1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Anaphylactic shock?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by NorCalTim, Aug 8, 2011.

1. NorCalTim

NorCalTim Big Dog

A friends pup passed away yesterday.
    She was fine all day (plying with other dogs, etc.).

Then boom.
    Tongue swell, blood, etc.
    Big bummer.

The vet said it was most likely Anaphylactic shock.
    Bummer.

If that was what killed her, it may be like being allergic to peanuts. It was just a matter of time until she came into contact with what killed her.

I have never heard of something like this happening.
    Has anyone else had any experiences with something similar?

I think it may be a matching of bad genes.
    Or, shit luck.
    The APBT is somewhat bullet proof.

2. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

Everyone should keep Epi Pens on hand in case something like this occurs problem is if your not there to witness it or you do not recognize the signs of Anaphylactic shock the animal is as good as dead. You only have but a few minutes to counteract the histamine reaction for life threatening allergic reactions like the one that killed your friends dog. Any chance the dog could have been stung by a bee? Or bitten by a spider? Could have also been an allergy related to a food. Many times when Allergic Reactions occur Dr.s will never find the source of the reaction they just treat the symptoms. Common signs of a life threatening reaction are wheezing, difficulty breathing from the air ways closing up, hives, swelling of the mouth, tongue, and throat, severe drop in blood pressure, fainting, and eventually death if an EPI injection is not issued right away. I encourage everyone to carry an EPI pen and learn how to use it these things save lives and give you the time you need to get to the ER. or in this case the vet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgvnt8YA7r8

3. NorCalTim

NorCalTim Big Dog

Hello. Thanks for the input. Yes, the pup could have been stung by a bee, or bite by something. The vet thought the same thing. I will look into the EPI pen. It does sound like a good thing to have around.

4. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

The most comon death du to Anaphylactic shock umongst pitbull pups is Polyuterane poision. witch can be from the stuffing of pilows inside of cautches and inside of toys!!. the best redemy is Dexamethazone. yesterday somebody who i know had a grown bitch that got it
    they whent to the vet and afther a shot it disapeard. the simtomes of polyuterane posoning are swollon head sometime vometing and raized circels lumps on the skin..

5. BullDawg

BullDawg Big Dog

benedryl can be used as well. had one bitch get stung by a bee. mouth swelled, etc. just dosed her with that. everything worked out.

6. my male takes reactions to plants all the time mostly lumps under the fur then il give him a couple of antihistamine tablets and i can see the difference within half an hour. a few months ago me and a few friends were out with my male walking a set of woods we had only been in a few times when we were attacked by wasps the dog was stung twice but only had small lumps and i was quite worried.a few weeks before hand he chewed on a common stinging nettle his tongue swellt closing the airway luckily i was near my auntys house who also suffers from lot of allergies so i ran to there by this point a thought that was it the dog was struggling for air so much i could see his lungs get enough air but he was struggling to get it back out aswell so when i got him into thehouse i put water down first then my aunty gave me some of her prescription liquid antihistamine i poured it into a slice of ham knowing my dog loves his food it was the only to make him take it quickly within a few minutes the dog looked alot more comfortable in his breathing actions i also put some in the water because he was drinking alot and i also gave him i little more on ham i also got my mum to call the vet to make sure this was finehe said it was but i reallyexpected the wasp sting to affect him more im from the uk im not sure wat brand it il be in the us but i use stuff labelled as chlorphenamine maleate 4mg tablets for the minor allergies il find out what my aunty gave me but a couldnt say what dose but it wasnt alot id reckon maybe 10 ml im curious can epi pensbe used on dogs i was under the impression that stuff is adrenylin my aunty has one aswell jsut reckon if u can the dose would be different im not saying you cant maybe u have experiance in this like a said just curious

7. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

If a dog goes into Anaphylactic shock benedryl is not enough to save a dog's life it doesn't even work fast enough to keep the dog alive. You have to administer epinephrine within minutes or the dog's going to die.