1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

any one have good hide curing tips

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by allaboutpitbull, Sep 5, 2012.

1. allaboutpitbull

allaboutpitbull Big Dog

im going to a party this week end and they are gana have a goat i asked them for the hide anyone have good hide curing tips i was told just to use table salt and roll it up .sounded good to me any one ever do things different how long before I can let the dogs play with it thanks in advance

2. Use rock salt and don't roll it up lol. Having a place to leave it lay out flat is best.

The goat hide isn't going to be much good for the dogs. It's about like deer hide. Will tear very fast cuz it's much thinner than beef hide. IMO it won't be worth the hassle of curing it, but that's just me. :)

3. allaboutpitbull

allaboutpitbull Big Dog

Hey boogie thanks for the advise ahhhhhhhhh man that sucks I thought I hit a lick with the goat hide I might just try it just for the experience lol can you tell me the step by step exactly how to do it thanks bud I really appreciate it

4. Lay it out, completely cover it with rock salt, leave it sit. How long it takes to cure will depend on the humidity. I'm sure the goat hide will cure faster than beef hide since it's thinner. Beef can take 3 weeks easy. Cut it when it's still a little raw so it's not so hard and leave it sit for a couple days after that. A lot easier than trying to cut it later IMO.

5. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

IMO Wild Boar hide is the best and toughest hides around.

Rock salt and sun pretty simple, depending on how thick or big a piece will determine the time for cure.

I also bleach the hides with clorox to kill any unwanted germs.

I think RGB has some hides for sale JOKE LMAO.

6. allaboutpitbull

allaboutpitbull Big Dog

ok cool thanks guys im give it a shot see how it goes lol how will i know when its ready is their something to look for color smell etc.

7. TripleJ

TripleJ CH Dog

You need to use Hide curing salt it is food grade and will not eat the hide They say rock salt will ruin it But so does a bulldog. We take and lay hair side down on a good slab above ground spread over the whole hide the curing salt the more sun it stays in the better if any of the hide does not have salt on it and kept in the sun, You will get Rot and fly babies all over it, keep it out of the rain and scrape as much of the flesh off thats it. and when the dog gets it all slimy and stinky you know its a good one. We use bull and boar hide the one thing I dont like is when the dog ingest so much hair the shit looks like coyote turds.

8. allaboutpitbull

allaboutpitbull Big Dog

Cure 1.jpg

To preserve small animal pelts leading totanning and finishing. In this Instructable I'm using to excellent FoxSquirrels shot Thanksgiving morning. Some pictures may be graphic:
    Materials:
    " Sharp knife
    " Large flat working surface such as an old work
    bench or a sheet of plywood
    " Non-iodized salt

note:

This will not make the pelt soft like tanning, only preserve it in a pliablestate.

Step1Go for the head

Cure 2.jpg
    Cure 3.jpg

If you decided to keepthe head on, slowly work back the skin with your knife. Be careful not to cutinto the hide or you may cause an unsightly gash in your pelt. As a reference,separate the silver skin from the hide. When you get past the eyes, cut aroundthe check muscles then you can pull the rest off.<o:p></o>

Step2Go for the tail

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shape style="width: 443.25pt; height: 332.25pt; visibility: visible; mso-wrap-style: square;" id="Picture_x0020_13" type="#_x0000_t75" o:button="t" href="http://cdn.instructables.com/FTT/DDTO/1NTEUSZOAEM/FTTDDTO1NTEUSZOAEM.LARGE.jpg" alt="Description: DSC02956.JPG" o:spid="_x0000_i1030"> <v:fill o:detectmouseclick="t"> </v:fill></v:shape>

Cure 4.jpg

Cure 5.jpg

The tail can betricky, depending on the size of the squirrel (unless its a nice Ohiosquirrel). Split the tail as far down as you can, slowly working out the tailbone/muscle as you go. Once you get to a reasonable spot, snap it off.

Step3Strech the hide

Next, use a staple gunto tack the hide down. Try to keep the staples on the very edge of the hide.<o:p></o>

Step4Salt the hide to properly dry

Add a good amount of non-iodized salt to the hide. Be sure toliberally salt the edges and any folds in the skin. Work the salt into the headand tail. Any unsalted spot is unprotected. You should repeat this after thefirst application of salt becomes saturated with moisture, usually in two to threedays. The curing lasts about ten to fourteen days. With a smaller animal likethis (if you prefer) you can simply tack it down and let it dry if you haveproperly prepared it (i.e. scrapped, cut off any excess, no folds in skin).

Step5Cure the pelt

Get a pickle jar and some denatured alcohol. The alcoholpreserves the skin and locks in the fur. Mix it 50/50 with water and soak thepelt in it for a day.

<o:p</o

Step 6Finish<o:p></o>

Wash with a mild detergent and dry (it maytake a couple of times to get the alcohol smell out) the pelt then go to yourlocal shoe cobbler (if there is one left) and get some Neatsfoot oil. Its a cowshin extract that will give the skin some pliability. Just work it in but don'tuse to much to fast. You can use a saddle soap or Mink oil too. Keep working itto make it more pliable.....

That's it, a quick pelt cure. Ive never tried this on a deer but have a hide inthe freezer that I plan to give a shot with. Will post results!

9. allaboutpitbull

allaboutpitbull Big Dog

i found this thought it was a good guide

10. LOL I hope you're joking

11. allaboutpitbull

allaboutpitbull Big Dog

dam lol i wasent what i miss boogie lol shoot i was looking for something step by step lol thats what i found lol whats wrong with it

12. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Stretch the hide out, scrape it, use plain salt. Put it where it wont get rained on and let it cure. Keep plenty of salt on it. After its cured wash it good to get as much salt out as you can. Cut it up in strips. Forget them last steps. You're doing it for a dog to chew on, not to make a jacket to wear. lol

13. allaboutpitbull

allaboutpitbull Big Dog

lol right i wasn’t planning on oiling it up lol i just put the hole guide up minus some pic i was not able to up load well i think i pretty much got it thanks every one for the help

14. That's for getting a hide ready for taxidermy :) I wouldn't want my dog chewing on shit with those chemicals in it ;)

15. allaboutpitbull

allaboutpitbull Big Dog

got you bud but up to step 4 its pretty much matches with everyone’s way of doing it