1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Am staff question

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by GT99, Dec 28, 2004.

1. GT99

GT99 Pup

I was looking at the standards for the Am Staffs. They cannot be more than 80% white, no red noses, no eye colour other than brown.

Knowing this, how often do you see an Am staff that would be disqualified, just curious. Is this something that Am staff breeders have been able to breed out of the dogs or are there pure white and red nose gold/green eyes Am staffs still out there?

I have seen Am staff pups for sale but there was alot of rednose/gold eyed and white dogs in the litter. After reading the standards for the breed I wondered if they were pits. I do not really know much about breeding Am staffs or know much about the show breeders and whether they have been able to breed these traits out. I would think that if these type Am staffs were common then the breed standards should be changed to include them if this is natural.

2. Classic

Classic Big Dog

I am sorry, but I don't follow the AKC or UKC standards.
    They are a bunch of junk (IMO)
    Good dogs come in all colors with red or black noses !

3. GT99

GT99 Pup

lol, to be honest I do not know what standards they were, it was the standard in my bathroom book which is "the world of fighting dogs" by Dr Carl Seminic. I have not looked through this book in a long time, I guess it would be good for a newbie or good for the time it came out but the info is very, very basic and I woulnt waste my money on it if I had the chance to take it back. I would guess that it is the AKC standard.

I just noticed that I have never seen an Am staff with those colours in these breed books either.

I am just curious, I love pits and always will, I think that Am staffs are the next best thing. Some people hate on them pretty bad but I think they are nice looking dogs and they can be great companions. I will never understand the hate for them, I can understand why you would wouldnt want to breed them when you want to produce game dogs, put for a great pet there is nothing wrong with that.

I may think that the APBT is the best but there are many dogs I would love to own in my lifetime, I think that the Bullmastiff is one of the best looking dogs in the world. I would love to own one, I have a pit/bullmastiff mix but I would love a purebred. However I dont think I would ever be able to own one, I know that when my dogs pass, I will replace em with the same breed. But who knows

4. circlekpits

circlekpits Guest

The AKC prefers an AMSTAFF to be more no than 80% white but there are quite a few out there that are more. As far as the Red Nose and Eye color is is frowned on by the hard core AMSTAFF people out there to have such of which I am not a hardcore AMSTAFF since I happen to have 2 red noses, 1 male and 1 female. Of course they have gold/green eyes. When registering these red nose it is not listed on thier pedigrees that they are red nose although you can see it in front of you.

The AKC will register all colors, as long as thier parents are registered with the AKC. I mean how can they not?:)