1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

"An American Tragedy"

Discussion in 'Pit Bull News' started by Suki, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Suki

Suki Guest

2. ChAnimal

ChAnimal Big Dog

Re: "An American Tragedy"

"don't allow dogs to be placed on chains" or something along them lines it said, and the reply's to the vid are pretty stupid take a read.

3. Esse818

Esse818 Big Dog

man, that hit the spot hopefully the govener can see that.

4. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Sad video.

Before one advocates the pit bull, they really must research him completely, and change the statement of: "don't allow dogs to be placed on chains" to a far more accurate: "don't isolate and neglect your untrained dog by putting him on a 4 foot chain and forgetting about him. This will make him crazy."

People against dog chaining don't understand when chaining is not only acceptable, but damned wise. They see a chain and POOF! They place the chained dog into one of two categories:1. An isolated, sick, miserable, slowly dying yard ornament. 2. An agitated, untrained, unsocialized, mentally compromised, potentially dangerous animal. They do not know anything about working dogs, they only know dogs as pets. They do not know a well cared for working/game dog is socialized, given proper mental stimulation, quite frequently OFF the chain, and trained right. This dog poses no threat to public safety. His chain is up to code and his owner knows what's what. Yes, these dogs are secured by chains. In the exact same way show horses are secured in their stalls when they aren't being exercised, shown or getting spoiled by their owners. The show horse isn't "isolated in a stall". The properly cared for working/gamedog is not "forgotten about on a chain". Therefore he is exempt from any and all the points people make when attempting to pass anti chaining legislation, which include:
    Any dog constantly chained, isolated, untrained and unsocialized is without a doubt potentially dangerous. He has possibly grown hyper-territorial over his small space, his lack of care, training and socialization, combined with his isolation is also likely to create an unstable animal more apt to bite. This factoid is not breed specific: ANY breed of dog kept constantly chained (combined with piss poor/zero training and socialization) are 2.8 times more likely to bite than unchained dogs. Also, people who are slack enough to chain their "pet" dog all the time without proper care rarely spay or neuter. Sexually intact dogs are 2.6 times more likely to bite than neutered dogs. Here is the link of my source for these figures. http://enhs.umn.edu/6120/bites/dogbiterisk.html

On this site we are strongly disapprove of backyard breeders and these jackass wannabee dog fighters who breed/purchase mutts left and right for deep woods or inner city apartment gorefests. Why? Because these morons are responsible for the public flogging and defamation of our breed. However, there is also another contributor we should hand responsibity to: the ignorant person or family who wants a pet dog publicly known as a badass/protection dog. What do they choose? A Pit, Rot, shepherd or Dobie. Often, the dog is purchased as a pup, is barely trained if at all, and when the owners can't figure out why the dog won't quit crapping on the rug or eating Baby number 7's shitty diapers out of the garbage, he is eventually banished to the backyard on...a chain (or nylon tether). He isn't vetted, damn sure not spayed/neutered, or even bothered with. He is now becoming a mentally unstable dog. Ignorant pet bull owners who chain/tether/mistreat/neglect pit bulls are also contributing to our woes. They know nothing about the APBT, they fail to train, and tie him up in isolation. He gets loose or someone wanders too close and he attacks. Wammo, we take the blame again for a moron. All dogs treated this way are better off being euthanized. A solitary pissed off half crazy dog tied to a tree behind a trailer has no quality of life, is dangerous not to mention pointless.

Of course the chain isn't the issue-it's the human ignorance on dog ownership, with the chain simply being an accelerator for an accident, according to these reports, anyway. Loose dogs can bite, chained dogs can bite. The common denominator in these bites is the UNTRAINED dogs owned by the UNTRAINED humans.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2006
  5. bahamutt99

bahamutt99 CH Dog

Thanks for sharing that. My opinion about the chains is that they are only as bad or as good as the person using them. Kinda like our breed.

6. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Damn right. A chain can be a contributor or an inhibitor to an accident, depending on how it is used. When used properly/intelligently- the chain is obviously the only practical solution to an APBT ranch/kennel/yard.
    When used as an excuse not to deal with the dog you bought, problems are gonna arise.
    Unfortunately- lots and lots of people don't know or understand this. I had a very sad consultation with a woman last week who wanted me to find a home for her 7 year old pit who had been kept on a 3 foot chain her whole life, with limited family socialization only. The dog had grown human aggressive (particularly towards children) since the death of her husband in 2004. He was the dog's primary caretaker- though "caretaking" is not what I'd call leaving a dog on a 3 foot chain 95 % of the time with zero training. She also said neighborhood kids were teasing and aggrivating the dog.
    She loved the dog, but couldn't keep her anymore because of a $100,000 insurance liability legislation her city passed for pit bull owners she couldn't afford.
    I gently advised humane euthanasia for the dog. I never met the dog, so I'm not the best consultant, but I told her in no way shape or form was the dog adoptable unless she could afford rigorous and highly reputitable rehab/training, which would still carry no guarantee. She said she truly felt the dog would harm a child. I told her the pain and suffering she would experience if the dog harmed/killed a child would be far worse than the decision to put the dog down.
    The scariest part to me is: she had no idea she had been enabling the dogs downward spiral, and was even oblivious to the fact that rehoming this dog into society was a possible death sentence for a child.
    Was the chain the culprit? Hell to the nah, but the way she used it to babysit her dog was a large part of it.

7. Unregistered

Unregistered Guest

thats a nice dog

8. Esse818

Esse818 Big Dog

thanks, shes my pup

9. Rottweilerlvr

Rottweilerlvr Big Dog

Well, bring the jury out!! I made ' A American Tragedy', it's on my signature. Hmmm... Some cities were trying to enforce breed bans without even trying leash laws first, going from one extreme to another. I should have worded the 'chain line' differently, but I do remember their is a stat out there somewhere about how some dogs can be more aggressive on a chain, but of course, that has to do with people leaving them out their and not doing anything with them... I tend to agree with bahamutt99... I apologize if my video offended anyone.

10. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

I knew you did, hon. I caught your name at the end. Don't cheapen the beauty of your video by getting too upset over one little squabble about the chains. It was damned moving, and it hit home. I got pretty choked up over it. Did you read my post? I included the data which suggests how chaining can exacerbate aggression when combined with other factors.

Wanna know a little secret? I'm a DDB rep, been one awhile and haven't ever seen the need to withdraw completely...but I only use my resources to help gather materials and build fences for people who can't afford it. I help isolated dogs get off short chains, and use my resources to help people give their isolated "pet" dogs a better quality of life. Working dogs are a different kind of animal, however. A well trained and cared for working dog on a chain should be eliminated from these endeavors from do good animal groups like DDB. Doing good should be an outreach type program- educating, not legislating. The working dogs have enough problems from legislation, anti chaining laws just add another chigger in the unmentionables. :p
    It's the people with no business owning a rottie or a pit bull that get us into trouble. The working dog isn't killing kids, it's the byb dog and the untrained "pet" or "guard" dog.
    Your video is very important, and yes-chaining the dog you don't bother training can aggrivate a tendency to bite.

Stick around, my dear. Don't get upset, just understand certain things can light a spark when our breed is on the line and it seems everyone is against us. ;)
    Again, the video is awesome.

11. Rottweilerlvr

Rottweilerlvr Big Dog

Oh, I'm not upset about it... Now that I have read some of the posts, I realize I should have worded it differently... Try to understand, I was thinking about people who fight pitbulls and keep them on chains, and I was also thinking about the rottweiler who was on a chain, broke the chain, and mauled a jogger who now has neuratical(sp) damage and the dog has since been put down.

UPDATE ON JOY- Stray pitbull

I've named her Joy, she continues to do well here.. She has made a drastic improvement on the leash with the few days I've had her. I have had no response from the flyers, I have now posted a 'found' sign on Craigslist. I have several pitbull owner coworkers at work, one who raises and breeds them, who is going to help me find a home for her if no one comes to claim her. I just want to make sure she ends up in a good home, that's my main goal. He came over and looked at her, and said that it looks like she just had a litter of puppies and then was probably dumped. ( The Chatachoee River( I can't spell it nor can I say it, lol) is right behind my apartment community, a dumping ground of sorts...:mad: ) It looks like she might have the beginning signs of mange, as she has some hair loss around her hips and tail area, and she continues to stratch and itch there, even after a bath and anti- itch cream. I'll be taking her to the vet on Monday to get that checked out. I pray she doesn't have heartworms, but if it turns out she does have mange like I suspect, she will more and likely will have heartworms... :( Anyway, I'll give more of an update in a few days!!!

12. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Some bulldog mixes are prone to skin conditions down here...my brother in law has an AB ate up with dermatitis, it's a constant battle. Vet says its a genetic sensitivity. Bathing can aggrivate it. We used Gold Bond on her for awhile, but I never could tell if it was working. She didn't have dematectic mange as I suspected. Up her on the omegas and bathe her as little as possible. Hot spot ointments or salves can help sometimes, depending on whats causing it.
    If it is mange, pray for sarcoptic!

Glad to hear all is well...

13. truegames

truegames Big Dog

Great video Im a fan of both breeds I have a 7 year old rottie that has been a great dog that is very protective of her family and home.

14. purplepig

purplepig CH Dog

Get some Kresso for the skin condition, make sure to keep the dog saturated with it for about 2 min. Why do you think if the dog has mange it has heartworms? I fail to see the connection. Also, you said you were against people having fighting dogs on chains? Would you care to allaborate upon this statement? The whole chain makes the dog crazy thing is nuts. My dogs are on a 10-12' chain. That means in order for you to build a kennel to give the dog the same amount of room, you'd have to build a 20 X 20, in case your math is bad, that means that a normal 10 X 10 that is sold comercially is 1/4 the area my dogs are allowed to roam. Heard a guy back out of the chain is bad statement once, and said well, as long as they are not chained to the point where they can get close to each other but not touch each other, ...if you have several kennels built side by side, this is worse than have the chain runs close to touching but not touching, because in the kennel they can actually get to each other alittle. And may tear through the fence and you come home with a very bad accident on your hands. Anyone who says it is wrong to have a bulldog on a chain is very ignorant and has no idea what reponsible containment is all about. It is amazing that the same folks who say chain is bad, will say it is perfectly ok to keep a dog locked up in a port a kennel.

15. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

The simple act of chaining alone doesn't make the dog nuts. Never said that. It's the constant isolation combined with poor/little training and zero socialization which can contribute to a mental/temperament issue. Be it a chain, kennel, pen, rope, tv cable (a popular one for the real scumbags) whatever. The length of the chain and the size of the kennel also can be aggravators: A 10 foot chain is a hell of a lot better than a 3 foot chain, and a 10' x 10' pen is a hell of a lot better than a port kennel when a dog isn't properly cared for. I also exempted all working bulldogs from this as well. My focus was directed at folks who buy a dog (ANY breed)as a "pet" then use the chain as an excuse never to deal with the animal.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2006
    Vicki likes this.
  16. c10d

c10d Big Dog

I thought that video was great, but also really sad. I couldn't take seeing the pictures of the abused/neglected dogs. Especially the one hanging from the tree. If I ever saw anyone doing something like that to a dog, I wouldnt think twice about breaking their legs.

The CRIMINALS have to be taken care of, not the dogs.

17. Verderben

Verderben CH Dog

what program did you use to make that video?

18. LuvinBullies

LuvinBullies CH Dog

Uh oh...someone just gave me reps for Rottweilerlvrs vid! Thanks a million for the reps, and I love my fans:p, but lets give props where props be due...great video, in spite of how anyone feels about the chaining part- the vid as a whole sends a wonderful message. The chaining is an issue, one not to be overlooked, and anti chaining legislation does affect legit working dogs /owners negatively for sure- but the video sure is worth praise, IMO!

19. Re: "An American Tragedy"

that makes me sad when i see the dogs lookin so bad :(

20. Rottweilerlvr

Rottweilerlvr Big Dog

Thank you everyone!!! I use the program Photodex.com... This is to my page from Photodex... I've been told that some people can't view it, it doesn't work for many people when they are at work... Thanks again for the props on the video!!

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewalbum.html?alb=0

LuvinBullies likes this.