1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

any takers

Discussion in 'Staffordshire Bull Terriers' started by 12 gauge, Jun 2, 2011.

1. norseman

norseman Big Dog

Why not just have them hip scored before they are bred, save yourself the troubles....around the age of 15to18 months is a good time.

2. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

norseman, i dont think staffords that live 14 + years of healthy life, pain free, no limping, or lameness after hrs of hard work and still with a desire to hunt, needs xray in my opinion. are we xraying marathon runners to see if they have right bone aligment now? and their parents? or other athlets? as an example!
    if you breed shitty dogs, you will get shitty dogs man. and even worse if it is done for generations of showline, because all they care is about the damn ped looking good and having a lot of show "CH" titles and that's all, they dont look beyond that, even if the dog is garbage (sired by 2 champs) you get me?

a dog that cant breathe for just walking up and down a showring shouldnt be bred at any cost, but people still do it. that's when you get such dogs we are debating about.

i dont breed showshit or the likes to be worrying about lameness. I have a 7 years old male that jumps anything that needs to be jumped, hunts for hours, he had never sired a sick pup and i have never seen him feel miserable from hard work, tell me why should i xray him?

3. norseman

norseman Big Dog

12 gauge

I do see your point and it is a good one.... BUT not everybody uses their dog the way you do.... accually very few do... whatabout them???? What is your opinion.... and dont just say they shouldn't breed dogs.... because they will.

Could you show us afew pic of the dog you mentioned....not that I have X-ray vision....LOL, just curious to have a look.

4. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

the stafford should be bred with a purpose, in the past they were pitdogs or hunting dogs. we can only do one now unless you like prison food. should other people breed for show alone? my answer is a concrete no. shows are ruining this breed and others. my answer to those ignorants is the way i breed my dogs, they alone, proof the stafford to be a better breed than what they are raising and feeding. i'll always breed for a stafford with the past temperament and tenacity and not an obsolete breed good for nothing. they not only shouldnt breed dogs just for breeding, they must not. you see showring ribbons and trophies are for human satisfaction "only". now, take a dog hunting if he does it is because he/she enjoys it. I can guarantee you, you can put a bullet in a dogs head without desire to do a job before you force him to.

there's more pics of him around, you are free to look if so you wish
    Pictures 269.jpg

5. There will always be flukes in joint issues but one party v the other party claiming OFA ratings shouldn't be a hard to research fact. Luxating patellas are common in most every small breed, it's to bad to see bad hips as well.

The little staff I have right now is out of hogdog breedings but I honestly can't imagine him on a hog, he's a pretty soft dog when it comes down to it. I do plan, if I keep him, to run him in flyball.

6. norseman

norseman Big Dog

Many Staffords are handler soft but come action they are a far cry form soft... keeping in mind he has mutured.... 1.5-2yrs. He mayjust interrupt a flyball session the Stafford way....LOL

In a litter there will always be variations no matter what the parents did...

7. norseman

norseman Big Dog

12 Guage... I agree with you but keep in mind the US still has alot of untamed land where one can hunt a vast vairiety of game. I am of the understanding that in the UK its pretty over crowded and you can only hunt rats with a dog.... and there are other breeds that do this quite well. So people look to other ways of proving their stock, A-fram, weight pulling, luring and so on and a set of hip scores may also be good in this case.

I like the picture.... how did you get him up there? must have been some effort huh?...... JUST KIDDING!...LOL.... nice shot, how about a close up. WHat are his stats?, show us the bitch as well.

8. blanch

blanch Big Dog

The UK is very over crowded but there is still quite a lot of land you can run a dog,especially up north and you may only go equipped to hunt rats and rabbits on land you have permission,but as long as you comply with the animal welfare act and dont encourage your dog,accidents happen and theres nothing anyone can do.

but photograph/film these accidents and then try to convince a judge...

9. He is about 1.5 already, we'll see if he sparks though. I've honestly only had him around my house for the last 3 weeks so there is a grace period. He's a fun and cool dog but I'm so used to my bullheaded apbt and malinois that this guys softness takes a minute for me to get used to.

10. ultimathule

ultimathule Big Dog

Yeah,I had one of those accidents,shame really;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. switty

switty Pup

love your staffs feller

12. blanch

blanch Big Dog

i really like that picture,its funny showing it to the jocks who say fen dogs wouldnt have the initial burst of speed to live up there.

13. ultimathule

ultimathule Big Dog

Blanch I'm up in the Scottish islands,and was really quite surprised at how close they were to the hare when they came back into sight.

They must have been right on top of it from the start and put pressure on it. Brown hare I'm sure is a more capable athlete but to say we are on high rough ground I think a lot of dogs would have struggled to do what they did:)

14. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

dogs look very good L. i suppose they've earned the meal of the day.

15. jack the lad

jack the lad Big Dog

graet pic's,I love to see the dogs doing a bit no matter what it is.:rolleyes:And the scotts say the running dogs down south would not catch up there:tdogwalk2:

16. blanch

blanch Big Dog

oh yeah,no doubt that's very impressive for a staff,but even the slowest of lurchers would still be a far better runner imo

17. ultimathule

ultimathule Big Dog

No doubting that Blanch,thats what they were bred to do,staffs weren't:)

18. switty

switty Pup

why do my posts keep getting deleted

19. norseman

norseman Big Dog

Are you using the F-word ? ? ? ? :dogstare:

20. 12 gauge

12 gauge CH Dog

he does like to jump and i dont think he needs much help getting where he wants to be:
    http://youtu.be/2CVAyvH2QQI

[​IMG]