1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

another newb question

Discussion in 'Products & Equipment' started by blanch, Jul 14, 2009.

1. blanch

blanch Big Dog

can i just use a normal weight pullin harness on my dog if i was going to use light weight and run with him? Also is this likely to cause any health/joint problems for him? i already run 5-6 miles a day with him so id probably just do this once or twice a week and slow the pace right down and start with a shorter distance

2. roe1880

roe1880 Big Dog

im a bit confused.... if your using a weight pull harness then of course you should have a bit of weight... what is the dog dragging behind him???? If your running the dog for a long distance the weight pull harness should not be used... just get either a weighted collar or vest... for long walks or runs. Also how old is the dog? If it's still a pup you should wait until he has fully developed physically before you start to do weights and or any dragging. I'm no expert but I am telling you what I was told when I 1st got into weight pulling, which wasn't that long ago...lol.... Hope this helps....:D

3. Advocate

Advocate Big Dog

5-6 miles a day! What do you use for paw protection? What kind of turf does yor dog run on?

I cant run my female more than a mile or 2 or shel split a pad. She pulls non stop and were on road pavement, problem is she doesnt show any signs of pain so shes only been getting walks lately.

4. blanch

blanch Big Dog

hes just turned 1 year old,i would probably not go more than 3 miles with him pulling weight and id try to build up into it,he hasnt done any weight pullin so far and doesnt even have a harness yet,i run him in the wooded paths which lead onto fields mainly and his paws have been fine so far, although if he started pulling weight id look into how to protect and look after his paws, hes good on the lead (until he sees a rabbit or other dog) doesnt pull at all,i was thinkin about gettin a weighted vest but that seemed like it would be worse on his joints,what about sled pulling dogs? i take it they use different harnesses, sorry if im comin off as a clueless idiot lol im not in a hurry and im goin to look much more into all this before i ever attempt it, thanks for the replies btw