1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Am I correct in the following facts?

Discussion in 'Dog Discussion' started by GAowner, Feb 25, 2007.

1. GAowner

GAowner Pup

My neighborhood seems to be in a tizzy about my dog. My daughter overheard two of the neighborhood kids threatening to shoot or run over my dog if they see him in the yard. the DAY I return to GA, I will be on their doorstep. I am trying to write a letter explaining the facts, and explain hes not a bad dog, etc, etc.

I know i should have had the boy restrained. OK thats done, lets not bring that up anymore ppplllleeeeeeeaaazzzzzzzeee. I have pledged myself to make sure this doesnt happen again and that somehow, someway I can undo just a tad of the negativity I have brought on this breed.

These dogs came into my yard. My APBT did what he was bred to, protect his territory. APBT were originally bred to keep stray animals off farm land. This does not make him dog aggressive

He sees dogs across the street and 2 houses over (20-50 yards away) and never ventures over. He is not dog aggressive.

he gets along with my female bulldog, (shes now been rehomed, my mother in law fell in love with her) and our kitty cat that we rescued. If he was animal agressive, he would not tolerate them.

These fights (or attacks as AC likes to call it) do NOT in ANY way mean he is human aggressive.

Due to poor human aggression, APBT's are typically not used as guard dogs or for protection.

Are the above accurate statements??

I also am going to find a few articles showing the APBT in a good light.

2. Michele

Michele Guest

Is this what you are going to tell your neighbors when you get back? If it was me, i would calmly go and talk to them. I don't know if they will be interested in the facts at this point. The only thing that they are concerned about is a possible replay of the last incident. Just tell them that the dog will be "safely" confined and supervised. You might want to think about maybe getting some kind of alarm system just in case someone does go on your property with the intent to harm your dog. You can also maybe take the dog, on a leash to your neighbors to let them see how the dog is......whatever you decide to do, i wish you luck

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2007
  3. GAowner

GAowner Pup

I am using the above statements in a 2 page letter to the 15 other homeowners. I believe them to be true but it wouldnt be the first time i was wrong. I am trying to let my neighbors know this doesnt make the dog a bad dog.

4. Michele

Michele Guest

if you do a google search, just put in "pitbull" and alot of articles will come up. I used alot of those articles when I wrote to Councilman Vallone. I would still look into some kind of alarm system just in case....do you bring your dogs in at night?

5. GAowner

GAowner Pup

Nope

:) We only have the one dog now but they were/are inside dogs. At the moment, we only have the dog run, so he will be supervised while outside. In my letter I did mention our camera system.

I'll do a google search. I was hoping to get a quick general opionion if my statements are accurate from experienced APBT owners.

6. LOL

A prey drive driven animal used as a flock/farm guardian? FALSE

7. Michele

Michele Guest

good luck.....i hope it works out for you

8. Scotsman

Scotsman Top Dog

Where did you get the thing about keeping stray animals off farm land?

9. GAowner

GAowner Pup

Actually I would have sworn I read it off an article or post from this site. Had to be, this is pretty much the only dog site I go to.

Guess I read wrong

10. ghost 1

ghost 1 CH Dog

i told my neighbors and the city council here when they start making my morgage payment they can tell me what i have on my property,,,

personally you need to tell them to mind they're own business as long as your dog stays on your property it really is non of there business

11. PitBull_30

PitBull_30 Top Dog

APBTs were bred to do combat with other dogs. Some people believe they are in fact the true, pure old time bulldog and in that case they were originally bred to catch or bait large animals, in particular, bulls. Either way we can trace pedigrees back to dogs in the 1840s and they have been bred for the box ever since. Probably way before that as well. After 31 generations the blood is 100% gone from the dog therefore even if pits were the original bulldog that blood is gone.

Just because he is not DA towards those dogs doesn't mean he won't be towards others. I don't think anyone can say with certainty that there dog isn't any specific thing. In the right circumstances a dog can be just about anything. If he has never shown DA before and still does not *with strange dogs* and is properly contained I think you can say he is not DA.

Dogs act different toward a dog they live with under the supervision of the pack leader and with strange dogs. I think it is good to point out how he acts towards other dogs though.

*TRUE* Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner! I think you should STRESS this and make sure you find good articles and such to back it up.

True. Another one to stress.

I don't think I saw the other thread so I may be repeating something. Most of the time people will be more afraid of him "attacking a child next" instead of for their dogs so I'd stress the DA does not = HA part. I'll PM you some pics you can show to help prove this. Also, I wouldn't try to make excuses or anything. Your dog was not properly contained and if you are sorry about it I think people will be more sympathetic and willing to listen. JMHO.

12. Old Timer

Old Timer CH Dog

i posted the my remarks in blue so you could be sure and read it real easy.for the most part you are right but your a little misguided on some things.if i was you i would just walk up to the people you are having problems with and say look.my dog is a good dog i am going to properly contain him so he does not make you guys feel nervous because we all live here and i want everyone to be happy.but i also don't want you or your friends or family to take drastic steps towards my dog.if you have any problems come straight to me and well will settle it in a human civilized manner.but be warned if you do anything to harm my dog i will prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law.

13. Suki

Suki Guest

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Old Timer again.

very well said, this last paragraph, inparticular

14. MercedesMama

MercedesMama Guest

I got it for the both of us ;)

15. Marty

Marty Guest

Yeah I had to spread a lil' love myself :D

16. Suki

Suki Guest

Tx honey!

i HATE that!... :(

17. GAowner

GAowner Pup

Usually i would SO AGREE with you...... But we recently moved here (hence all the problems and me not knowing better). its a small HOA with 16 or 17 houses. We all share a lake where we go skiing, etc and a common dock area. Plus my kids play with the other kids (not the ones who made the threat, they are a tad older and just moved in the neighborhhod)

So I kind of have to suck it up and make nice/nice or its going to be pretty awkward in the summer at the lake.

18. GAowner

GAowner Pup

and thanks for all the helpful posts.

19. Attila

Attila Guest

That is the best advice right there.

every one knows how I feel about being threatened at this point. I don't have a fuse. I just go off when touched by heat.

20. Texasbulldogs

Texasbulldogs Top Dog

I know i should have had the boy restrained. OK thats done, lets not bring that up anymore ppplllleeeeeeeaaazzzzzzzeee.
    Being you're fully aware of the errors on your part, stop with the excuse sheet on how the breed is/or supposed to be. Stick to the basics...apologize and offer to pay a minimum of half the veterinary bills they may of incurred with their dog. Then apologize once again and insure them the dog will not be left to roam free-will ever again.