1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone here own a Rhodesian Ridgeback?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by BarbaraClark, May 19, 2012.

1. Recently acquired one and wanted to know what the overall GD consensus is of them. Any experience with them?

2. babedulce

babedulce Big Dog

When I was a little kid I was fascinated by the backwards hairs, later in life I found out the were originally bred to hunt lions in Rhodesia hence the name. No experience with them but the history of the breed speaks for itself.

3. jacko

jacko CH Dog

an old mate of mine had 2 african imports. they were very good at guarding . they could also run all day.

4. Haha, Jacko I take mine on a 3 mile run on my bike daily and he STILL wants to go. He's got prey drive like crazy, too. And he's mildly reactive with other dogs. He's a firecracker and a sweetheart rolled into one, I love him. Lol.

5. Noa1

Noa1 Big Dog

I have had one and they are very nice dogs, the one i had was crazy about food and was eating everything also iron packaging material. Heard from someone they have a lock on the fridge.
    But very nice to kids, protective to the owners and home. The postmen did not came on the saterday........

6. jacko

jacko CH Dog

what i did notice was that although they would fight with another dog it seemed to be more of a dominance thing.
    when they are worked on lions and stuff they are in packs .
    nice dogs though if you have the room to let them do their thing.

7. jacko

jacko CH Dog

please don"t get me wrong, he or we never purposefully fought them,lol tis just that we sometimes took his dogs and my stafford on long walks and the odd skirmish broke out. nothing we couldn"t handle,lol

8. Herodog1

Herodog1 Top Dog

A couple we know have two ridgeback doberman Xs, they are massive, my little staff hates them. lol

9. back2basics

back2basics Big Dog

First words that come to mind are canine spina bifida.

10. jacko

jacko CH Dog

that"l be the
    that"l be the ridgw then . lmao

11. Haha yeah, he has only attacked a dog once, it was in protection of me. The rest was dominance, and the other times he was lunging at the end of the leash and I wasnt going to let go to find out lol.