1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

an eye for a good pup

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by hnelson, Mar 16, 2012.

1. hnelson

hnelson Big Dog

Hey guys just wondering what are some good things you all look for when picking a new pup out of the litter? Thanks in advance.

2. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Four legs, able to walk. lol Just kiddin. How alert they are. How active. Attitude. Reaction to noises. And its still a gamble. lol

3. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

I use the peanut butter technique but its a secret LMAO.

4. hnelson

hnelson Big Dog

I guess I'll just hafe to buy from you bigblock ;)

5. Laced Wit Game

Laced Wit Game Yard Boy

Nutella works better! Lol

6. Saiyagin

Saiyagin Chihuahua

LMAO ah yeah thats the spread for only EXPERIENCED breeders LMAO

7. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

all jokes aside it depends on what you want the dog to do homie. also take a good look at the parents and see how they act. it really comes down to parents and grandparents.

8. jacko

jacko CH Dog

sometimes it"s gut instinct which draws you to a pup.
    some people go for the pup which is the most out going and bold.
    one way is to view the litter as a whole then remove all the males or females then remove the others one by one till you have only one left. but it is still a gamble.

9. gunman2376

gunman2376 Big Dog

a pitbull breeder (ain't droping the name but he produced good ones) once told me he would pick a pup he liked, or one that his son or nephew (don't recal exactly) liked and would cull the rest of the litter, that is gamble ;)

and when looking at his dogs, man he was more than lucky

it amazed me because i though he would keep dogs and cull those that didn't worked, nope, he would pick one from the litter, i understood it as a feeling thing

10. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

Lol you would have a small yard to take care of then. I havnt sold a dog in 25 years. But in the next couple of years if I do have a litter and let any go I'll keep you in mind and if you're interested I'll give you one. Like Jacko said I think the gut instinct is the best thing to go with. Like OKC said the parents and grandparents are of help but not a promise of what the offspring will be. My last male pup picked me out. lol That nutella is some good stuff.

11. when picking a pup assume that it is an all game litter. all will be game to the core. look for what pup has the traits that will fit your likeings. for example i have a litter of 7 .1st thing is too look for major defects, one female has a respiratory issue, culled. next thing i look for is bone structure since this is the hardest to correct in a line . so i look at my litter and pick all the ones that have good structure . They all had good structure so i didnt weed any one with that one. now i look at hide. mama has a thin hide that is week , father has a thick meaty hide, so i pick them all up by their hide, all felt good but one, culled .next is mouth, of course i cant tell who can do what so once again i look at the parents, mama has two teeth that rub and dig a channel in her cutters. papa has a undershot jaw. (they are too young now i will have to wait about a month for this step. ) once that is all said and done i should have a litter of pups with no major defects. the next step will take place at about 6 mo. i will start to look at the way the play. pay close attention problem solving, at this stage you will beable to pick out the smart one from the dumb ones. (remember dont cull out dumb ones just note the smart from dumb for future reference . ) next is at about 9 mo. They should be fully separated by now, two at a time watch them play. pay close attention to wind , drive, agility , style ect. (just keep in mind they are puppies.) by now you should have a solid defect free litter. You should know who is the smart ones and who are the dummies. You should know who takes after the genes your going for. .nnext is the waiting game your true pick/s will smack you in the face at about 14-24 mo... just remember if your picking a pup on gamness , yea its a gamble. but if you know what to look for in a pup you can gamble under house rules and better your chances and better your line ten fold....

hope i helped -True Culling-

12. by the way nuttella has artificial flavors that may lead to cancer =] go all natural my friends lol

13. elifan

elifan Big Dog

You got alot of stuff going on with your aproach to pup's,I agree with your view on the health defect's but you don't know if you have a bulldog till 16 to 18 months and you still don't know for sure then

14. elifan

elifan Big Dog

When I pick a pup I assume they are all garbage and Iam hoping I picked the only good one,I've seen hot pup's at a young at turn out to be garbage and I've seen the shy one's grow up to be good dog's,It's a gamble

15. NGK

NGK Top Dog

Pick 1 blind, your chances are about as good as anyone elses.

NGK

16. sadieblues

sadieblues CH Dog

They are pups they all shit and piss vinegar lol I just like the active pups who don't shy away from objects or noises so that's what I tend to look for I like confident pups how they turn out can change drastically as they mature so you pick one and hope it turns out for ya :)

17. bgblok68

bgblok68 CH Dog

What do you do about the shitty quality of air thats around today?

18. i notice most pick on guessing or attitude. thats just a plain waste of time. they all have the same chance to become a good dog. but look at it this way , say we have two pups to choose from. one has a crooked mouth bow legs thin hide dumb as a rock runs out of breath after short walks. the other has deep ribbs, perfect jaw line, good at problem solving , and a very thick hide. both act great. both have the same chance of turn out to be nice. are you gonna go and randomly pick one of the two? if so your an idiot. the defected one at very very best will only make a good hunter. where on the other hand at very best the good structured hound has a body and gene type that would make him a great worker all around not just gameness. . . what im trying to say is that pups from the same litter same parents will have the same chance of becomeing curs or bulldogs. do you want the bulldog with defects or with out is the question. . .what pup has the body and structure to help he be an ace. that bow legged crooked mouthed dumb as a rock hound will never make an ace because he doesnt have the tools , he may make a good bulldog but not the best.. anyone game breed gameness into a line in a matter of a few generations. but skeletal defects will take a life time to fix.. . next time you pick a put forget about it working out or not. what one has the body of an athlete . what one has a body that will alow him to go all the way. you can have the gamest dog in the world but if its in the body of a slob the best it will ever be is a game dog. i want a foundation quality ace, and no defected pup is gonna turn out to be that

19. I plant ferns and ficus everywhere. apple trees and peaches. i drive a honda . and i replace my hepa filters often. How about your self?

20. elifan

elifan Big Dog

There's a lot of great dog's that have bad conformation,If you can pick a great pup by your method every time you have to be the best dog man in the world