1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Any thoughts on Rottweilers

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Scratchy, May 18, 2009.

1. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

In dogs the females protect family and ,Males protect property is the way I've always view them guard dog types what ever breed! not to say either do just the one but i find the that is most often their natural instinct!;) JMO

2. CLKENNELS

CLKENNELS Top Dog

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease don't trust your APBT TO get along with any other dog little or small...I know some of them do but I wouldn't expect it

3. my father has owned and loved the breed for about 11 years now and in my experience through him they all have different attitudes. he's had sum that were wonderful property protection dogs, and sum that werent worth 2 nickels, and sum that only liked him and ACTED like it want to take a chunk of AZZ out of the rest of the family. so i think it depends on the individual dog, but to me they're worthless, cus if i need protection my 45 auto does quite well, lol

4. gh32

gh32 CH Dog

If you like them,get one.Same as with anything else,feed whatever you want.Personally,I've never met one I ever liked,but whatever your into I guess.They may be expensive somewhere,but in my town half the meth heads around here have a rott,so there pretty inexpensive for the most part here.As far as the dogs getting along,if you have a good APBT I wouldn't trust him to get along with other dogs.

5. moonshine

moonshine Pup

Its already been said but I will chime in.Good Rottweilers are good but there is a lot of crap out there,If you have the contacts and can get one from Germany you might be in luck.Problem with them is they are very dominant and dont like hard correction and have been known to bite the handler.The real hard ones are just that and that is what they refer to as the German temperament and that is why the germans wouldnt just sell the good ones to anyone and also why they used to top the list and you know what list I mean.Try soemthing closer to home that you can see.Get yourself an American Bulldog from proven protection trained stock.They have the size,the ability,the athleticism and they are home grown.

Oh forgot to ad I have had a few none very good but you get what you pay for.I kept having to go to my neighbours to get one particular dog back after the bastard had penned all their cattle in the corner and wouldnt let them move.lol

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2009
  6. PREACHER

PREACHER Big Dog

I am going out on a limb. For protection get a CHOW aint nobody getting in and maybe nobody getting out.:eek::eek:

7. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

Get a gold Fish!

8. ben brockton

ben brockton CH Dog

i think you should go to a rottweiler fourm & ask these questions ? IMO forget a APBT you are acting real green & heading for trouble .

9. Buck E. Owens

Buck E. Owens Banned

i would be like getting in to a shitz sue discussion in a rottweiler forum!:confused:

10. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

If I were being robbed I'd rather have this: [​IMG] Cause dogs ain't bullet proof and neither are robbers :D
    But seriously though, I love Rottwielers. And not those so thick they can barely move, much less guard/protect anything Rottwielers, those kinds that can be athletic and loyal members of the family. I had a Rott mix and he was one of the most loyal dogs I ever owned. Saved me from getting bit open by a Chow. And I happen to like Chows too, but if you know that your dog is batshitzania bonkers, you don't let it run around. At night. With no leash

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2009
  11. SMOKIN HEMI

SMOKIN HEMI CH Dog

Kutter your signature is disturbing!!! Lol

12. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

Haha, I love it. I'm not replacing till I can make/find a better one

13. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

i had an apbt that would drive himself crazy trying to get off to get the rottie i had. they are not friends. i wouldn't suggest leaving 2 dogs alone together anyway, unless they were like poodles or something. they could be cool their whole life and then one day something changes. trust me, that day will come when you happen to not be at home.

14. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

My thoughts on rotties are, they're too big, slobber all over the place in the summer months (constantly look like they swallowed a shoe and still have the laces hanging out), Most of them are stubborn or just plain not smart, shit huge piles all year long, and talk about feed burners, they'll eat you out of house and home if you let them and they're plagued with health problems, but they are good gaurd dogs, usually. My god-mother has bred and raised them for about 23 years now so I grew up around them, My first ABPT at 3 months old and about 18lbs. made her 110lb female squeel horrifically when he latched onto her face over her bone. lol that was a interesting sight afterward she wanted nothing to do with him and concieded her bone.........

15. KuttersKru

KuttersKru Top Dog

Really? Mine didn't eat all that much, and he was a big old boy (105 pounds). I think that just like the APBT, they've fallen victim to fad hunters and the AKC standard bastardry that's destroyed quite a few breeds and it's gotten to the point where most people don't even know what they're really supposed to be like anymore

16. prpitdawg

prpitdawg Top Dog

my other halfs dad breeds english mastiffs. we were going to get one from his last breeding but decided not to. his male is 15 months old and weighs 195lb his female is about 180. they still have alot of growing to do. if we was going to get a big dog it would be one of those or a gaint alaskan malamute. a friend of ours that gets dogs from us has one and those thing freakin huge. this is boss @ 15 months
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Rojas

Rojas Big Dog

Rottweilers are ok if you just want a deterrent, most bad guyz will look at them and think twice before doing something, but know this, most dogs that are supposed to be "protection breed" will not bite when the shit hits the fan, or if they do bite, you better train them the OFF comand, or you will have a law suit in your hands. IF you want any dog to actually protect you and your loved ones, it has to be trained to do so, dont believe in that natural protection instincts garbage. Good luck.

18. mich_tidw

mich_tidw Pup

I have never owned a rottweiler but some neighbors years ago had 2 and I was scared of them. They acted like they'd love get out and bite me everytime I had to walk past their apartment door.

I now have pitbulls and I am happy with them. They really make quite a load noise if they think someone is coming in uninvited I'd really be surprised if someone made the mistake of breaking in. I don't think it would go well for them. They might get past one but probably not the all of them.

I added a Neapolitan Mastiff 2 years ago to my pack and she most definitely is very protective naturally - 120 lbs - guards me when the others are usually guarding the door. Much more athletic and fast than you'd expect a dog her size to be. She jumped over a fullsize piano and the couch once (they sit back to back) without touching either just to reach me with a treat in my hand.

19. AGame

AGame CH Dog

when i was just a child my father owned a rott mix and a chow chow that ran together here on the farm i can say that no one could come in or out of this place without a bite in the ass and i mean no one they were good around us kids and around the folks they knew but now that i look back and think about them if we had neighbors then like we do now on the farm my father would have had a many a lawsuit on his hands i will give them the fact they both are great guard dogs a lil to people aggressive for my liking though

20. Lee D

Lee D CH Dog

agreed 100% Ben, but yall know im a gun nut:D...if i wanted a watchdog that might give me time to get to a firearm, id get a Doberman. we had a bunch of em, so im biased