1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone else's dog stubborn when it comes to being outside and comming in ?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by semo, May 19, 2007.

1. semo

semo Top Dog

i have noticed that when i let fritz outside from being inside quite often he wants to run around outside, especially if there are people outside etc, i can call him till my face turns blue and he just dont wanna come until HE is ready etc. gets pretty frustrating.

any thoughts ?

2. DED_GAME

DED_GAME Pup

you posted earlier about making a bell to put on him to know where he is...then this post..little advice, keep him on a leash when outside. unless you have a fenced in backyard where he cannot get out nor run way do yourself the favor and keep him contained. the fustration you have now calling him is nothing compared to what could happen if he runs off chasing something or hit by a car etc....

3. laurajean

laurajean Top Dog

Ded_game is right. Apparently your dog is not trained and letting Fritz run around in public unleashed is not responsible on your part. Apart from him possibly getting in a dog fight, he might get hit by a car, which believe me is a horrifying experience for you and , of course , for the dog. Keep him on a leash....then you don't have to call him, you can reel him in anytime you want and he will be under your control.
    The minor inconvenience to the dog of being kept on a leash...at ALL times...is nothing compared to the horrors that can happen to an unleashed dog.

4. semo

semo Top Dog

well you both really dont know my situation, i live on a 150 acre farm with a 7 acre lake in front of it. As well as being on a private gravel road, over a mile from the highway. and the only reason that I cannot see him is due to the trees / leaves sometimes.

i mean literally i can run around naked on my property with no worries.

it isnt like i am some irresponsible owner in the city begging for my dog to get hit by a car or attack someones dog.

the only dogs running around on my property are strays and that is rarely ..

i actually take offense to you assuming some things.

...the kind of comments you all gave reminds me of a certain other pitbull forum where there are a bunch of assumptions and people trying to sway others to their beliefs, i strongly recommend that you dont assume that everyone a. is an irresponsible owner, and b. lives in a city etc

most likely part of fritz' problem is his beautiful HUGE yard that he has to play around. and before you make more assumptions , when he is outside he has "people" like me or my family trying to keep an eye on him. When nobody is around to watch he is either crated or in a kennel.

The bell is purely an aid.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2007
  5. semo

semo Top Dog

[​IMG]
    is just one shot of some of the area fritz has to play.

6. semo

semo Top Dog

7. binker

binker Big Dog

Your property is beautiful so is you dog I wish I had that much propery for my dogs.

8. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Semo, not everybody is going to know the whole story, so you can't get offended when people call it like they see it. I honestly agree with keeping him on a longline or something to that effect. He's a puppy, not a well-trained adult. And by calling him till you are blue in the face while he runs around and does as he likes, all you're teaching him is that he doesn't have to come when you call.

9. dogged

dogged Big Dog

Semo, it's was impossible to tell from your first post weather or not you live far out in the country or in the city. Either way...your property is stunning.

Many dogs forget the recall because people tend to say it over and over and over without reward or consequence when the dog doesn't comply. So the word loses its "power."

I'd get a pack of hotdogs, cut them up really small and keep them with me. At first, your dog may need to know you have them to get him coming to you but you can phase them out and treat intermittently after he knows the command. Call him over, give him a little treat and then let him loose to run again. Rinse, lather, repeat. Don't let the dog know you intend to bring him inside every time you call him or he won't come. Of course they'd rather stay outside! ;)

10. semo

semo Top Dog

you are right, they might not know the whole story, but that doesnt mean it is right to assume anything about where and how a dog lives.

imho a long line would be silly to have him on when i have such a big area and people are there to supervise.

granted, i probably do need to work on his recall, but on the other hand he doesnt run off that far and when there is any kind of risk he is leashed etc.

any more and a person wouldnt understand what it is like to live in the country etc

11. pittychick

pittychick Big Dog

Good Advice

12. semo

semo Top Dog

i will try bribing him w/ some sort of high value reward as such

13. dogged

dogged Big Dog

I wouldn't go so far as to call it a bribe. He's got to have a reason to want to come to you. He's probably learned that coming to you ends the fun (weather he goes on a tether or inside). He would much rather run through the woods, play in the lake or play with the people outside.

You want to teach him that coming to you is not only rewarding, but that the fun won't end when he gets to you. You can phase out the treats after the foundation work. Be consistant with your recall command!!

Good luck!

14. CrazyK9

CrazyK9 Top Dog

A good trick in working on the recall is running away from the dog. Turn it into a game so he is chasing you and not the other way around lol.

Have you ever thought about maybe an invisible fence? Normally I hate the things but in the area you're in, it sounds like it might be useful in keeping him from wondering too far away.

Hope the bell works for you. Good luck.

15. DED_GAME

DED_GAME Pup

its not a matter of us assuming, it was you not communitcating properly...your first posts says "especially if there are people outside etc," well in the country theirs not alot of people outside. so since I didn't know your circumstances I based it on your information...

the more you call and he dosent respond then the less effect it has...it means you need to do more training. What worked for calypso was a long rope, very long, 25 ft long you can get at any hardware store...while outside let him wander and smell and enjoy outside, as soon he gets a little away from you call him back ONCE..if he dosent respond give a little tug to real him in, once he starts making his way towards you let him come to you on his own then give him a treat. the hotdog was a great idea...gradually allow hit to go farther and farther as long as he is getting it, till he can turn around on a dime at 25 ft. it takes time but I personally know it works.

good luck

ps. nice yard

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2007
  16. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

JMO, but I don't think its silly at all to keep him on a longline until he's learned some basic obedience. The country may not have the dangers that the city has, but that doesn't mean there aren't things that could harm him. I've learned enough to use precaution first, no matter how silly it seems at the moment.

One reason for the longline. If you give a command you aren't in a position to enforce, the dog will learn that compliance is optional. With a longline, when you call him, you can reel him in to you and then treat. Encouraging him to come to you by running away or offering a treat are both good techniques, but there will come a time when he would rather investigate a smell or whatnot, in which case it helps to have a 25-50ft "handle" to grab on. That's my advice. I may not know the country, but I know a little bit about dog training. Just a bit. :)

17. chloesredboy

chloesredboy CH Dog

Dumb dogs!mine used to do that when they're in the backyard playing.If I act like I'm going in they damn near run over each other to try and come in with me.However if I'm just calling them in they think its fun not to come and play run away.He probably does think its some sort of game,just work on basic commands,pup's get a little over excited sometimes.It didnt take my dogs too long to realize that they didnt want me to come get them.

18. semo

semo Top Dog

well if you dont know much about living in the country on a big farm, you need to realize that a long line / electric dog barrier is not really a serious option. because I are talking about bringing the dog over a very huge area as you are doing things. I bring my dog everywhere on the farm. I aint gonna leave him "tied" to a small area etc.

Next I can see that you are "fairly" new to the forum. Some advice...when someone you dont know is posting something and they have a "reasonable" amount of posts "as i do", you might wanna browse their post history and get an idea about them. I feel that if you would of done this , you probably would of realized fairly quick that I don't live in the city etc etc.

I don't expect all "city folk" to understand but a dogs life is much different out here. Fritz enjoys a few extra freedoms that "most" city dogs might not enjoy.

in my post history you might see that Fritz was / is very stubborn when it comes to being pulled on a leash, and trying to tug him on a leash is a lost cause. He has a certain personality to where I would be doing more harm than good trying to "reel" him in... that said...he knows where his front yard is, and is VERY cautious and smart about new things, and listens very well in those situations.

Everyone has their own opinions and ways of raising THEIR dog, and I respect that. I am making sure of a few key things though...My dog isn't gonna be one of the stories you hear about in the media ~ biting someone, because when it isnt family or a close friend that he knows he is normally either crated or kenneled *even though he is a very well mannered dog etc*

as far as animals / snakes etc he is gonna encounter them as dogs do in the wild and I will not walk on egg shells waiting for that to happen.

he is still a pup and learning, as someone stated he has probably learned that coming at certain times is ussually the end of funtime.

19. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

You really should use quotes if you're going to get personal like that, because for a second I thought you were talking to me. I was about to say that I've been on the forum longer than you, and remember back when you were first looking for a dog.

Let's be real. Should everybody be expected to browse everybody else's old posts when responding to a question? If you feel that where you live and how your pup responded in the past to a leash makes that big of a difference to the answer, maybe you should say so when you're soliciting advice? This is a good-sized board. Its not really feasible to suggest that everybody needs to read up the history behind a person before they answer the question as it is originally stated. If I were to ask advice on teaching my dog scent discrimination, would it be fair to expect everyone to go back and read my 1600-someodd posts to see what other training I've done? It would probably just make more sense to come right out and say the things which directly apply to the situation.

DED_GAME likes this.
  20. semo

semo Top Dog

'

... it is one thing if a person wants to try to help...but I really don't appriciate it when people assume the worst and start criticizing me because of assumptions etc. Ok , so we can be real and say it isnt feasible for someone to read all the posts, but on the other hand, they have nothing to base such opinions on and i feel that it is very wrong to just start making assumptions about me. The way the thread started out I took the first couple of posts as personal attacks with no basis.