cajun

19. St. Ides

St. Ides Big Dog

I think my 12g is quieter!

20. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Nope they get along ok.... ones a bantam and the other is close to 10 lbs so im sure domination is established.... the big boy is a straight ASSHOLE! He attacks me any chance he gets yet hell leave my girl alone.... thinkin bout puttin the 22 to his head and havin a chicken pickin!