1. Welcome to Game Dog Forum

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dismiss Notice

Alternative High Fiber Dry Feed

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Steeldog, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Steeldog

Steeldog Big Dog

Looking for help on finding an alternative high fiber dry Feed to this:

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Gastrointestinal Fiber Response HF Dry Dog Food

Ingredients
    Chicken meal, rice, chicken fat, powdered cellulose, rice hulls, ground corn, wheat, corn gluten meal, natural flavors, wheat gluten, dried beet pulp, fish oil, monocalcium phosphate, brewers dried yeast, psyllium seed husk, sodium silico aluminate, potassium chloride, salt, calcium carbonate, fructooligosaccharides, L-lysine, vegetable oil, hydrolyzed yeast, taurine, choline chloride, DL-methionine, Vitamins [DL-alpha tocopherol acetate (source of vitamin E), L-ascorbyl-2- polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), biotin, D-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, niacin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), riboflavin supplement (vitamin B2), folic acid, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement], marigold extract (Tagetes erecta L.), Trace Minerals [zinc oxide, zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, manganese proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite], rosemary extract, preserved with natural mixed tocopherols and citric acid.

Protein % Min 21.5 Fat % Min 14.5 Fiber % Max 12.5 Moisture % Max 10.0

It's made of crap but it's what works for my bulldog!! I'm getting a prescription for it through the vet and it's expensive. I can order it online for the same expensive price. Looking for an alternative dry high fiber dry feed which I can buy off the shelf.
    I've dewormed, tried antibiotics, RAW, and different five star premium feeds. RAW and grainless premium feeds do not agree with his stomach. So far only getting good stool results with the Royal Canine Gastrointestinal High Fiber Response. But like I said, looking for a cheaper alternative.

2. yerichoffpits

yerichoffpits Big Dog

3. Steeldog

Steeldog Big Dog

4. brindlexpitt

brindlexpitt Top Dog

How long did you try a different feed for before you switched?

5. Dream Pits

Dream Pits CH Dog

Why not jus manually add fiber to the diet?

6. Steeldog

Steeldog Big Dog

Three mons. Then after seeing no results with with consistency I'd switch.

7. Steeldog

Steeldog Big Dog

I used to experiment and add rice white/brown when trying the premium feeds. Hardly helped any. What I'm using that was prescribed works awesome. Just need something cheaper that worms just as good.

8. AGK

AGK Super duper pooper scooper Administrator

add canned pumpkin to the dogs feed, tons of fiber.

9. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

yeah the canned pumpkin is great or even metamucil or fibercon.

10. ElJay

ElJay CH Dog

rices aren't really high fiber, they're high starch/carb.

11. The main reasons for adding fiber to a dog's diet are to encourage regular bowel movements, alleviate constipation and to help dogs lose weight by creating a greater sense of fullness in the stomach. Adding fiber is as easy as adding high fiber cereals, over-the-counter supplements or incorporating healthy human foods such as pumpkin into a dog's diet. To avoid potential health hazards related to a low-fiber diet, such as impacted anal sac glands, always include fiber in dog food on a regular basis.Fiber can absorb water directly into the colon. The enlarged stools fiber can produce is able to place added pressure on a dog’s anal sacs during defecation.

12. yerichoffpits

yerichoffpits Big Dog

that will be to far to ship food from belgium to you

13. Sweet potatoes are also high in fiber. Check out Natural Balance. Their LID grain-free formulas have potatoes as the first ingredient.

14. Limey kennels

Limey kennels CH Dog

Try soaking your Dry food Kibble this way . [video=youtube_share;d_xLCaIJrv4]http://youtu.be/d_xLCaIJrv4[/video] it wil help your dog to diguest its food mutch beter and your dog gets perfect poop.

15. okcdogman82

okcdogman82 Top Dog

ok fellas which has more fiber the pumpkin or sweet potatoe? also is it safe to add metamusil to your hounds feed?

16. corvettedex

corvettedex CH Dog

:cool:I dont know much about fiber or feeds, However i hade a 18month old bulldog eat a rope... This rope was about 2inch around and 18 inches long.. He was very sick and wouldnt eat or drink any water. Right before i was putting him in the truck to get him to a vet, I old dog man called me & told me to go to the grocery store and buy a can of pumpkin and force feed him the can with a spoon. I did...& about 2 hours later he past that rope and lived !!! A 99cent can of pumpkin ! lol Good luck to you !

17. corvettedex

corvettedex CH Dog

Also for the sake of the Dog man that called me, Mr Joel Kirby RIP just passed away recently ...... He had lots of knowledge and will missed & remembered as well..........